_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Skif Kit Opinions Needed
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Theres a load of Skif and Dragon 1/35 Soviet kits on Ebay. Me being 14, I have never experianced Dragon's old Soviet models. Also, I have only built 2 Skif kits(MT-LB6MA and Gvozdika). For my age I think I am quite good and have built many Soviet kits (ohh modest) so scratch building and etch is no problem, I'm just wondering if the following kits are worth getting.

-Skif T-80UD
-Skif BMP-3 Profi Pack
-BTR-152 Ambulance
-Skif T-64A
-Skif T-64B with Skif T-64 indi tracks
-Skif T-64BV with Skif T-64 indi tracks
-Dragon BTR-70 M1986
-Dragon BMP-2E
-Dragon BTR-70 (kit 3510)

Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Euan
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 07:55 AM UTC
If you've built Skif kits, you know what you are getting into.

The BMP3 is rough, really rough. Never finished mine, T64 either. Just dogs of kits, but the only game out there until Trumpeter catches up.

Wait a bit and build a Trumpeter BMP3 and T64.
They are due out with BTR 70 as well

the others.. well old Dragon is better than new Skif in my book. Not all that accurate, but better engineered kits for my buying $$

If they are cheap and you are building just for fun, go for it.
Otherwise wait for Trumpy to catch up.
arpikaszabo
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 674 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 08:22 AM UTC
Skif t-64 is bad, bad, bad. It looks almost nothing like the real thing. Wait for a Trumpeter kit.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 09:17 AM UTC
The BTR-70s by Dragon are horrible. I picked up a Zvezda rebox and gave up on it. You would need to super-detail the steering linkage, the exhaust, the engine hatches and oh so much more. I assume the Dragon BMP-2 has the same issues. Wait for Trumpeter to release one. Basically, you get what you pay for and nothing else.
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks guys,I have built 2 Trumpeter BMP-3's and was just wondering if a Skif kit would fit in.
Again Thanks.
Euan
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:15 AM UTC
Skif T-80UD really represents a early prototype...not a in service vehicle. If you want a T-80U or UD, check out saammodels.tripod.com (I run it)

Skif BMP3...Trumpeter is much better. Forget it.

BTR-152. Thick but ok kit. PE makes it better. Could use better wheels.

Skif T-64 series. They are OK, I stress ok, but Trumpeters will be better. Need a lot of love to make it look good, they are pretty basic, and teh SP Designs stuff on saammodels will make them a LOT better...and new tracks and some PE as well.

Dragon's BTR-70 series in long in the tooth, but ok for a basic build right now. Trumpeter will be better, but when will they be out...?

Dragon's BMP-2 is also old, but Trumpeter will probably release one well after the BTR's and teh Chinese BMP-1, so if you want one in the next 4 years or so, DML will probably be your only choice...unless Miniarm decides to finally release the all resin one they have promised for years.

Answer is, they all have warts. How much you want to work on them determines how quickly you get them.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
To be honest...

That's an high pile of junk

Buying a Skif T-64 would have been interesting If Trumpeter hadn't already announced its new release. For a long time skif kit was the only (awful) T-64 available, nowadays in my opinion it isn't interesting at all. The same thing for the BMP-3 kit (latest trumpeter kits are far better)

Dragon BMP-2E is quite wrong in shape and details, but a good kit of the subject it isn't available yet.However starting from the Dragon (Zvezda) kit you'll have to make lots of jobs to obtain a decent model

Onnly thing which I'd say is that if it is REALLY cheap you could get a T 64 kit and you could use it as a base to build a vehicle based on T-64 hull.

Anyway,in my humble opinion, buiyng these kits wouldn't be a bargain

cheers
Cheers
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 791 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 10:40 AM UTC
I've built the BTR-152, you'll need PE and patience, but the results are worth it

I'm working on the T-64A right now, it's alright, the tracks are very difficult to build, the turret had to be reshaped and it needs PE, but despite the naysayers, comparing it to test shots of the Trumpeter kit have been favorable. I thought the kit was undersized but it's almost bang on dimensionally, except for the A turret.

