_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
BMP--2 - Resurrecting an old DML kit
emroglan
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
Armorama: 842 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

Although I'm an AFV modeler at heart, I spent the last quarter of 2010 and the entire 2011 building aircraft models. As of 2012, I decided to make a comeback. However, I realized I had fallen behind in terms of new methods and products.

So instead of risking a brand new kit to my rusty skills, I decided to sacrifice one of my Depot Queens to the almighty Modelling Deities. The kit chosen was DML's old BMP-2 kit. I started building it nearly seven years ago. The fit of the kit was horrid and I didn't have a lot of experience and skill back then. Time to time, I worked on the kit but it was completely abandoned in 2010.

This is how it was looking when I decided to resurrect it (or dump it in the trash can if the result was too gross).

I really do not know why I decided to paint a BMP-2 in a funky spaceship flourescent green. Please don't ask I don't really remember!

The new base color was chosen as Tamiya's XF-65 Field Drab. It looks much better than that green I guess.

Then using whatever different green-greenish yellow and yellow greens, I started to add tones to my BMP-2. The usual suspects are lined up behind the model.

emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 06:28 AM UTC
After that, highlights were added. I mixed XF-65 with a very light green color to make the highlights. The NVA decals were replaced.

Then I started adding streaks with oil paints. I used lots of different colors to create movement, ranging from dark colors like black and umber to very light colors like Naples yellow and titanium white.

emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 06:30 AM UTC
Then I decided to add some mud and dust to give a used look. AK Interactive Products were used on the running gear, while MIG Pigments were used over the hull.

emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 06:33 AM UTC
With some last details added, the model was complete. I still regret painting chromium color at the periscope glasses. I should only painted them transparent green to suggest there was glass there.

Anyway, here's the final result. I hope you like it. Comments and criticism is all welcome. Did I pull color modulation off?

Peelou75
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 138 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hi,

This is a very well balanced painting, I like it very much! We have a lot of cold war era stuff around here in Hungary, and your kit catch the feeling of these vehicles.

Cheers,
Istvan
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 07:16 AM UTC
Very well done! I think you nailed the painting and weathering. I have wanted to take a try at this kit for some time, but have shyed from it due to the quality. Too bad I already have my Afghanistan kit. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
floggerspam
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 09:03 AM UTC
I liked both before and after shots.
Nice jobs.

John
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:25 PM UTC
Great job you've done on it!

It's a pity indeed that Zvezda kit it's so inaccurate...A shame that anyone has made a new BMP-2 tool yet

congrats indeed
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:53 PM UTC
Emre- you have really made this kit shine, the new paint job is awesome. In regards to color modulation- I think you have done it quite well- you can see the effects particularly in the last picture you posted. I think one or two areas could have benefited from a lighter or darker shade but all in all its a good job.
SovietBoy22
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 08:29 AM UTC
Very Very Nice
Well Done!
Thanks
Euan
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 10:41 AM UTC
Very nice job, Emre. Top job on the painting. Welcome back to the dark side
emroglan
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 07:38 PM UTC
Thanks a lot for the comments, glad you like it. I hope to begin new projects soon and use my newly gained experience on those. At the rate Trumpeter and Bronco are releasing new Cold War Era kits I think I'll have my hands full for some time
jointhepit
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 3,829 posts
Armorama: 881 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 03:05 AM UTC
very good job in overhauling! do this often , with the usual stuff breaking off, but I think this was a better solution then scrappin' it !!

good job!!

greetz
 _GOTOTOP