Hosted by Darren Baker
Finemolds 1/35 Isuzu Type 94 6 Wheeled Truck
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC
I have just purchased the Finemolds kit of the Isuzu Type 94 6X4 truck with canvas roofed open cab and was wondering if anyone had any detail photos or diagrams of the cab interior and enginebay so I can detail it correctly.

Any help appreciated
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 06:42 PM UTC
I searched all over when I did the review and couldn't find anything. There was some conversation over at Missing Lynx in the Japanese subjects forum. Taki didn't have much he could offer on the subject either, but his web page might be the best place to look.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 09:06 PM UTC
Thanks Russ. If I find out anything I'll post it here for all of us who want to build this kit.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 09:20 PM UTC
Too bad there are not more pics of this one :

http://ammsbrisbane.com/reference/Isuzu.html

This generator truck variant would have been a good reference.... before a tree fall onto it

Frenchy
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 09:41 PM UTC
Important message to all kids, juniors and others:
Do not pick a fight with a tree. You will be in very serious trouble if it falls on you ;-)
Just look at that poor truck .....
/ Robin
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
KitMaker: 158 posts
Armorama: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 05:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have just purchased the Finemolds kit of the Isuzu Type 94 6X4 truck with canvas roofed open cab and was wondering if anyone had any detail photos or diagrams of the cab interior and enginebay so I can detail it correctly.

Any help appreciated

You really made my day, Cliff!
Talking about such hen's teeth your chances to find something are almost nil. I chase pictures of all Japanese WW2 trucks from decades and the result up to date is everything but inspiring!
However, have here the only more or less acceptable period picture of the thing I managed to trawl through the years on which the engine is barely visible. Its reference value is questionable but I hope it would be of use for inspiration at least

At last but not least, never trust restored vehicles. That Isuzu Type 94 in Komatsu museum isn't bad but some details (such like the wheels and headlights for example) are little suspicious.
HTH
Cheers!
Ilian
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 08:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You really made my day, Cliff!
Talking about such hen's teeth your chances to find something are almost nil. I chase pictures of all Japanese WW2 trucks from decades and the result up to date is everything but inspiring!
However, have here the only more or less acceptable period picture of the thing I managed to trawl through the years on which the engine is barely visible. Its reference value is questionable but I hope it would be of use for inspiration at least

At last but not least, never trust restored vehicles. That Isuzu Type 94 in Komatsu museum isn't bad but some details (such like the wheels and headlights for example) are little suspicious.
HTH
Cheers!
Ilian

Thanks Ilian that is better then any I have found so far. The Australian War Memorial Museum has a few photos of Japanese vehicles but mainly in groups of other stuff as well.

I am thinking from years of dealing with other vehicles that the interior would be pretty basic on these trucks so perhaps not as hard to do as first thought. I will see if I can find out more from other contacts I have to see if they can help.
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 06:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

never trust restored vehicles. That Isuzu Type 94 in Komatsu museum isn't bad but some details (such like the wheels and headlights for example) are little suspicious.
Ilian

I have noticed also, that this Australian Isuzu is two-axle version of truck - see last photo on that link.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 07:22 AM UTC
You're right Ed ! I had noticed the different headlights and wheels but I had missed that...Maybe it's not a Type 94

Talking about the wheels, this truck is apparently fitted with the same wheels (7 lugs + 4 holes) :

Frenchy
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You're right Ed ! I had noticed the different headlights and wheels but I had missed that...Maybe it's not a Type 94

Talking about the wheels, this truck is apparently fitted with the same wheels (7 lugs + 4 holes) :

Frenchy

The picture from the Lone Sentry intelligence report is good but it shows earlier Type 93 and there are too much differences.
Back in the Komatsu museum. You were warned but let me comment this truck again. Yup, the thing on the pictures is not 94 definitely. That exhibit looks to me a kind of strange crossing between Type 94 and Type 97 (or, more correct, the civilian variant TX40 of the latter, which also was in military use). Probably this particular restored one is based on some postwar mixed version for civilian market, I don't know.
Here is another picture of it, small but very illustrative:

What's wrong with it? Above all, those 2 axles suggest Type 97 but it still isn't. Talking about Isuzu trucks used in WW2 in general, the most suspicious things are (I mentioned some of them above but now I'll explain):
1. The headlights. Too small and without those typical blackout caps. Most probably postwar.
2. The wheels. Such type was never used on Types 94 and 98 (its artillery tractor derivative) and, in that matter, on military 97s too. Probably they came from some civilian TX40.
3. The front bumper. Pure DIY, I dare to say. Doesn't match any type of bumper used on any Isuzu model (where present).
4. The doors. Surprisingly they have stampings and on the open cab variants of all Isuzu wartime models the doors are just plain sheet of metal. Quite suspicious, I guess these are TX40 closed cab doors cut to fit the open cab.
5. That gorgeous rear view mirror. Do you really believe such things were used back then? Also, it is well known Japan was and still is LHD country, why the mirror is on the LEFT fender then? To watch the pedestrians or to look for unwanted passengers trying to jump into the body? I really can't get it.
Well, I can continue but enough boring you.
BTW, Cliff, I was surprised to see FineMolds offer both closed and open cab versions, which is yours? If latter, is it 94 again or it is Type 98 Artillery tractor (must have winch)?
At last, I was told some good plans of the 94 can be found in this book:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4769823622/
Cheers!
Ilian
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
Mine is the open cab one. I did almost get both but decided one was enough for now as I have purchased 12 other truck kits in the last month and the purse is empty for a little while now.

I'll check the kit parts carefully when I get it in about 2 weeks time.
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 05:11 PM UTC
Thanks for the answer, Craig. Well, that's really impressive purchase! Just don't tell me the whole dozen are Japanese truck kits!
BTW, sorry for the mistake above, I've just spotted it. The artillery tractor is Type 96, not 98. That's what happens when one writes in a hurry
Cheers!
Ilian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 06:41 PM UTC
No boredom here Ilian I think I should let experts do the talking from now on...

Frenchy
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 06:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, that's really impressive purchase! Just don't tell me the whole dozen are Japanese truck kits!
Cheers!
Ilian

Nope. figures are - 1 Japanese, 1 USA, 7 German including an interior set, 3 USSR plus a new Sparmax GP-35 airbrush. The AB is a pistol grip as I am having problems holding the normal pencil type now. Also looking at a Sparmax spray booth as my next purchase along with a Hold & fold for PE.

On the wish list are about another dozen softskin models that are either coming later in the year or are only just available.
ilfil62
Visit this Community
Sofiya, Bulgaria
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 07:24 PM UTC
Thanks again Craig, for your speed answer again!
You know we, softskinners, are really rare breed, so we must support each oither. If you need help with some of the rest of the dozen let me know, I'll try to do my best. Indeed, I'm in the Braille scale but it doesn't mather, talking about references.

Cheers!
Ilian
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
My kit arrived from HobbyLink Japan today which I concidered very good service. At a glance the kit is flash free but unfortunately it looks like it has no motor so that scratches my idea of a small dio using it with the bonnet (hood) open to display the motor and engine bay. Never mind I may do a build review of it for you all to enjoy.
 _GOTOTOP