Hosted by Darren Baker
M60A1/A3 Quastions
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC
I have a question about the M60A1. I just bought Tamiya's M60A3 kit and plan to build it into an Iranian version. From my understanding Iran recieved mostly A1 version and I need to know what I have to do to backdate the kit from an A3 to an A1 if anything. Any help would be greatful.

Cheers
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 05:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have a question about the M60A1. I just bought Tamiya's M60A3 kit and plan to build it into an Iranian version. From my understanding Iran recieved mostly A1 version and I need to know what I have to do to backdate the kit from an A3 to an A1 if anything. Any help would be greatful.

Cheers

Chris,
There are several items that the M60A3 differed from the M60A1.

First the hull:
- You will need to use side loading air cleaners. They might be in the kit already or you may have to use the ones from the Tamiya M48A3 kit.
- You will also need the T-97 chevron track - I prefer the individual link set from AFV Club.
- Use aluminum roadwheels - the ones with the fins. The ones from the Esci M60A1/3 kit are the best plastic ones although they are not great... Legends makes some resin ones that should work.

Turret:
- The main gun did not have a thermal shield - The unshielded one might be in the box or use a 105mm from the USMC M60A1 or a aluminum replacement barrel.
- Do not mount the Smoke Grenade Launchers nor the spare Smoke Grenade boxes.
- Do not mount the wind sensor on the left rear of the turret, behind the loader's hatch.
- Range Finder Blisters - do not use the one that has the covered slot. There should be two opened ones in the kit.
- Gunner's sight. Use the one with the flat top, not the rounded one, which is for the TTS thermal sight. It should be in the kit or PM me as I think that I might have one from the Ecsi kit.
- Searchlight. M60A1s usually had the later oval shaped searchlights (AN/VVS-1s) mounted. The best one is from the Tamiya M48A3 kit.

That should be the basic recipe to get a M60A1 from a M60A3 kit...

HTH

John

MikeMummey
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 653 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 03:24 AM UTC
Some of the M60A1s had top loading air cleaners. And I have seen pictures of Iranian M60A1s with T-142 track(replaceable octagon track pads). Se he does not have to rat-fornicate his 48 kit.

Outta here, Mike sends . . .
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 07:47 AM UTC
Mid 70s M60A1s had top loading air cleaners. As I recall there were 3 types of air cleaners. Side loading aluminum, top loading aluminum and armored top loaders. The side loaders allowed in too much dust. Top loaders had a better seal. After the 73 war it was realized that the aluminum air cleaners were easily damaged and they were replaced with armored ones. The armored boxes have the front slope. It depends on when your M60 was built and delivered. My 60A1 which I got new in 78 had armored air cleaners and the small rectangular search light with passive sights.

Tom
TankSGT
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
Armorama: 946 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
The M60A1s in the 11th ACR around 78 had T142 track and British style smoke grenade launchers. The best thing to do is check pictures of an Iranian M60 of the era your building. As the Army transitioned from A1 to A3 alot of the improvements were added to A1s. As a side bar I hated aluminum road wheels.

Tom
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
Thanks everyone for the input on what I need to do to backdate the kit. I think the kit has everything in it that I need, I don't have it on hand yet, but I have seen the sprue shots. I just want to make sure I have everything before starting.

Cheers
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 12:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Chris,
If i remember right when tamiya's M60A3 came out there were extra parts to make a USMC M60A1 everything was there to make a M60A1
There are several items that the M60A3 differed from the M60A1.

First the hull:
- You will need to use side loading air cleaners. They might be in the kit already or you may have to use the ones from the Tamiya M48A3 kit.
- You will also need the T-97 chevron track - I prefer the individual link set from AFV Club.
- Use aluminum roadwheels - the ones with the fins. The ones from the Esci M60A1/3 kit are the best plastic ones although they are not great... Legends makes some resin ones that should work.

Turret:
- The main gun did not have a thermal shield - The unshielded one might be in the box or use a 105mm from the USMC M60A1 or a aluminum replacement barrel.
- Do not mount the Smoke Grenade Launchers nor the spare Smoke Grenade boxes.
- Do not mount the wind sensor on the left rear of the turret, behind the loader's hatch.
- Range Finder Blisters - do not use the one that has the covered slot. There should be two opened ones in the kit.
- Gunner's sight. Use the one with the flat top, not the rounded one, which is for the TTS thermal sight. It should be in the kit or PM me as I think that I might have one from the Ecsi kit.
- Searchlight. M60A1s usually had the later oval shaped searchlights (AN/VVS-1s) mounted. The best one is from the Tamiya M48A3 kit.

That should be the basic recipe to get a M60A1 from a M60A3 kit...

HTH

John

18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 03:53 PM UTC
I wonder--could an interior be in the offing?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 08:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder--could an interior be in the offing?

Rob,
You are such a tease...
Maybe one of your Korean friends??
Do you have a CD for the M60A3 interior??

To drift off topic, how 'bout some more chopper pics or a link to your chopper pic stash?? It was looking sweet around Christmas.

John
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 09:01 AM UTC
Oh I just like spreading rumors.

As for the bike, am working a contracting gig now, hence the lack of posts lately. When I get home all I have to do is wire it (blow string through the frame with compressed air first to get my wiring in) and then bolt it back together. Clear sealant has been applied to everything so it's all raw metal. I'm glad you like it. I'll post some photos when finished.

Ah, photos on Photobucket under 18bravo_photos.
 _GOTOTOP