_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New WWI Oriented Modelling Site
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
KitMaker: 795 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 08:37 AM UTC
For those who don't know me I've run MilitaryModelsfor the past two years. This focuses on WWII armour in 1/35 but due to a change in modelling interest I've started a WWI Modelling site with the hope that I can give WWI modelling a higher profile and nudge some of the bigname manufacturers into taking a punt and putting out some decent 1/35 WWI armour and artillery kits.

If the link above doesn't work the site is www.WWIModeller.co.nz

Cheers.
Railspltr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 10:14 AM UTC
I've got to check this out. Good luck on giving a high profile to the early 20th century, but wouldn't WWI subjects, especially some dioramas be more "low profile?"
hobgrot
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
good luck with the "big manufacturers" - so far none have shown any interest at all

Good on Roden for what they've done so far.

I would suggest that WingNut Wings, being a very-high-quality, innovative N.Z. manufacturer with an interest in WW1, be the best company to approach. The 100th Anniversary of the start of WW1 is coming up quick & would (at present) be adequate time to do research & moulds for a 2013 or 2014 release.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 02:01 PM UTC
Yeah I'm talking with WNW about doing an interview with them covering things like where they'd like to go etc.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 - 10:20 PM UTC
Does anyone know how to contact Emhar ?
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 03:29 AM UTC
Dean, I just shared the link to your website in the WWI campaign I'm running. Hope you don't mind
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 07:48 AM UTC
Hi Jeremy, thanks for that. I've been surprise just how much interest there has been in just one day. There definitely seems to be plenty of people out there who would build WWI armour if it was around to build.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 08:46 AM UTC
There are a lot of people who are interested in modeling WWI armor, but companies have been very slow to pick up on that, presumably for a number of reasons. If you follow new releases, you will notice that the new WWI armor and AFV kits that are in the works or being released are spread across a variety of scales and mediums. Right now it seems like companies are slowly testing the water to see what market it most profitable to pursue. My hope is that we will see steady releases in 1/72, 1/48, and 1/35 over the next few years, but that may just be wishful thinking. Personally I would love to see several quality 1/35 kits and figures on the market, and I have really been enjoying RPM's 1/48 softskins.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2012 - 08:58 AM UTC
Well I've been encouraged by the increase in Interwar/very early WWII stuff coming out like the just announced Pz.Kpfw.I Ausf.A from Dragon and even stuff like the Neubau-Fahrzeug ( I'd love a newly tooled T34 ). Trumpeter have a T24 planned which while not a FT17 is a move in the right direction. I'm hoping that if things like that have worked for them that they may try some of the British and German Landships. Like you I'm just hopeful that in a year or two we'll have a lot more than we have now.
I figure it just takes one mainstream manufacturer to put out something like the Mk.IV and have it sell well and then they'll figure it's a market worth pursuing.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 01:59 PM UTC
I've slowly filled out the site with a few Walkarounds and whatnot, now I'm trying to find a few volunteers who would like their work featured in the Gallery until I can get a few bits built myself. So if anyone has anything WWI ( or 1920s ) related that they'd like to add to our gallery just drop me line, either here or [email protected]
Cheers.
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,716 posts
Armorama: 1,638 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey ya Dean mate ,, try contacting Bigsky on trademe ,, i got a heap of Emhar models of him and Ewan told me he's the importer here for Emhar ..he might be able to help you out .

Phill
Railspltr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 96 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:27 AM UTC
WWI modelling would offer an impressive range of possibilities beyond armor. The variety of soft-skins from trucks, cars, armored cars and specialty vehicles is amazing. A few years ago there were a series of soft cover books - Deutsche Fahrzeugraritaten (German Military Vehicle Rarities) published by Tankograd that even included a WWI mobile delousing vehicle.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hey ya Dean mate ,, try contacting Bigsky on trademe ,, i got a heap of Emhar models of him and Ewan told me he's the importer here for Emhar ..he might be able to help you out .

Phill

Hi Phil, thanks for that, I'll see if he's able to put me in touch. Buying them isn't a problem but I'd like to be able to do an interview with them but buggered if I can find contact details for them anywhere.
gremlinz
Visit this Community
Hamilton, New Zealand
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

WWI modelling would offer an impressive range of possibilities beyond armor. The variety of soft-skins from trucks, cars, armored cars and specialty vehicles is amazing. A few years ago there were a series of soft cover books - Deutsche Fahrzeugraritaten (German Military Vehicle Rarities) published by Tankograd that even included a WWI mobile delousing vehicle.

Yeah I'm covering all aspects of it and including developments right after the war. I've got a flexible sort of changeover point between WWIModeller and WWIIModeller of 1930. I like the artillery as much as the armour and I'd love to see someone like MiniArt or ICM do a horsedrawn artillery piece.

I suppose a zepplin in 1/35 is a bit of an ask, but maybe 1/48
 _GOTOTOP