I have a BMP-3. It is a rough kit, but they all are

The T-80s are better than the Dragon kits, but they need the usual additions

These are kits for the experienced builder willing to make the time and effort and to cough up the extra funds to build them
Firefly26
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 11:20 AM UTC
Skif's BMP-3 was okay. It was the only BMP 3 at the time. I don't know why they attempted the interior though. The outside is not bad, and there has been much worse. I think Trumpeter's is much better with lots of aftermarket parts available.

I do have an undeniable fondness for their T-64B. The turret details are terrible, as are the headlights and tracks, but when it all goes together, it really makes you appreciate the T-64, especially next to the T-72, as you see how compact that tank was. And yes it is very toy-like. While the maingun should have the fabric shroud around the joint, I just really appreciate being able to change the elevation for poses. I bought the miniarm T-64 turret and completed it, only to decide to keep the Skif turret.

Now there are a million details that are off on it, but there really could be much worse kit (cough Lindberg T-80). Unless you are really obsessed with perfection, if you just want to build a gem like the T-64, this kit will definitely give you the satisfaction. Then as you get better, you recognize all that is wrong and think of how to perfect it with the next one you build!

I have a T-64A and T-80UD on the way. The T-64 will remain an A but I want to try to change the T-80UD to the T-80B. I will let you know my thoughts on those two.
krasnov
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 99 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 05:29 PM UTC
If you want to buld correct models you must do the next

T-80UD you have to buy the resin set from Sp design, the wheels and tracks so its a lot of work

T-64A and B you have to change the turret , Miniarm have both versions and tracks, upper hull by SP designs... or wait for the trumpeter for T-64A , as I know the T-64B will be based on prototype of 1975 instead of the series production of 1976

T-64BV all the things for T-64B and the ERA armor on Photoetched from ET Model or Voyager

BTR-152 add PE set and resin whhels from real model, also very good the BTR-152 with quadruple AA guns from UM

btr-70 wait for trumpeter kit
BMP-2E PE and if you find it a correct upper hull from SP

With some work other skif wirth versions are their last T-54A it has the spider wheels , new turret and stowage bins plus other items the kit is really better now

regards
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 07:06 PM UTC
I'm sorry guys, that's not an argument, but it seems to me quite a nonsense buiyng some ugly cheap kits and then vasting lots of money in PE and resin extra parts to correct them, especially if you can get a far better kit spending less money. That would be a sensible thing if you didn't have any alternative to depict the subject

T64, you can wait the Trumpeter release

BMP-3 , you can get the Trumpeter kit

BTR 70, I think it will be iussued the next year, In my opinion it would be better waiting for it

T-80 Ud , well you can get it because that's better that the Zvezda kit, but you know you have to work a lot to obtain a good model

BMP-2, the same as the T-80 Ud. It's wrong but is the only game out there

BTR 152. That's probably the only kit of your list which is worth the payn

Anway If I were you I'd buy the Skif MT-LB

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=1410

It looks quite correct and most of all as far as I know, is the only available kit of that interesting subject

Quoted Text

With some work other Skif wirth versions are their last T-54A it has the spider wheels , new turret and stowage bins plus other items the kit is really better now

Well I'd say that I don't agree Raul. In my opinion Skif kit is probably the worst T54/55 which I've ever seen. Would be better buyng the Tamiya kit and then make some scratch jobs to obtain a good T-54

Just my two cents anyway

Cheers

Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 08:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm just wondering if the following kits are worth getting.

As long as you get a truckload of Prozac to go with it, yes
Firefly26
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 08:12 AM UTC
The BMP-2E is awful. I have bought it twice and never finished it. But, I still haven't learned my lesson and just got another one thinking third time is a charm.

