Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 S 300 5N63S FLAP LID B RADAR
njtp80
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 89 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hi,i am new comer, really enjoying small scale 1/72 modeling , here is my work just done recently,

The kits is from PST 1/72 S 300 5N63S FLAP LID B RADAR, nice kit, but poor detail, i did lots of scratch build,by using PE parts form different sets, i tried my best to make it look 85% same of real vehicle...

PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 11, 2012 - 10:54 PM UTC
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum,

Truly amazing work. The level of detail and your scratchbuilding skills are very high.
Congratulations on a fantastic piece.

P.A.
Korpse
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 382 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Monday, February 13, 2012 - 12:34 PM UTC
Hi Paul

welcome

thats an amazing amount of super-detailing on this model, looks like many, many hours of additional work, and the end result is fantastic

cheers
Neil
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 07:06 AM UTC
one word, wonderful!
thank you for sharing..
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
njtp80,

Good to see you here. I helped jusdge this model at Heritagecon last weekend (where it won Best Armour). Having looked at it long and hard I would like to pass on a couple of the comments that we, the judges, were making at the time.

- The scope of the work was very impressive as was the execution of the build. Extremely nice.
- the model was let down by the finish. It was too high-gloss. For a 1/72 model it really should be dead flat everywhere. No shine at all on the painted surfaces, especially if it's been weathered. If the paint is normally even high gloss, the most the model should be is semigloss, and then only if clean.
- We also thought that some of the weathering was a tad heavy handed, again, especially for 1/72 scale. The streaking and colour variation needed to be a bit more subtle and a lot less shiney.

These are meant to be constructive criticisms. If the finish was better, this model would definitely be a contender for best armour at even the AMPS nationals. It's a great build.

Good work!

Paul
r2d2
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 424 posts
Armorama: 419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 - 10:59 AM UTC
I'm used to doing a lot of tiny details especially in braille but your build rocks! Its a show stopper and few modeller can deliver what you have done especially at this scale. Well done!
njtp80
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 07:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

njtp80,

Good to see you here. I helped jusdge this model at Heritagecon last weekend (where it won Best Armour). Having looked at it long and hard I would like to pass on a couple of the comments that we, the judges, were making at the time.

- The scope of the work was very impressive as was the execution of the build. Extremely nice.
- the model was let down by the finish. It was too high-gloss. For a 1/72 model it really should be dead flat everywhere. No shine at all on the painted surfaces, especially if it's been weathered. If the paint is normally even high gloss, the most the model should be is semigloss, and then only if clean.
- We also thought that some of the weathering was a tad heavy handed, again, especially for 1/72 scale. The streaking and colour variation needed to be a bit more subtle and a lot less shiney.

These are meant to be constructive criticisms. If the finish was better, this model would definitely be a contender for best armour at even the AMPS nationals. It's a great build.

Good work!

Paul

First, I am very honored to meet some people like you who are truly professionals.

Second, I am very appreciated your posted comments which i could not hear from the contest.

Third, I will improve it when i do the next model base on your comments, and see you again on Ajax OCT!!!!~~
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 - 10:38 PM UTC
Welcome on board, Paul!
Your model is really impressive. And it is even more impressive, considering this thing is the size of an average 1/35 model and the ammount of work involved in it. I have to admit while looking at those in progress pictures I was little worried I'll see the same insane plastic wheels on the finished model but I was glad to see you used the right ones! Excellent work, congrats!

Quoted Text

njtp80,

Paul

Please forgive me my ignorance, Paul, I'm really sorry but I can't get why this thing cannot be gloss and heavy weathered in the same time. Having some experience with the method of painting of the military vehicles in that country and the weather conditions there as well, I dare to say you're not quite right here.
Cheers!
Ilian
SchoeniR6
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 189 posts
Armorama: 189 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi

Very nice. I can´t belive what I see. This is an absolutly awesome model in this scale. I hope we can see mor of your work. Gratulation to this masterpice.

Cheers Daniel
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Please forgive me my ignorance, Paul, I'm really sorry but I can't get why this thing cannot be gloss and heavy weathered in the same time. Having some experience with the method of painting of the military vehicles in that country and the weather conditions there as well, I dare to say you're not quite right here.
Cheers!
Ilian

It's not so much that the real thing can't be gloss (although models in the field are almost never gloss), it's that in 1/72 scale the "scale effect" will force the appearance of it being flat or, at the very most, semi-gloss. It's not that the gloss it wrong, it's that it looks wrong in this scale. But that's for a clean vehicle. If there is dirt (which is what weathering implies) then the dirt isself acts to flatten the apperance of the model,even if the undelying paint is pure high gloss. The fine particles in the dirt take the shineyness off the gloss surface making the vehicle look very, very flat.

Even higly glossy civilian vehicles look quite flat close up when coated in a fine layer of dust. Step back 100 m (or 1.4m in 1/72 scale and that car will look even flatter. Step back a normal model viewing distance ot 2 m (or over 144m in real terms) and that car should look dead, dead flat.

In addition, if you had seen the model in real life, you'd probably agree that the finish had an "oily" or "greasy" appearance to it which was not reprentative of the real thing.

Of course, if it's a rainy day, things will look much more shiny, but the model and the base did not suggest that it was raining, so that didn't come into it.

All the best,

Paul
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 09:08 AM UTC
Stunning build Sir! Such detail at that scale is truely impressive....
njtp80
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers!
Ilian

It's not so much that the real thing can't be gloss (although models in the field are almost never gloss), it's that in 1/72 scale the "scale effect" will force the appearance of it being flat or, at the very most, semi-gloss. It's not that the gloss it wrong, it's that it looks wrong in this scale. But that's for a clean vehicle. If there is dirt (which is what weathering implies) then the dirt isself acts to flatten the apperance of the model,even if the undelying paint is pure high gloss. The fine particles in the dirt take the shineyness off the gloss surface making the vehicle look very, very flat.

Even higly glossy civilian vehicles look quite flat close up when coated in a fine layer of dust. Step back 100 m (or 1.4m in 1/72 scale and that car will look even flatter. Step back a normal model viewing distance ot 2 m (or over 144m in real terms) and that car should look dead, dead flat.

In addition, if you had seen the model in real life, you'd probably agree that the finish had an "oily" or "greasy" appearance to it which was not reprentative of the real thing.

Of course, if it's a rainy day, things will look much more shiny, but the model and the base did not suggest that it was raining, so that didn't come into it.

All the best,

Paul

I agree!!!!!!!!!
Braille
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,501 posts
Armorama: 1,485 posts
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 - 05:42 PM UTC
@njtp80,

Welcome. Magnificent build! Thanks for sharing your work and hoping to see more of it here.

~ Eddy
Woschti
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 81 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hello Paul,

welcome to the forum and outstanding work from you. Great model with a lot of superb details and scratchwork. And also the model is really exotic sovjet vehicle.

Hope we can see more from your workbench.

Alex
Panther64
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 365 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hey paul!
This is FREAKIN OUTRAGEOUS!!! I LOVE IT!!!
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:33 AM UTC
Excellent work and detailing. It always is difficult to work with this big models. It suppose a great effort sometimes not visible for modellers.

Regards.

Pedro.
 _GOTOTOP