Hosted by Darren Baker
Zvezda Soviet Naval Infantry
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 - 04:45 PM UTC
Greetings fellow Braille Scalers. There is a build review of the new Zvezda Soviet Naval Infantry kit in the figures forum and you can find it at the link HERE! The plastic is not styrene but seems to behave similar to it. More details in the build review.

Cheers,
    Jan C[] C[]
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 10:21 AM UTC
I know the scale of 35 was very nice. 72 scale is more beautiful than it. Well done Zvezda..!
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC
Very interesting review. You did quite a nice job on painting these little guys even to the point they are. The skin tones looks very interesting, what colours did you use for it? However, the one image of the advancing rifleman (5th picture from the last) seems to have a green spot on his one boot.

Regards,
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Thanks for commenting, Erhan and AJ. Yes, I was surprised by how nice the figures are and they didn't turn out too bad.

AJ, the flesh was done as a test based on something that I read. The figures were all base coated with Tamiya NATO black. For the flesh areas I used Model Master Acryl paints. First was Shin Tone Warm Tint #4603. This was done in light washes. After that I used a wash of Skin Tone Shadow Tint #4604. I stated, this was the first time trying to paint figures in a serious manner so I have a lot to learn yet.

THe green patch on the advancing rifleman is probably a glitch from when I sprayed them the base colour. Surprisingly I didn't notice it until after I looked at the pictures. Shouldn't be too hard to fix when I try to finish up the painting.

Cheers,
Jan
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Thanks for this new review.

Regards.

Pedro.
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC
Jan, thanks for the review. One thing to point out, the squad machine gunner is wearing the white Tee shirt with blue stripes.
Charlie
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 04:23 AM UTC
@Charlie, thanks for dropping in and leaving your thoughts. As far as your comment on painting goes, I had to laugh a bit as I wondered when someone would mention about the striped undershirts. My research into the uniforms made that (the striped shirts) quite clear but also showed there was a lot of variation in the uniforms as the war progressed. Originally the uniforms were all black with the notable white and blue striped shirt. As the war progressed, scarcity of "materials" led to some rather unusual colour combinations (dark blue pants or tunic, brown boots and belts are examples). Eventually the Naval Infantry after late 1943 were issued with the plain standard Soviet infantry uniforms.

As for the my painting of the machine gunner, call it artistic license! It was cold and he found a warmer black civilian sweater that he "requisitioned." Truth be told, my abilities at painting figures in this scale are extremely limited and there isn't a chance that I could have painted a striped shirt. I felt that at least some paint on the figures would enhance the review and show readers a bit more than just leaving bare plastic.

Cheers,
Jan
nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 04:02 PM UTC
Jan, thanks for the info. I've learned something tonite. I wasn't aware of the scarcity of uniforms for the Soviet Naval Infantry and the mixing/matching of uniforms. I dunno the figures look promising.
Charlie
Removed by original poster on 03/17/12 - 05:01:34 (GMT).
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 05:06 PM UTC
Charlie,

I'm glad that I could provide some insight. A fellow in my local IPMS chapter is a very avid Soviet military afficianado. He is ethnically Russian and had numerous relatives that were involved in the war. He also has an extensive library dealling with almost everything Soviet and/or Russian. His resources were a great help to me. ;-)

Thanks again for your interest!

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP