_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Nominate the first User of the Month
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:19 PM UTC
I first would like to that Andrew (drewgimpy) for this great idea. Each month we are going to be able to nominate up to 5 people for a User of the Month. The details are on this page:

Order of the Golden Rivet

Ok...so I got a little carried away with the name thing. I would have like to use "Armormaniac" but in the end it sounded a little too...umm....well like the poor user had rabbies and needed to be put down! hehe

Anyways...check out the page as to the details. But come back here and make your nomination if you have one. I'm sure we all know a few people who deserve to be recognized for their contributions here. Also I don't want this to be assumed to be just a "forum" posting award. It can also go out to feature story contributors and other site contributors who help everyone make their model building a little more interesting, fun, and hopefully less stressful.

A special thanks to Dave Scheel over at Military Hobbies (www.militaryhobbies.com) for offering the Gift Certificate each month to the honoree. Thanks Dave!

I'd like to rush through this first one and get an honoree up soon. So...start da nominating!

Thanks,
Jim
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:21 PM UTC
Ahh....forgot I was still logged in a my test account. Well so much the better as you can see how the honoree's will be presented (virtually) with a medal for their good works. Example to the left. This is a permanent medal. The page listed above will announce the current month's honoree and tell some really emabaressing personal stuff about them. Just kidding.

Cheers,
Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 12:22 PM UTC
Back to my normal persona now. :-)
Phantom
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 01:17 PM UTC
While there are several folks deserving of this honour, I'll nominate Gunnie for his work in coaching anyone who asks through their Gun Truck conversions. His encyclopedic knowledge of the subject always seems to get them where they need to go. He has gone above and beyond the call of duty in posting in progress photos of his work, and the jigs and templates he uses to perform his work. He's a true credit to the site.
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 04:22 PM UTC
Hi,

If we only can point one nominee, I 'll nominate DGeraths for having shared with us is DW dio from the begining of it.

ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:50 PM UTC
That's great! :-)
For my first nominee I'd like to start with staff_Jim for making this atonishing site, where we all fellow can fell home!
Also I'd like to nominee SABOT for all his valuable contribution and references pictures...
Cheers!
relichunter00
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:51 PM UTC
As there are several that are excellent canidates, I nominate SABOT for his extensive knowledge of military vehicles and his willness to share it whenever asked. Also his work at obtaining great photos when someone ask him.

Anthony
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:52 PM UTC
My first nominee is Lt. General Sabot.

His tireless commitment to shooting photos of all the stuff in his motorpool is deserving of several Golden Rivets. His contributions do not stop there. He continues to write reviews. Regulary contributes to the Chat Rooms

However beyond all of this, he contributes to the Forums at a rate that few, if any of us, can keep up with.

Thanks,
Tim
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 07:58 PM UTC
Sabot would be my vote for service above and behond the call of Duty. And 5 browine points to me for also nominating Jim Starkweather.

Jeff
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 08:50 PM UTC
My nomination for the first inductee into the Order of the Golden Rivet is....
::::::::ripping open envelope::::::::
SABOT
::::::::applause::::::::
I'll nominate hime because he's a real nice guy, seems to know everything about model kits and armor, and is very helpful to newbies who are looking for info. When I first came to the site, I was looking for a model of a WW II subchaser. Well, I posted an inquriry in the forums and lo and behold... Sabot knew of a kit, and he owned one. To make the story short, he sold me the model. This is just one example of how helpful he's been and a reason why I've nominated him.
Besides, he always wins free stuff. Right? :-)

YodaMan
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:18 PM UTC
Well, this is especailly hard for me because I could put up a good argument that nobody has been helped more, by more different people than I have on the site. Now that it comes down to it I feel like I am going to betray someone for not voting for them, but hay, thats what next month is for I guess. I am going to have to nominate SABOT also. what hasn't he done? Whenever I have asked for information he always gives more than I was looking for, yet I need it all. He has crawled on the ground to get pictures of the under side of a hummer for me also. I look forward to nominating some other guys in the coming months. I don't want to turn this into a thank everyone speach so I will leave it at that.

I really hope this whole thing turns out being fun for everyone. I think we can all keep this in focus as to what it really is, a way to thank people who do so much. At least thats what it is to me.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:24 PM UTC
There are so many around here that I'd like to nominate...
So, this month, I'll start with SABOT !
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:26 PM UTC
For the most inspiring work I´ve seen here, my vote goes to DGeraths (you all know the reason!)

