_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Trojans
Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Armorama: 330 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 05:48 AM UTC
Why is it every time i am on Armorama Norton Security keeps flagging up that a Trojan is attempting to get through my trapdoor,apart from pissing me off! it is getting painfull,anyone else in trouble.
Arthur
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
I have been having the same thing happen to me. I sent Jim a PM about it asking if it could be something about the forums that Norton is misreading as a trojan but so far no reply, he is a very busy guy so I don't think he had time to answer.
I don't get it every time I come onto the site but sometimes it happens every couple of minutes. It can be a real pain in the butt clearing the alerts.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC
Sorry for laughing but Trojans are a well-known brand of Condoms in the States.....could be trying to slip in..... oh dear.......
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 06:46 AM UTC
Martin,
Sorry I must have really missed that email. I am somewhat at a loss to explain that alert from Norton. I mean I guess it's possible that our server has been infected with a trojan. I will have to do some homework on the best means to check. I think it's a little odd that I keep having all these issues with UK ISP users (and a few other euro users) but no one else. Is this a conspiracy by someone over there?

It doesn't give you any additional info on the potential trojan? Is this when you access the site or when you login?

Thanks,
Jim
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 07:16 AM UTC
Actually Jim, my pop--up blocker keeps killing pop-ups every time I sign on here now, but that might just be adware that I haven't killed yet.

Rob
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 07:23 AM UTC
Hmmm,

I had that also with my firewall/anti-virus.

Every now and then i get a trojan warning, but I have to say that the last time that this happened was about 2-3 months ago, did not get any warnings since then
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi there

No problems here...

I use Norton (updated only recently) and it's not picking up anything nasty. I also run Ad-aware every few days and it picks up the odd thing once in a while, but nothing major.

Martin, do you get the problem on A-UK too?

All the best

Rowan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:46 AM UTC
I use McAfee VirusScan Online. And have never had a warning like that from any site. I get them via emails that come through my Outlook, but not from a site. I am not sure how a Trojan virus would propagate itself from a server (but I am no virus expert).

The only thing that Armorama should be doing on anyone's pc is creating a user cookie to facilitate automated login, language selection, and the like.

Cheers,
Jim
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 09:44 AM UTC
Arthur, I also get frequent trojan alerts from Norton, but not usually anything specific to Armorama. These are usually for something refered to as a Sub Seven Trojan
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Armorama: 234 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 05:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Martin, do you get the problem on A-UK too?

All the best

Rowan

Rowan I don't seem to have the problem on A-UK, probably due to the superior British craftsmanship of the site [BUY BRITISH] #:-)
No it is only really here on BigA that it happens. It can go days without any problem and then suddenly I seem to get a load of warnings all together.
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 08:47 PM UTC
I use Norton Corporate Edition and I update it evry week but...no problem from me...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 06:53 AM UTC
From the brief google search I was able to do so far it would seem Linux/UNIX based servers are not really the type to "spread" a trojan virus. Apparently a hacker can write a trojan that could possibly get on to the server, but because of the way UNIX based systems work, the trojan would have an almost impossible time replicating itself off of the server.

Microsoft based servers are a different matter however.

Thank goodness we use Linux.

Jim
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Does that mean the problem's more likely to start at members' ISPs? When I log onto the Big-A at work (with AOL!! Spit!!...) I get constant pop-up warnings that never happen on my Supanet setup at home.

All the best

Rowan
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:10 AM UTC
I think that means they originate on your computer. The adware gets installed when some program you downloaded has it piggy-backed in with it and then after it installs, it sends out data and requests that result in pop-ups. My 'puter has been having big problems with them lately, so I installed pop-up stopper, a free pop-up killer from Panicware

Rob
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Monday, October 20, 2003 - 02:20 AM UTC
I use Norton at home and AOL 9.0 with its internal pop-up blocker. I have never gotten a virus alert when I'm on here and the pop-up blocker never detects any pop-ups here.It does at some other sites, so it does work. There are no pop-up controls at work on a network and I never get them on this site. We use McAfee at work and it never indicates a problem.
 _GOTOTOP