_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Idea for realistic .30 cal ammo belts
gettomonkey69
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 09, 2012 - 03:46 PM UTC
Hi,
new here ... awesome site ! I've been reading LOTS of useful info from here so I thought I'd offer an idea....

well, it's a suggestion/query anyway for making .30 cal ammo belts. Not those PE ones - too flat; or the plastic variety - not mailable enough;

....wondering if it could it be done as a dry transfer Like Archer does with fabrics and wood grain ? I haven't eyeballed either of these Archer products so am just thinking out aloud...
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 04:41 AM UTC
Hey Carl, welcome to armorama!

I'm not really sure how thick those transfers are- my guess is they would probably end up roughly the same thickness as the PE belts you mentioned. I also don't like these much myself. I have seen some good renditions of bullet belts in resin (which, if heated, can be bent into shape- to fit around a figure or into a feed chamber etc). Personally my preference would be resin and it sure would be nice to see some sets of belts of ammunition in various calibers.
gettomonkey69
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 14 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 12:14 PM UTC
Hey Karl,

Thanks for the welcome !

I should get some of the Archer sets to see for myself .... their rivets apparently come up pretty convincingly (not flat) .... so was wondering if they did the same in an ammo belt design (with minimal carrier film) where you join two rows (carefully aligned) forming a convincing 3d result.....

Otherwise, the best I've seen so far (in the 1/35 .30 cal 'zone') are the white metal 1/32 MG42 ammo belts by Andrea... but which could still have their problems (the tips bend out of shape easily) and are sometimes hard to get.

I'm still waiting for someone like Voyager to bring out individual brass rounds so I can get busy with my American Beauty and make my own belts....

Cheers

Carl
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hot water will allow you to typically make the styrene versions pretty malleable. Kinda depends on what you're trying to do.
 _GOTOTOP