_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
The best T-55 kit?
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 11:01 PM UTC
Hi all,

I read a review recently which stated the best 1/35 T-55 out there was the Tamiya kit? Is this still the case? Is the new Iraq version worth the extra cash?

Sorry for all the questions...

Nige
dvarettoni
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 11:05 PM UTC
hay nigel yes Tamiya is the only way to go for the T-55 as far as the new kit i can't say good look
dave
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2012 - 11:08 PM UTC
Yes Nige, although it has some minor flaws (engine deck has some mistakes) Tamiya is absolutely the best T-55 kit.

Regarding the latest version issued, well, as far I've undestood since now, it isn't perfect to depict the Iraqui Enigma tank. It needs for exemple different link tracks. However I think it could be a rather good and less expensive alternative to the resin conversion such for exemple the Legend one

Cheers

Ps hi Dave
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I read a review recently which stated the best 1/35 T-55 out there was the Tamiya kit? Is this still the case? Is the new Iraq version worth the extra cash?

Nige

Don't buy it quite yet Nige! Tamiya are releasing the T-55 with an Aber barrel and some photo etch- that would improve a few things right away without having to go looking for them! The kit might already be out, I think it was supposed to be released the same time as the Enigma.
gloucesternige
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 283 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 02:32 AM UTC
Thankyou for your replies Guys,

I wasn't aware of the Tamiya with extra's release, so thanks for the heads up!!

Nige
ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC
I have both the Tamiya T-55 and Enigma kits on my work area. The T-55A is just amazing and the enigma is the same. I've compared the sprues and most of it is the same with the addition of a few new sprues for the armor. It does have a new upper hull, though I noticed they left some things off, but nothing that can't be fixed.

If your going for an Enigma build, then Tamiya is the way to go. It's going together real well.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 09:23 AM UTC
Nigel, if you need reference pics let me know

Cheers
Ranchhand
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 257 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi all,

Nige

Don't buy it quite yet Nige! Tamiya are releasing the T-55 with an Aber barrel and some photo etch- that would improve a few things right away without having to go looking for them! The kit might already be out, I think it was supposed to be released the same time as the Enigma.

i think its cheaper to buy the kit "plain" and get the photoetch separate, tamiya is marking this up pretty drastically...
 _GOTOTOP