Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

such a nice and clean one ! I love it
just you need add some wash

Oh don't you worry, it's going to be covered in fort Stewart mud. Kinda a mixture of light tan and gray sand. Most of the ground at fort Stewart is a gray sand. But for some reason some of the tank trails are covered in a very light tan sand. It's usually raining somewhere on base at all times of day so there is always mud.
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:11 PM UTC
Well I think I will call this one done. I am very happy with the way it came out. This was one of my favorite trucks while I was in the Army and is know one of my favorite finished kits. It's nice to build something I have a connection with. I hope those of you that followed my build enjoyed watching my progress. Now on to the pictures.

jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC

Well thanks again for taking a look and let me know what you think good and bad.
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 01:43 PM UTC
this is the last shot of the interior i took before i closed it up.
kubisz
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Slaskie, Poland
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 977 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 05:30 AM UTC
What have You done to this poor Humvee... I always say - if You can't make a good weathering, better make a model without it. Why do You think, that military vehicle have to be dirty?

Front grill is pushed inside, it doesn't look good
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 06:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What have You done to this poor Humvee... I always say - if You can't make a good weathering, better make a model without it. Why do You think, that military vehicle have to be dirty?

Front grill is pushed inside, it doesn't look good

Front grill pushed inside? Not sure what you mean by this. And this humvee I myself have driven it in the mud, I can remember times in a good south Georgia rain storm where mud would splash over the roof. I've seen humvees a lot dirtier than this. I left the oil and grease stains off because well 210 didn't have any leaks. It would get muddy and nasty out in the field and then we would wash it all away so she could sit in the motor pool all nice and clean. This build is part of diorama of when we where in the field at fort Stewart. Please don't tell me I should not have tried to weather it because I'm not good at it. Tell me some tips on how to make it better.
kubisz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 06:52 AM UTC
The grill:

Green line should be parallel to red ones. This separate (in model only) part of bonnet is glued incorrectly.

The mud: IMHO the dirt looks unnaturally. It has the same look and colour in every part of Your model. It should be differentiated: old, dry mud is lighter than newer, more wet. Also there is much mud on the wheels, but some areas of pattern thread is... clean. And the mud first of all get between pattern "bricks".
But when it comes to advice I'm not the best person to give them. I'm a novice in this field. But You don't have to know how to paint a picture to tell if this picture looks good or not
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 07:14 AM UTC
The grill and hood were molded in one part. The only way I could change it would be to cut it off and refit it some how.
kubisz
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
Try to fix it - now it spoils the look of the model.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The grill and hood were molded in one part. The only way I could change it would be to cut it off and refit it some how.

No, the grill and hood are separate parts. You can see it in your own pic below. The grill got pushed in when building it.

I would fix the grill too by removing it and realigning it.

I agree on the mud to, it is all too monochrome. It looks the same color as the body of the HMMWV too. I am at Ft Stewart now and the mud is more orange. The mud looks too sloppy to me too, too much of it.
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 10:54 AM UTC
okay i stand corrected, the hood was separate from the grill. I was not really looking forward to pulling the hood off. So I cut along the sides and used some styrene to hold it further out. I then managed to pull some of the mud off and added some Georgia red clay to the mix. I didn't want to get rid of all the mud because I want it muddy. I think the clay makes it look like a fresh coat of mud over some older dirt. Well let me have it.

Mark

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC
Very good. It looks much better. Good job on the corrections.
richtlv3
Visit this Community
Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
KitMaker: 95 posts
Armorama: 94 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC
Nice Weathering and good job
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
Thanks Richard and thanks Heavyarty for the constructive criticism. I may have gotten a little defencive when I was basically told my model sucked and I shouldn't have tried to weather it. I really didn't even notice the grill and I did get carried away with the mud. But I was having fun with it. Even wet it looked like real mud. But I did cover up a lot of the details I had put into it with the first try at weathering. I am much happier with it the second try. Some of the paint came off with the mud so I had to touch that up. I actually went out to the back yard and compared the color for the red clay. I know it may not be completely accurate but I'm happy with it and glad I could share it with y'all.

Mark
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 02:11 AM UTC
It looks like a lot of effort went into the interior. The reddish mud makes it look much more realistic and adds more depth.

Beautiful looking M998!
kubisz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 06:57 PM UTC
I'm sorry, You didn't cinvinced me at all I don't like neither look nor colour of the mud. It's situated inconsistently (i hope it's a good word, I apologize for my English). Even the roof is dirty, but still there are clean places on tires pattern thread and undercarriage. I hope that you won't understand this as an attack - I have been watching Your WIP from the beginning and I liked Your model very much, but unfortunatelly until You decided to mud it And I only want to help You make a better model
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 09:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sorry, You didn't cinvinced me at all I don't like neither look nor colour of the mud. It's situated inconsistently (i hope it's a good word, I apologize for my English). Even the roof is dirty, but still there are clean places on tires pattern thread and undercarriage. I hope that you won't understand this as an attack - I have been watching Your WIP from the beginning and I liked Your model very much, but unfortunatelly until You decided to mud it And I only want to help You make a better model

So you have been watching my build progress but you wait till I say I'm finished with it to say something about the grill being pushed in. Now that it was brought to my attention I was able to fix it. I look back at all the pIctures I have put up in this build log and I count at least 5 that I can now see the grill pushed in. Would have been nice since you have been following my build to say,heyy before you get any further did you notice the grill is pushed in. And as far as the mud, well I can't please everyone. If I planned on putting in in a diorama of the motorpool I would have left it clean. It's going to be in a diorama in the woods of ft. Stewart. And yes there will be mud. I'm sure I'll probably add more mud to the tires once I get it set in the diorama. I'll have to see how all that works out in the end. But thanks for your review of my build, it did help me to make it better at least to my eyes.
kubisz
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 09:36 PM UTC
I don't know how, but I saw this grill on last pictures Shame on me, sorry.
I don't want to make You to left model clean, I'm only saying that I don't like the dirt how it looks now. But of course - it's only my opinion.
Make sure, that colours and texture of mud will be the same on model as well on planned diorama.
 _GOTOTOP