_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
zvezda T-72
Philby72
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 09:56 AM UTC
has anybody built the zvezda T-72 ? how was it?

I am also wondering if Trumpeter might have a 1/35 on the way?

Regards
Phil
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 12:11 PM UTC
Hi Phil

I have in my stash the T-72b made by Revell but actually is nothing but the Zvezda kit re-boxed. I haven't built and I think that never will because it has lots of dimensional mistakes, shortcomings and details inaccuracies

Unfortunately that's still the old Dragon kit which was produced when there was the iron courtain so it couldn't be accurate

Regarding Trumpeter, well we REALLY hope that they'll make a T-72 family, but they haven't scheduled yet

Tamiya still produced the more correct T-72, but if you want to reproduce a Russian exemplar, you'll have to use the (quite expensive) Miniarm conversions for the Turret the hull and the track links

If I were you I'd prefere to wait for a good kit

heers

ComradeMP
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 472 posts
Armorama: 453 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
I have a half built DML T-72 ERA and it's not so great. Have the hobby craft Iraqi T-72 and I won't even comment on it. Also have the Tamiya T-72M1. It's real nice, like anything Tamiya. It's missing some detail, completely left out the wiring/piping to the smoke launchers. But that's easy to build. I thought about the conversion parts, but they're a little bit too much for me.

I have high hopes for trumpeter. They've been giving us many Soviet machines as of lately. Already doing the BTR family, a few of the T-64 family (give me a BV please!) and one can only hope they follow it up with the T-72 family. T-90's out there and Meng has some more stuff comming out, so I'd be great to see Trumpeter turn out a T-80 as well.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:36 PM UTC
I have built Zvezda's T72. It builds into a nice looking kit, if soft on the detail. My biggest problem was installing the tracks. They are link and length, which is nice, but don't fit behind the skirt armor. I just left off the ones that you can't see. The fit was good. Price not being an issue, I would recomend Tamiya's T72A.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 10:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have built Zvezda's T72. It builds into a nice looking kit, if soft on the detail. My biggest problem was installing the tracks. They are link and length, which is nice, but don't fit behind the skirt armor. I just left off the ones that you can't see. The fit was good. Price not being an issue, I would recomend Tamiya's T72A.

Actually Tamiya kit depicts an M version, a quite rare eastern German exemplar. To obtain a Russian A version you need extra sets

Look here for info

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/167913&page=1
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Actually Tamiya kit depicts an M version, a quite rare eastern German exemplar. To obtain a Russian A version you need extra sets

Look here for info

My bad. I meant the M version.
UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:18 PM UTC
we could expecting zvezda release new T-72 kit using current T-90 chassis ( in 5 years...)

or It's possible that trumpeter will release some new T-72 series
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 - 11:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Look here for info

My bad. I meant the M version.

Yes I wondered Matt

Quoted Text

we could expecting zvezda release new T-72 kit using current T-90 chassis ( in 5 years...)

or It's possible that trumpeter will release some new T-72 series

Unfortunately, zvezda T-90 hull has some flaws and as far as I know the actual hull is different from the T-72 one

We can just wait for Trumpeter
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 02:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

we could expecting zvezda release new T-72 kit using current T-90 chassis

I hope not.

UGBEAR
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 248 posts
Armorama: 247 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
at least we would have a new T-72 now.....I think it's time for Model factories put an end to the German WWII madness.....
 _GOTOTOP