_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A2 question relating to Dragon kits
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 571 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi All,

Not a Shermaholic yet, but I have seen both these kits cheap and I was curious if either the Russian or Captured German boxings of the M4A2 from Dragon would work for creating a US Army M4A2 or if there are other things that would be needed for that to work (outside of decals)? Wife has also hinted that she might get them for me.

Thanks.

Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 09:15 AM UTC
The M4A2 was only used by the US Marine corp in US service. Neither of these 2 kits have the correct turret for marine corp. use.

Both kits are only suited for Lend leas use.

Here is a link on the German Sherman.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/132025
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
John,

Thanks for the link and the info.

ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2012 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The M4A2 was only used by the US Marine corp in US service. Neither of these 2 kits have the correct turret for marine corp. use.

Not quite right. The US Army used early model M4A2 for stateside training and a hundred or so were supplied by the Brits during the great tank shortage in early 45 in NWE and used in Germany. Additionally Brit supplied M4A2 DD were also used in early 45 in NWE.

As for doing a US M4A2 from either of those kits the answer is no. The 76 version was not used by the US for either trg or ops. The Beute versionhas the very rare late High Bustle turret on a late hull Dry stowage M4A2 whereas the USMC M4A2 Lates had the High Bustle turret. Essentially those kits are both confined to USSR (76 & 75) or German Captured (75)

Cheers
Al
Al
IrishGreek
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 01:15 AM UTC
Al,

Thanks. Amazing how many variants of the Sherman there are, even within the M4, M4A2, etc...

John
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al,

Thanks. Amazing how many variants of the Sherman there are, even within the M4, M4A2, etc...

John

We had a seminar at the Atlanta AMPS Show last week regarding the Sherman. I believe Rob Ervin said there were about 72 distinct versions when all said and done. It's incredibly varied.
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 08:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Al,

John

We had a seminar at the Atlanta AMPS Show last week regarding the Sherman. I believe Rob Ervin said there were about 72 distinct versions when all said and done. It's incredibly varied.

hence the appeal (to me) of the Sherman as a modelling or research subject

Al
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 10:36 AM UTC
As a dedicated (or diagnosed?) Shermaholic I've often wondered if each and every one of the 50,000 built were slightly different on purpose...

Tom
Big-John
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 731 posts
Armorama: 711 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 12:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Not quite right. The US Army used early model M4A2 for stateside training and a hundred or so were supplied by the Brits during the great tank shortage in early 45 in NWE and used in Germany. Additionally Brit supplied M4A2 DD were also used in early 45 in NWE.

As for doing a US M4A2 from either of those kits the answer is no. The 76 version was not used by the US for either trg or ops. The Beute versionhas the very rare late High Bustle turret on a late hull Dry stowage M4A2 whereas the USMC M4A2 Lates had the High Bustle turret. Essentially those kits are both confined to USSR (76 & 75) or German Captured (75)

Cheers
Al
Al

I haven’t seen any documentation that the early M4A2’s were used as training, but its certainly possible as the M4A4s was also used for training, then rebuilt and sent to England. The early M4A3s were also used, but the majority of them stayed state side.

But the configuration of the two kits in question never saw service with the US military as far as I know.

pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,191 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 01:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers
Al
Al

I haven’t seen any documentation that the early M4A2’s were used as training, but its certainly possible as the M4A4s was also used for training, then rebuilt and sent to England. The early M4A3s were also used, but the majority of them stayed state side.

But the configuration of the two kits in question never saw service with the US military as far as I know.

Page 29 of the new Sherman In-Action by David Doyle and Rob Ervin has a photo of a M4A2 in training along with a M3 Lee. In Rob's presentation, he showed at least one other photo of M4A2's in training use stateside.
AgentG
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 1,095 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 - 04:18 PM UTC
One other factor to consider is DML's M4A2 "Tarawa" is an early model narrow hatch made by Fischer body. The welded driver and bow gunner hoods are a dead giveaway. The USMC received most of these Fischer built tanks. Some were sent to Commonwealth forces but not many.

G
 _GOTOTOP