Toni
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 09:56 PM UTC
I nominate Jim for creating this awesome website and maintaining it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 10:49 PM UTC
Wow.....where to begin.
My first thought is, there are just sooooo many people who deserve the moniker 'maniac' ,,,er, sorry, golden rivet after their name, that the choice would seem extremely hard. But we are nominating the very FIRST award here. So, without a doubt, I feel compelled to nominate the person who has shed the blood, worked up the sweat, and shed the virtual tears for us ALL.
My nomination:

************** Brigadier General Starkweather!!!! *********************

Tread
:-) :-) :-)

After all, he's the man we have to thank for ALLLLLLLLLLLLL this.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:13 PM UTC
Thanks for the nods of support guys. I am half tempted to just self-bestow me with the award, but I won't.

I need to find a blind voting system for PHP (which shouldn't be difficult). I thought about it last night and using the poll system would just not be right as the number of votes each nominee gets are not the issue, only who happens to get the most. For that I think only I need to know the actual numbers. As Steve said in another thread, this should not become a popularity contest. I hope everyone agrees on this point.

Thanks again,
Jim
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:23 PM UTC
Jim, I agree. This is not a popularity contest! We don't need to see the final number of votes for each person. This 'Golden Rivet' should just be a prize of appreciation from the users of ArmoramA.

Since this is only the nomination process.... I'll have to nominate GunTruck also. He's the master modelbuilder. He obviously loves the hobby, and enjoys surfing the forums to help the newbies. (that was a reference to myself! ) I also love it when he posts jaw-dropping photos of his latest projects.

One other thought, why not give each months winner a 'meister' title? You know, Kencelot - the Linkmeister. Sabot - the Kitmiester. Gunnie - the Guntruckmeister (that one needs a little work) M1 - the Linkmeister's apprentace. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
So, it's not a great idea......

YodaMan
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:38 PM UTC
YM....LOLies

Jim
RufusLeeking
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 330 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:39 PM UTC
Well back in January when I first stumbled onto this site, Sabot wore cool shades and had a wealth of knowledge for this newbie. My vote this month is for the master of winning free kits, because I am able I'll vote for Sabot.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

........ As Steve said in another thread, this should not become a popularity contest. I hope everyone agrees on this point.

Thanks again,
Jim

I couldn't agree with you more Jim! I feel pretty certain the 'clan' here at Armorama will do the nomination process justice. Since you posted this thread (or I just noticed it) this morning, I've been thinking about the award and the possible nominees. My thoughts are that 'populartity' is not, nor could be, the core of the award. Each and every member here truly gives something different both to the site, and to fellow members.
For example, Rob (Sabot) has been priceless with his seemingly inexhaustable knowledge of kits, and his remarkable collection of gallery pics. Without Kenc' how could we possibly find those darn LINKS by ourselves? Sometimes I feel like he's one of those 'Navigators' from the film 'Dune". And as to Gunnie, well, I cannot say enough about how open and supportive he has been to me personally and to the ALL the members here! He not only explains what he means with a very clear verbal picture, but he also adds an actual picture where needed!
Now I could on about many other members here, but there's no need. The point is, that each member gives their particular contribution, whether large or small to the site. People like CaptainJack makes me question my sanity, ArmouredSprue fills me with confidence in the hobby because I get this feeling he's all alone out there in Brazil making models, YodaMan just makes me mad (just kiddin') actually he makes me have a good feeling about the younger generation of modelers that are coming down the pike. The nomination process should take all those things and more into account.
In fact, as a suggestion, we could possibly 'tag' the award process with a high school type graduation award moniker, such as; 'Voted most likely to Post Links' (Kenc'), or 'Voted most likely to already own the bloody kit in question' (Sabot), and let's not forget ' Voted most likely to actually attend a Prom' (YodaMan).

Just my rambles fella's

Tread.
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:53 PM UTC
Sabot, da man!!!!!!!!!!!
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

and let's not forget ' Voted most likely to actually attend a Prom' (YodaMan).

Actually, I've never been to one......

I must echo your thoughts, Tread. Hmmmmm. What's Tread the 'Meister' of? Any suggestions?

YodaMan
m1garand
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 11:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

and let's not forget ' Voted most likely to actually attend a Prom' (YodaMan).

Actually, I've never been to one......

I must echo your thoughts, Tread. Hmmmmm. What's Tread the 'Meister' of? Any suggestions?

YodaMan

Humorous Quipmeister? :-)
Chappy_ju87
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 146 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 12:06 AM UTC
I would say Jim, then Sabot with Gunnie running a close third
AndersHeintz
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,250 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 - 12:23 AM UTC
My Nominations
Jim is possible, with out you, where would we go to wake up in the mornings?
and
Envar, Envar been a great inspiration to me, both by showing his pictures and dioramas, but also he have taken the time to help me create an idea and draw it out on paper, all this at 3 am in morning for him! So thats where my nominations go!
 _GOTOTOP