Hosted by Darren Baker
MARINE M-48A3
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 311 posts
Armorama: 305 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
I am working on a Marine M-48A3. I have attached the torsion arms on one side and made a adjustable idler wheel to solve the problem of loose tracks after lowering the hull. Here are some pictures and a walk through of the activities so far.

The .080 plastic strips are used to set the distance of the torsion arms and keep them aligned. Also I have added putty to bumper housings.

To make the adjustable idler wheel this part has to be cut apart.

I attached and torsion arm

Next I made an axle for idler housing and drilled a hole in the housing.

Then make a hole in the lower hull.

Insert the axle. Attach the idler housing and viola adjustable idlers

I hate roadwheels so I can only do so much wheel stuff and then I work on somethin else. In this case it is the turret which is now about 98% done. That is except the paint. Let's take a little trip and see how things turned out.

We begin with basic turret construction. As with most Tamiya kits assembly is pretty much hassle free, but with the age of the kit there is some flash that needs to be removed. With basic construction complete I set about makeing the mantlet cover.

I needed to add several details to the mantlet cover that were not included in the kit or were under size. The rear of the mantlet cover has a beaded edge on the back of the cover so used solder wire to make this. The most promenent part of the cover is the retaining clips that hold it to the turret face. The kit features are small so I replaced them with strips of lead foil adding a small piece of styrene rod for bolt head. A little time consuming, but worth it.

Next I moved on to the loaders hatch. The ejector pin marks were removed and a PE handle was added. The best part of the loaders hatch in outside with the handle and those large springs that aid in opening and closing the hatch. The molded on handel was replaced with a wire one and the molded on springs were replaced with ones made of copper wire.

next came adding details to rear of the turret. The vent parts were added. Then I added some weld bead made out of solder wire and then textured with a sculpting knife. On the very back of the turret are some loops designed to hold straps that were molded on. These were replaced with one made of copper wire.

Since this will be a Marine Patton (RAH) I was presented with a problem. Most early Marine tanks coming in country did not come equiped with rectangular search light, but rather an older round version used in the fifties. I have been planning this project for some time so the search was on to find this version of the search light. Thing were looking pretty unlikely that I would find one and then I came across a old Dragon M-46 kit and low and behold the kit comes with the very light I needed. My joy was tempered by the fact that it came with no clear lens instead where the lens was supposed to be was solid. Also inside the light was a set shutters that woul have to be built. So I set to work and drilled and cut out the front of the light to open it. I then made the shutter and a lens made of clear plastic. to complete the light.

One of things that make this light interesting is that it has lots of wiring. I made a small junction box on the back of the light for all the wire to come from and wired the light.

I moved to the turret side where a railing, lift ring and a jerry can was added. PE was added to the Jerry can to replace molded on detail.

Next was the turret basket with PE mesh.

I added a PE spare roadwheel rack to the rear ventilater.

The last thing was the commanders cupola pretty strait foward. I added some PE details and the dust cover over the top. Here are some images of the nearly finished turret comments and questions are always welcome and thanks for looking.

Terry
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 10:18 AM UTC
Nice looking work so far, can't wait to see the final product. I have always kind of had an eye on the M48, something about it.
MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 04:30 PM UTC
Tenacious Terry! You sure are going to town on that hog. I like the look of the early light. That work with the compensating idler is top notch. Hope to see it in the flesh come June down Tejas way?
Outta here, Mike sends . . .
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 - 06:40 PM UTC
Very good job Terry. With all the detai lyou've already added, you'd make a new loader's hatch locking device. The PE part you glued is nothing like the real one. I admit this is nitpicking

Olivier
DogGreen1
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 04:26 AM UTC
This is looking great. Can't wait to see how it progresses.
KoSprueOne
Visit this Community
Myanmar
KitMaker: 4,011 posts
Armorama: 1,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC
I'm following this project. Are you ghoing to add detail to the interior of the turret, cupola, and driver compartment?

redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice looking work so far, can't wait to see the final product. I have always kind of had an eye on the M48, something about it.

Thanks Kevin! Still a long way to go.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Tenacious Terry! You sure are going to town on that hog. I like the look of the early light. That work with the compensating idler is top notch. Hope to see it in the flesh come June down Tejas way?
Outta here, Mike sends . . .

Thanks Mike! Already got the hotel room. My plan is to have this done for Texas.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very good job Terry. With all the detai lyou've already added, you'd make a new loader's hatch locking device. The PE part you glued is nothing like the real one. I admit this is nitpicking

Olivier

Nitpicking is just fine. I'll see what I can do.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is looking great. Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Thanks Chris!!
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm following this project. Are you ghoing to add detail to the interior of the turret, cupola, and driver compartment?

