_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
NEWS
Tying-up Alongside Italeri's Harbor
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 12:32 AM UTC
Before anything else, i'd like to give my thanks to Simon Heathwood who, having purchased one of these new releases, was helpful enough to publish photos and details of them on our sister site Model Shipwrights.

These new releases, from the Italian manufacturer, Italeri, are, it has to be said primarily aimed at the ship modeler. However, diorama enthusiasts should find much to recommend them.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

sparky
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 128 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hey Jim

Has Italeri released any pricing information yet?
captnenglish
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,184 posts
Armorama: 770 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 05:26 AM UTC
Lots of ideas for this bad boy
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Armorama: 712 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 07:10 AM UTC
Nice one Italeri, but I don't think it is really for Ship modellers as there are not many ships in 1/35 scale except for PT Boats etc... in my humble opinion anyway.. and PT Boats, Vospers, S-Boots and Italian jobs are just that, boats, not ships...
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Armorama: 8,109 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 07:42 AM UTC
Given DML's Pioneers in rubber boats or other kits with such craft, this one offers some interesting ideas. There was a lot of fighting near the Volga in Stalingrad, so placing this alongside a destroyed factory????

Very exciting, Jim, thanks for posting this.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi,

Quoted Text

Has Italeri released any pricing information yet?

At ITALERI site it's marked 35 € (Euro).

HTH
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 08:34 AM UTC
The price at Blast Models in France is 36 US dollars.

http://www.phpshopxml.com/blamod.shop/CID/dd96a2185d02f34d8227398e1508c481/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/ITL5612

A suggestion/request to people who take pics, of something like this, for reviews... it would be really helpful to have a figure or a built model next to the items for size comparison.

Hisham
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 11:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Italeri, but I don't think it is really for Ship modellers as there are not many ships in 1/35 scale except for PT Boats etc... in my humble opinion anyway.. and PT Boats, Vospers, S-Boots and Italian jobs are just that, boats, not ships...

Yes, perhaps though someone will launch (literally ) the Graf Spee in 1/35th though?

I qualified my comments later on with this - and yes, I DO know the difference between a boat and a ship...

Quoted Text

Now, inevitably, this release came from the success that Italeri are enjoying with their impressive range of 1/35th Scale Light craft such as PT and 'Schnell-boote'.

retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 518 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 - 02:46 PM UTC
Me likey..............
Modelltreff
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hmmm.. Seems that I#m the only one who found 35 Euros for some flat styrene pieces a bit pricey?!?!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 05:34 AM UTC
$45 - $50 may seem a little pricey, but so is a model vehicle. Considering you get nearly a two foot length by 8 inch deep platform to work with, that 'aint bad. A similar piece could be scratch-built for maybe half the cost in materials and accessories, but then, not everyone wants to scratch-build. Wonder if the two sections can be assembled back-to-back to form a jetty, or pier, surrounded on three sides by water.
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 11:34 AM UTC
Do you have the dimensions for the gauge of the rails built into the top deck (preferably in mm)?
velotrain
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 384 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 08:12 PM UTC
Scale Hobbyist, which I find usually has the lowest price for almost anything, lists these for $42. They also have the shorter section with steps descending to water level for $27. If you live in New England, you often get next day delivery for their regular shipping price. I have several sections of these, and as I recall the track is a correct 41 mm for 1:35 SG.

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/manufacturers/Italeri_Models/Buildings/browse.php?s=0&t=6&man=itl

Actually, the only thing new is their packing two of them in a single box.

There's no reason they couldn't be built back to back, but you'd have to create a convincing end facade. I agree that they're perhaps more appropriate for an industrial dio than a nautical scene. It could be really impressive with a gantry crane doing a road or rail to ship transfer (perhaps with the load in mid-air, and the ship not modeled), but it would be a scratch build. You could probably use structural castings from relatively inexpensive O-scale truss bridge kits, or even this Walthers HO scale bridge crane:

CMK has a kit for a steam harbor crane, but I've never cared for the look of it - I think mostly because they represent the crane boom as a solid structure, with pseudo-lattice work cast on the side. It would be expensive, but you could keep the cabin and build a new boom, although it would be relatively easy to scratch something similar.

I checked to see if anything might be available in the British 7mm model railroad scale (1:43.5), but no luck.
Here's a Marklin HO scale digitally controlled gantry crane:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mar/mar76515.htm
A skilled modeler might be able to build a larger superstructure around the mechanism, but it would be an expensive risk.

If you do want something in the water, a barge would be easier to fit and perhaps more typical. Something like an LCM hull could be a possible starting point. Some were converted to ferries after the war, and an aggregate barge with the ramp welded closed might be reasonable - perhaps a railway wagon dumping coal into it. Maybe something along these lines:

I found what looks like a good article on various types of cranes here:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/11-crane.htm

Charles
turkeyshot
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 138 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have several sections of these, and as I recall the track is a correct 41 mm for 1:35 SG.

Thanks for the info Charles.
 _GOTOTOP