_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Tank destroyers?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC
Wasn't there a camapign for tank destoyers or was that a group build? I've been working on my M-18 Hellcat for it a while and was curious if that was still going on. Wanted to see when the end date was so I got it finished in time.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
The idea was put forth for a Group Build - but interest seemed to get lost in the wave of ideas that began flooding the site. I think the interest is still there to kick-off a group build, but none have chimed in thus far.

Personally - all the flak over what was originally a fun idea with group builds and campaigns have turned me off. Perhaps some are taking a healthy pause to let things settle back down too.

Blaster76 - I think a Tank Destroyer group build would be a fun activity for both fans of Allied and Axis subjects, just need a leader to set out there and get it going...

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 05:02 AM UTC
Thanks for the input Gunnie. I also think it could/would have included the Aviators too with all the tank busting aircraft from WW2 up to the helicopters and A-10's of today. Makes me no nevermind, I have been working on4 kits at the same time one of them is the Hellcat which will be done in a week or two as I try to finish up my M123c tractor and M15a1 trailer kits
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi there

I always thought this was a excellent subject for a build because, as Blaster76 says, it would allow both armour and aviation entries. :-)

I don't mind whether it's a Campaign or Group Build... it would just be great to have an excuse to build a Sturmovik!

All the best

Rowan
Savage
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:28 AM UTC
Well there I was thinking the Group build was still going and ‘Old Faithful’ is almost complete. Well anyone going to take the lead and command this Group Build.

May I suggest Gunnie (If he is interested and has time) to command the faithful legions!

And the First rule:

The Group build leader is in charge and makes the rules! No arguments!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
Savage - thanks for the encouragement.

I'd step up there for all you guys - but - I think there is one member out there who'd do better than I would in leading a Tank Destroyer activity. That's Kencelot - he loves 'em and would be great in the lead.

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
WOW! Can we really get this baby going?!! You're singing my song Gunnie! La, lalala ...

I'm ready if we have enough members interested in this group build.
I would be more than happy to lead this one. I've been waiting for the other builds and campaigns to slow a bit, but that does not seem to happen around here. Too many just love to keep building!

I'm willing to keep this open at the moment to ideas and more input to see what you all are interested in. A group build or a campaign? Start and finish dates. Vehicles to include. Etc...

If anyone one is interested, please reply here. I do not want to start another thread as that may end up causing confusion.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC
Great Ken! We're all behind you!

My two cents here - Group Build; start date (pretty soon from today); end date (liberal - perhaps 31 Jan 04); subjects (all tank destroying machines - give some aircraft and helo-builders to enter their Apaches in addition to the WWII and post-WWII armor subjects. The German Solder with Panzerfaust was a tank destroyer too - the figure guys could get into the action too)

Sitting back chugging a Miller Genuine Draft thinking about the possibilities...

Gunnie
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:16 PM UTC
I like the idea of including aircraft and figures. I'm not sure I can get involved, but I'll certainly look at all the pictures. :-)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
Geez, I thought it was still going, (and I am guilty of originate this idea with Carlster)... That's why me and carl is doing the "Are ya kidding me?" Jagdtiger. Mine is a Porsche Ferdinand, Ferdinand Suspension one....

#:-)

By the way, with Ken in charge is a good idea, maybe you and Carl can both lead us hordes. I just hate to be a campaign/groupie leader. I am not that good at it, and I will be afraid that I cannot finish my model in time, that'd be bad publicity for said campaign/groupie...
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:20 PM UTC
Heck yeah Gunnie. I too am thinking anything and everything that was purpose-built for destroying tanks. From the earliest weapons to present day laser guided ones. Cooool.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
Actually the rules had already be drawn up a while ago...except, please replace my name with Ken's. #:-)

LEADERS: SS-74 & TankCarl

TIME: 1 July till the end of the year.If you want something and can't get it soon,no worries.

THEME: Tank Destroyers. Purpose built , kill one type of target , vehicles.

ERA: If it was called a tank Destroyer then it is suitable. (Creativity points for pre WWII vehicles)

SECTIONS: Wheeled,Towed Gun,1/2 track,Full track. (Soviet anti tank dogs are a nyet-nyet)

SUBLOTS: As SS said:
"Da Real McCoy"
88mm carried TD (elefant, hornisse, etc), 17 pounders (archers, etc), 90mm, or such big gun TD, SU-122, SU-85, etc

"Da Wannabes"
Hetzers, Marders, etc, etc

"Da Door Knockers"
them halftrack mounted with a 37 mm, etc, etc,

"Da 'Are you Kidding me?' "
either the real crazy 128mm jagdtiger, or the real small TK with 20mm guns...

