_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Your thoughts please
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 80 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 07:17 AM UTC
I'm kinda new to the 1/35 figure painting. I will be using a lot of figures in a diorama that i'm making for a snap shot of when I was in the Army. I painted her using mostly model master enamels and acrylic paints. I used a mixture of Van Gogh water colors and glaze mix for the skin color. To me it looks better with the naked eye than with the camera shot. I did some dry brushing with different shades of greens and tans. I want to try to get the web gear to be a lighter shade than the rest of the uniform. I remember they where made of a nylon material that didn't really hold the color well. I'm going to make some decals for the Marne patches that go on the sides of the helmet and her shoulder. I was thinking of using some spare slime light decals to make the cat eyes for the back of the helmet and the bag on her back. Other than that I don't know what she needs. Her M-16 will be in the humv that she will be standing beside. The time frame for the diorama will be around 1998. I just just like to hear your thoughts on her.

Thanks

Mark

jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 01:16 PM UTC
wow!!! that bad?
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 02:14 PM UTC
Calm down Mate, its only been 6 hours! the figure sections gets a quarter of the traffic of armor/afv.

Good start, I have no experience painting Ethnic faces whatsoever, and have never tried ( YET ) so i would be the wrong person to comment on your face, your left eye looks a little sleepy though.
i dont know what colour you used for the eye whites, but its a little too bright, contrasts a bit too much with the dark skintone. your iris/pupils are located well.

I feel drybrushing has its place in figure modelling, but not on uniforms, Perhaps to accentuate items on webbing and equipment, and possibly to symbolize dirt. It doesn't look too bad though and i think i understand the effect you were after.

I feel the hair is a little too glossy and could benefit from a light series of highlights

your camoflage looks a little blobby, next time it would be better to do a few thinner coats, or try a different paint, Vallejo is the best Acrylic for figure painting.
also, taking a lot more time, and excersizing brush control will help to refine your painting,

all constructive criticism of course, My First figure was a lot lot worse, there is a long path ahead of learning and techniques, but it is worth it, so keep practicing, and check the web and armorama/historicus forma for figure painting techniques!

James
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 02:34 PM UTC
Mark,
Take your gas mask color and add a bit more green and some acrylic clear and you' ll have your web gear color. James is right with the came does need a little more definition to it. If you give the figure an oil wash it should bring out some of the definition as well. Overall looks good, and I would be proud of it. If you turn out s bunch that look this good you will be fine, and if they get better well there you go. Cheers.
jezones
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2012 - 04:22 PM UTC
Thanks for the well thought out replies. I understand what your saying about the camo looking a little blobby. I think I just need a lighter hand while painting it. I'm going to lay out one of my old uniforms to go by on the next figure. Yes the eyes are hard to get right on a dark skinned person. I keep practicing. Thanks again

Mark
 _GOTOTOP