Thanks for looking in. I plan to put some figures in the hatches, but some more work may be needed.

Terry
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:46 PM UTC
Hi Terry,

Very nice work man! im gonna tag along and learn a few things from you. Just a feeling i have. i look forward to this project.

Gary
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Terry,

Very nice work man! im gonna tag along and learn a few things from you. Just a feeling i have. i look forward to this project.

Gary

Hey Gary! You are welcome to come along. I hope I don't let you down.

Terry

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 - 08:05 PM UTC
[quote

Terry [/quote]

Terry,
at Prime Portal, you have at least one clear picture of the system. It's quite easy to scratchbuild.

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/erik_torp/m48a5/images/m48a5_41_of_66.jpg

Olivier
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 02:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

[quote

Terry

Terry,
at Prime Portal, you have at least one clear picture of the system. It's quite easy to scratchbuild.

http://data3.primeportal.net/tanks/erik_torp/m48a5/images/m48a5_41_of_66.jpg

Olivier[/quote]

Olivier I found the same image last night and you're right it should be easy. Thanks

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 05:36 PM UTC
I'm still waiting for my tracks to arrive so I'm still working on the turret. Started the painting process.

1st coat dark green.

2nd over spray of olive drab and olive green

3rd I started the shading progressively lighter shads of olive green mixed with khaki

Last I gave it an overall wash of a mixture of raw umber and olive green oil paint.

Next will be decals, dry brushing, and weathering. So stay tuned. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Terry B)
domingowin
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 06:38 PM UTC
Great job on painting..will be interested following
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 - 11:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Great job on painting..will be interested following

Thanks for looking in.

Terry
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Armorama: 329 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 01:11 AM UTC
Terry,
I love what you have done so far especially the searchlight.
I have been thinking about doing an early USMC M48 ever since reading "Marine Corps Tank Battles in Vietnam" by Oscar "Ed" Gilbert as well as an M51 VTR but the cost of the resin kit is putting me off at the moment
I'll have to look out for the old Dragon M46 kit to get hold of the searchlight and I wish someone would do a dozer kit for the M48 as well.
Keep up the good work
David
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 01:46 AM UTC
A brilliant, informative build; especially the searchlight details. I am planning to modify the Monogram M48 with just such a searchlight but the details of both fixtures and wiring had to date, eluded me, but now - thanks to your efforts - I have it! My M48A2, will (some day I admit!) depict a version in USAREUR finish, so many thanks for the details.

Keep up the good work.

Brian
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Terry,
I love what you have done so far especially the searchlight.
I have been thinking about doing an early USMC M48 ever since reading "Marine Corps Tank Battles in Vietnam" by Oscar "Ed" Gilbert as well as an M51 VTR but the cost of the resin kit is putting me off at the moment
I'll have to look out for the old Dragon M46 kit to get hold of the searchlight and I wish someone would do a dozer kit for the M48 as well.
Keep up the good work
David

Thank for your kind words!! I wish we could get a new more accurate M-48 to build and it would be nice if someone would make the early search light, but I guess until then we will just have to cobble up what we need.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A brilliant, informative build; especially the searchlight details. I am planning to modify the Monogram M48 with just such a searchlight but the details of both fixtures and wiring had to date, eluded me, but now - thanks to your efforts - I have it! My M48A2, will (some day I admit!) depict a version in USAREUR finish, so many thanks for the details.

Keep up the good work.

Brian

Thank you so much! I'm glad you found some information you could use. I fear there are still some details that are still bit sketchy especially where the mounting is concerned, but knowing how the Corp. jerry rigs and custom make alot of things maybe I'm too far off.

Terry
redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2012 - 11:48 PM UTC
Got my AFV workable tracks today and I just had to put some together. The fit of the end connectors is so close that no glue is needed. I also reworked and attached the shocks and built the sprockets. Each shock had to be cut and drilled out to allow for them to be adjustable because of the lowered hull. Here is a few pictures of the fun so far. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

Terry

redraider
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 05:44 AM UTC
I worked on some of the running gear last night and finished the road wheels and one track run. All that is left is to re-attach track tension stuff. After putting the tracks on I was able to rotate the front road wheel and track tightened like a charm. Here are a few pictures.

Terry

Chilihead
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 626 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 - 06:42 AM UTC
New World Miniatures produced the light and mantlet cover.
Mrosko
 _GOTOTOP