And, and... I saw that miniarm is building a complete kit. Now I am contemplating even opening that box for the third time for a BMP-2 turret on a BMP-1 chassis....
http://www.miniarm.com/index.php?menu=coming

Wait for the miniarm at least. Once it does come out, the Zvezda/DML will be history.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 12:54 PM UTC
Euan,

Despite what some may say, I'd say "Go for it"; sure, Skif kits have certain accuracy problems - but what kits haven't? It sounds like you've stumbled across a load of (possibly) reasonably priced models of Soviet/Warsaw Pact kits, which whilst some may need a fair bit of work, may still make for an enjoyable build. It wasn't too long ago that the only kits of this genre were the venerable Esci T55 and the even older Tamiya T62, and they were far from perfect but were all that Cold War fans could aspire to.

I have only made up the T64s and I would recommend them; the tracks are a pain (and the vinyl ones with the kits inaccurate) but the separate links, with a little effort can be made to work. The turret needs some work but I would suggest you ignore the overall shape, refine the mantlet cover, add Schnorkel details and a couple of folded tarpaulins and have done with it. I realise that these comments may be anathema to some, but the revolutionary shape and function of the T64 are all there. This was an historically important tank, and Skif haven't, in my opinion, done too bad a job. Until the Trumpeter versions come along, it is still the only (reasonably priced) game in town. If, at a later date, you wish to purchase the Trumpeter models then you can.

Go for these kits, enjoy the hobby; don't get too wrapped around the axle - it's all modelling experience - and you'll be the better for it (sorry if that sounds patronising!)

I can't comment on the Dragon models, as although I have some, I haven't built them. A cursory glance would again, as with Skif, indicate that some work is required but that may not necessarily mean forking out for etch; add details as you see fit; the basic dimensions and details are there, and as before, if you're dissatisfied, you can always buy Trumpeter at some future date.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brian
Tank_builder
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 394 posts
Armorama: 351 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 03:44 PM UTC
I know it's not on your list but I'm working on the SKIF Strela-10 and have enjoyed it. I'm not sure of its inaccuracies, I know there is an update set for the wheels. I agree with Spiderfrommars about their MT-LB series.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
The Skif kits are rough and take a bit of work. They're ok though, nothing stellar. I've got a nice little stack of skif kits. I just need to finish painting my T-64BV, it doesn't look too bad. Some of their kits get bundled with some PE parts, if you can get one. Makes them look better. My T-80UD came with Eduard PE. So Profi pack is good.

I've got
T-80UD Profi pack
T-55 (stalled, been bulding my Tamiya T-55/Tamiya T-55 Enigma)
BMP-3 Profi pack
T-64BV
Strela 10
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Thanks alot guys, you really helped.
Thanks
Euan
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 06:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a T-64A and T-80UD on the way. The T-64 will remain an A but I want to try to change the T-80UD to the T-80B. I will let you know my thoughts on those two.

Thanks
Euan
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 06:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I'm just wondering if the following kits are worth getting.

As long as you get a truckload of Prozac to go with it, yes

Euan
Firefly26
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - 09:31 AM UTC
T-80 UD (profipack) came in yesterday and I like everything I see except the turret, but that is only because I want to make a T-80B. Like BootsDMS said, the mantlet cover is really about the only blaring toylike trait of the 64-80 series. I do love these two Skif kits though. The T-64 turrets do fit into the T-80 chassis perfectly, even better than they do in the T-64 chassis, which is promising for a T-80B conversion, the engine deck is the only problem. I'm about to go fictional, but I have a DML 80B on the way and hopefully I can swap out engine decks... Anyway, if you get a T-64 profipack or T-80UD profipack (and want to leave the ERA on) you will enjoy them.
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC
I got some pics if it helps:

T-64BV

I wouldn't use the tow cables, they're pretty bad.... Luckily I have extras from another kit.

T-80UD

I'll try to get back to you on the build of these kits, right now I'm busy with this bad boy:
 _GOTOTOP