PARTICIPANTS: It's a Group Build - anyone and everyone is invited - including Aircraft modelers! Whip out those A-10 Warthogs!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hmmm..., I thought this one was put on hold. Really.
I have several TDs that I want to build for this and was just itching to get it started.
Now what? Do we just continue with what is currently being done? Should we extend the finish date to accommodate the "late" starters?
How many are currently participating in this now?
Input? Thoughts?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 - 08:12 PM UTC
Nice one Ken! Well done for stepping up to the crease... :-)

Fantastic to see this build active again, especially if includes aircraft and figures...:-)

I also thought it was dead or dormant, so could we extend the deadline (maybe to the end of February?).

I'm already building aircraft for two campaigns and I think I'll struggle to get something finished by the end of the year.

All the best

Rowan
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:55 AM UTC
i to was under the impression this was on hold.
ive got a half built achilles gathering dust that i started a few weeks ago.
i was thinking of using it for this.
count me in anyway.
cheers
joe
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
Howdy Guys,

Just read thru the thread, sounds like you guys are resurrecting a 'goodie' here. I have been looking for a Campaign I could segue into comfortably. I had had my mind set on the Helo Campaign but.........we don't want to go there. The fact (if I'm reading the impetus correctly) that this build would be so 'inclusive', i.e. tanks, artillery, aircraft, helicopters, figs, etc. Makes it very appealing to a much larger segment of the membership.
So, I'll be watching this thread to see what final decision is made regarding the 'rules of engagement'. And if it does indeed include the more open parameters mentioned above, you can count me in as well!! I have a 1/35th scale AH-64D Longbow that is 1/3rd of the way completed that I've already done quite a bit of research on and would like to complete it and free it from the plastic storage box it now lives in!

Tread out.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 03:17 AM UTC
I agree with the others too Ken - to give the later starters a chance to participate I'd recommend pushing back the end date and opening it up to aircraft, choppers, and figures - whatever the modeler wants to display representing the "tank destroyer" mission. Group Builds are forever flexible - they don't have to be rigid...

Gunnie
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 12:43 PM UTC
I'd hate to step on anyone's toes by taking hold of the reigns. SS-74 & TankCarl are already leading this GB and I think they should continue as is with all the rules in place.
The only thing that I think that should be changed is the finish date. I'm gunning for a finish date of February 28th. Considering this started three months ago, we'll give everyone an extra two months to complete. Still, it's not etched in stone.

So, how do we get this into the "Official" status so that anyone looking for or is interested in this GB (Group build) can just sign up.
BTW, where do we sign up? We don't have a section for Group Builds.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:21 PM UTC
I will keep an eye on this all.I like the february end date,I bet A/C take longer to do tahn a rolling pillbox.
Since it is a group build,not a campaign,we all ought to post pictures in our galleries,and direct people there as progress is made/machine is finished.
Contact to each other about the group build could be in Armor Talk,in a TD Gruopie thread.

Aside:
If I could find proof of a direct fire sight for the Leopolds.....

My JT is under construction,I have so many pictures to take of other projects,I will try to blend in a few of it too.
So someone enter a TD Groupie thread,and we can enlist people and projects there.Also an occaisonal update of who's in,working,and finished would help...

I think. (++) 49 (++)
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd hate to step on anyone's toes by taking hold of the reigns. SS-74 & TankCarl are already leading this GB and I think they should continue as is with all the rules in place.
The only thing that I think that should be changed is the finish date. I'm gunning for a finish date of February 28th. Considering this started three months ago, we'll give everyone an extra two months to complete. Still, it's not etched in stone.

So, how do we get this into the "Official" status so that anyone looking for or is interested in this GB (Group build) can just sign up.
BTW, where do we sign up? We don't have a section for Group Builds.

LOL, Ken' no one's toe is being stepped, your suggestion is awesome for the postponing. And I honestly wish that you are leading this one with Carlster. I am just no leader material comes to groupies.
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi guys,
I would be interested in this wee group build idea. I like Ken idea of having it finish feb 04.
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 02:39 PM UTC
Well,as far as progress goes I have been building the StuG III ausf F8 I have the panzer gray paint on it as well as th eFriulmodel tracks put on it #:-) (++)
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:28 AM UTC
I thought it was on hold too, but if this groupie is going ahead and the finish being in Feb 04 I have an Apache waiting to be loaded with TOE Missles and go hunting.
Say the word and the loading will begin..

Paul
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 11:09 AM UTC
I agree with the others : postponing the end to february would help a lot !
Then I'd have a chance to add a sdkfz251/22...
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 12:31 AM UTC
I guess that I would consider it. Make sure to ask or let us know sometime around that Feb. Time frame.

I would actually like to get in on that, I think it would be pretty fun!

~Chip :-)
 _GOTOTOP