_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Sherman
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2012 - 06:06 PM UTC
Hello Guys

Being relatively new to the IDF scene, I thought I might start building something to get back into the hobby so to speak. Normally I model german armour and late war german aircraft plus the odd thing that tickles my fancy, so the sherman tank and IDF are very left field for me. I normally dont post work on a forum for fear of criticsm and sometimes not finishing but am doing so here so i know im heading on the right path. The model is primarily the m51 Isherman 3539 from Dragon backdated using the AEF M1 sherman conversion kit plus a little bit of scratchbuilding of things to make it accurate. Please note the pictures show things slowly going together and sort of placed together to get the look and feel of where im going. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated enjoy

tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:13 AM UTC
Stephen,

I can appreciate the problems associated with moving into unknown territory. Unfortunately, you've chosen the two worst kits to use as a basis for any M4A1. Dragon's hull is totally wrong in its front contours, way too shallow around the hatch bulges. I built one, but I used a round file and photos to get it right. Thankfully, it had just enough plastic thickness to spare. You can read a book through it though! It is also based on the M51 in Latrun, which has an entirely different upper rear hull configuration, cut and lengthened with different angle.
The AEF turret is simply wrong for anything.
May I suggest other combos?
1. The old Italeri kit is way ahead of its time, and would accurately represent an early M1 as is, and with HVSS,Muzzle brake and smoke dischargers, it's good for 1967. Substitute a 76mm turret from CMD, Formations, etc and it gets you there faster.
2. Use the Dragon Cobra kit for the hull and turret. It's better.
3. Best combo today? Tamiya M1 and M51. Drop the M1 turret and engine deck/ lower rear onto the M51 without all of the stowage and you're practically there before you start.

Hope this helps a little. IDF vehicles offer lots of variety for a fresh look on WWII vehicles.

Tom Gannon
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 07:24 PM UTC
Thanks for the reply Tom i determined to make the best of both kits. I did try to get a hold of the CMD Turret but had no luck and the AEF kit was the only one available with the mantlet cover...... thanks again for the advie mate will take it on board

Mods can you please delete this build thread
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 07:30 PM UTC
I'm loveing this build and I'd love to see more.
stevieneon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 143 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 07:43 PM UTC
You can buy a seperate turret from Tasca pretty cheaply. I've used them several times and the service is fabulous.
 _GOTOTOP