Type 97 Chi Ha (Early)
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 09:18 AM UTC
Hey all!

I haven't forgotten about this build but put the Early Chi Ha aside while I finished up some builds for other campaigns and also a few build reviews.

As was mentioned a while back, I found several sources that mentioned that Japanese tanks were camouflaged at the factory by hand. As such I had to redo the soft edge camo to look the part. I have also done some detail painting and added the yellow camo stripes. Here's the progress to this point.

Next up will be a bit of touch-up here and there and then the coat of Future and decals. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 07:33 AM UTC
Okay, I touched up here and there and then coated the tank in Future, applied the decals, top coat of Future and the first coat of flat varnish. It's still a bit glossy here and there but I'll give it another coat after the preliminary weathering. The lower hull and suspension have been toned down and some weathering started there.

The markings are for a tank in Malaya in 1941 and the base is an Astra small rural road base. I'm not sure if that will be the final base for it.

This last picture is just to show some of the super detail that they managed to put on this small tyke.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 05:22 PM UTC
I am really starting to like these Japanese tanks. They're different and in that respect unusual. This one looks like it will turn out as good as the last one. Most I see have a brighter yellow stripe than yours show and I wonder is it the camera or on purpose? Decals and toning down on the black rubber look good.

Regards;
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - 04:36 AM UTC
@AJB - AJ, the duller yellow stripe is my use of autistic or modellers license. As far as I am concerned, if the tank's other colouring is going to look weathered and worn then the yellow should also! After all this isn't a vehicle on parade. I've seen many use this type of camo and it just doesn't look right with all the other colours faded or dulled yet the yellow is in showroom condition! Thanks for commenting.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 06:04 AM UTC
Greetings all!

I set my IJA Type 97 aside for a bit but returned to it the other day. Another coat of flat varnish, the affixing of the last parts (turret hatches) and some more minor touch ups here and there. Initial weathering has started with Flat Earth and some Buff to dull down the main colours a bit. Today I'll be starting on the serious stuff (shadows and hi-lights) and then the final weathering touches.

I delayed on gluing the final hatches as I had hoped to add a suitable figure to an open hatch. However, as this is for the Dragon OOB campaign, that just wouldn't do! There will eventually be a base but I'm still unsure as to what kind might work best.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - 07:13 AM UTC
I can't believe how long since I've last touched this one. While "technically" (built and preliminary painting) finished, my Chi Ha Early was not near what I considered ready for Prime Time. I've been working on a number of other projects so it sat forlorn waiting for final detail and weathering. Ambition struck today and I attacked the lower hull, lower hull sides and especially the tracks. Still lots more to do but I am pleased with the tracks so far. I allocated a couple of hours to the tracks and I'm quite happy with they way they turned out so far.

Paints used are Tamiya and Delta Ceramcoat acrylics. Next on the agenda is further work on the road wheels, sprockets and idlers to be followed by the upper hull.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 12:46 AM UTC
Nice work Jan.

Interesting note about the hard edged camo. I have a couple of these to do one day.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:56 AM UTC
I can't wait to see what you have in mind for more detail lol!
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 08:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work Jan.

Interesting note about the hard edged camo. I have a couple of these to do one day.

Thanks Michael and I have verified the hard edge camo in more than one source. So which kits do you have? Both the early and the late Chi Ha versions are pretty much the same and a pleasure to build. If you have the Airfix version I am happy to say that while not a Dragon, it's a pretty nice kit for its age. I have built one and have another in my stash that I'd like to tackle some day.

Quoted Text

I can't wait to see what you have in mind for more detail lol!

Jeremy, rest assured that with this kit I won't be adding any more pieces or parts but that's something I might consider with a future Type 97 kit. What I want to try to do is take the finishing painting to the next level when compared to the Late version that I made earlier. Hmmm, shouldn't Dragon have released the Early version before the Late! I believe that I've taken the tracks on this one to a higher level than previous tracked builds so at least that's an advance. One thing about this hobby, there is always something new to learn.

I spent part of today working on detailing the suspension wheel detail painting (shadows and highlights). Like the tracks, it's pretty much trial and error at first.

Cheers,
Jan
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 07:03 AM UTC
Slowly but surely I think that I'm getting there. It's taken a few sittings but I'd guess that the beast is about 90+% complete. The turret needs a bit more work and not sure how to handle the mufflers and the muffler guards need some more work.

Might need to touch up the tracks a bit too as they got dulled out a bit in places by the other weathering.

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 - 02:47 PM UTC
If that's 90% or more finished, then I'm wondering what you will consider done? I appreciate all blogs for their inspiration but there is something about how this is turning out that makes it different from others. Can't see what more you can do to the turret or tracks as they look great already. Appreciate you taking the effort to post this stuff.

Regards.
AJ
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, August 25, 2012 - 06:19 AM UTC
@AJB - Thanks, I'm glad you find this one interesting. I've been trying some new techniques experimentally and it's giving this one a slightly different look. Also, these latest pictures are using some new camera settings and the use of reflectors as opposed to too many lights (read this on a modelling photography site).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Getting closer still and maybe 98% done on the tank (images as of yesterday). As always the pictures show a few spots that need some attention such as the Japanese character on the right side of the turret. It's a bit too clean or bright. I've been working on the base and of this writing I'm just waiting for the glue to dry. Should be ready for final pictures in the next few days.

This seems almost like a marathon but it's been quite the learning experience.

Cheers,
Jan
PedroA
Visit this Community
Valencia, Spain / España
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 322 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 03:54 AM UTC
Very nice model Jan.

Convincing colour base and weathering. I have some Fujimi's Chi Ha and your model will be a good reference when I have the time to make to they.

Regards. Pedro.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice model Jan.

Convincing colour base and weathering. I have some Fujimi's Chi Ha and your model will be a good reference when I have the time to make to they.

Regards. Pedro.

Thank you very much Pedro, I am glad that you appreciate this unusual little beast. The original Fujimi Type 97 is an early production version like this one (kit# 76022). They also produced the "Shinhoto" version with the bigger turret and 47 mm gun. They also had the Ho Ni Type 1 self propelled gun that is based on the Chi Ha chassis (kit# 76010). I've built this last one a long time ago.

For the weathering I created my own acrylic washes used with craft paints and also had paint mixed with what they call "extender" and "glaze." The purpose of those two additives is to give the acrylic the attributes of artist's oils. I've used them before but never with this much success!

I kept the base fairly simple so as not to detract from the model too much. I might work on it a bit more, might not.

Here's a few pictures to share with those following this thread. As the model is barely 3 inches (7.62 cm) long I took the pictures with a 5X macro. Despite diffused lighting the images really don't show it as well as the naked eye.

Here's a blow-up of the rear engine area that really shows the difference between the Early and Late production variants.

Here's a similar area on the Late.

For anyone interested, the Blog for the Late version can be found HERE

Cheers,
Jan
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2012 - 03:13 PM UTC
This built was subtle, extended but worth it. Some of the hiligjts while beautiful look a touch uniform. I take it that it's not like that in person? Compared to the first tank of this type I'd say this one has an edge. The simpler base is effective and doesn't distract from the model. Great inspiration for those of us that don't do enough in this forum and thanks for sharing it here.

Regards,
AJB
newfish
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,329 posts
Armorama: 2,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 04:05 AM UTC

Hey Jan nice work on the Camo I've got the Airfix Type 97 to do sometime in the future...I like the idea of making your own washes with acrylics. I find they dry too fast so I stick to oils as you can work with them better and longer...I clocked your late build as well very cool

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 - 07:45 AM UTC
@AJB - Thanks for the positive comments and trust me, the beast looks better in person. I tried varying my camera settings and even took pictures of it outside in the sunlight. Sadly there just seems to be something with the camera where is just doesn't pick up the subtle but distinct variation in the hi-lights.

@newfish - Jaymes, thanks for dropping in and the kudos. I truly think that this early version is better than the late variant I did. My SWMBO is an accomplished acrylic painter and she deserves credit for enlightening me about the additives. While I used Delta Ceramcoat products for the weathering of this build, several other brands of artists' craft acrylics also have similar additives (extenders and glazes). There are also other 'additives' that make the paint 'wetter' and enhance its flow characteristics or can make it thicker but greatly delay its drying time.

As for the Airfix variant, I believe that I mention hear that it actually a pretty nice kit for it's age. FWIW, it is an 'Early' variant like this one.

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:34 PM UTC
Jan

They are the Dragon kits.

Mike (when can I find time to build anything?)
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 05:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan

Ummm, thoroughly confused

Quoted Text

Ah, come now Mike! Not even the time to build an Airfix (or JB Models) kit! Why not do the Airfix Chi Ha since it seems to pop up in this thread often enough?

Cheers,
Jan
sabredog
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

Jan

Quoted Text

Ummm, thoroughly confused

Oops, you asked me if they were Airfix or Dragon kits when I mentioned buying.

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ah, come now Mike! Not even the time to build an Airfix (or JB Models) kit! Why not do the Airfix Chi Ha since it seems to pop up in this thread often enough?

Cheers,
Jan

Yeah, I know, no excuses. But my newest granddaughter gets my full attention currently
PanzerAlexander
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 625 posts
Armorama: 608 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 07:54 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

I was reluctant for your choise to use acrylic washes but I see now that the result is great.

Thank you for sharing this build.

P.A.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 03:53 AM UTC
@Michael - Michael,

Quoted Text

Oops, you asked me if they were Airfix or Dragon kits when I mentioned buying.

Ahh, you see what happens when you don't read back in your own thread! Sorry about that,

Quoted Text

Yeah, I know, no excuses. But my newest granddaughter gets my full attention currently

Congratulations!!! Perhaps in time we'll have a future modeller in the making!

@PanzerAlexander - Alexander,

Quoted Text

I was reluctant for your choise to use acrylic washes but I see now that the result is great.

Thank you for sharing this build.

And thank you for your kind acknowledgement of this work. As I mention earlier, this has been a true learning experience. My wife got me a book titled "Painting Weathered Buildings" by a C. Nice and many sections of it can apply to our hobby. Sections on weather effects on various materials and surfaces was particularly valid. I can see it being a great help should I build up the nerve to try a diorama some day.

Cheers,
Jan
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 07:40 AM UTC
cool build,a littel small for me,very nice work.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

cool build,a littel small for me,very nice work.

Thanks Roy, glad you can appreciate the subject. Actually, it's only a touch smaller than a Sherman but definitely not the smallest. You should see the review on the Dragon Ka Mi if you really want to see something small.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP