_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Which 1/35 British soldiers for TELIC 2003?
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 324 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hi,
my future project will be a small vignette from OP. TELIC 2003. I´d like to use these Blackdog´s figures, but I am not sure if their uniforms are OK for that period. Can you confirm or suggest an option?

Thanks
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 12:53 PM UTC
Yes they are OK with a "desert DPM" camouflage. The equipment looks good in comparison with photos of real soldiers.
There are also another two figures from Blackdog, a few from Accurate Armour and Verlinden.
Dtoys has released a W.M.I.K crew too.

There isn't any figures with the new uniform and the new helmet "Mk7" used since 2010 in Afghanistan.
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 06:45 PM UTC
thanks Alex,

I was wondering especially about the tactical / bulletproof vest as I have seen this type on photos from later stage of the OIF/OEF.

hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 07:05 PM UTC
Jiri,

also try the wee friends figure. I have got a small stash of modern brits for my small dio needs.

paul
Mario_HR
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 376 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 07:08 PM UTC
Don't think they are correct for the early period of combat actions. Looks like they are the later Osprey models. You could use the warriors figure or the blast tank crew torso (since they are half figures)
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 09:10 PM UTC
Hi Jiri, unfortunately these are not usable to Op Telic 2003. The body armour they are wearing is the Osprey, whereas troops in 2003 wore a mixture of Combat Body Armour Mk1 and a later version of the CBA which has a front and rear pocket for a ballistic ceramic plate to protect vital organs.

Here are some pics of the slightly later version (I guess introduced in the late 1990's/early 2000's):

And the earlier version, which I believe might have been used during GW1. This version only has a soft kevlar filler but no pockets for ceramic plates:

As far as I know only Accurate Armour and Verlinden offer figures wearing this body armour. Despite being labelled as SAS crew figures, these would probably be a better option for a WMIK crew in 2003

There are also two Verlinden sets, here and here. There is also a possibility that DML's early Desert Rats ODS figure set are eating the CBA Mk1 but I can't be certain, and the rest of those figures are unusable because they wear NBC suits. Hope this helps. If I come across any other modern Brit figures suitable for the time i'll post them up
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 09:55 PM UTC
Thank you Rob for your informations. And sorry for my mistake.

The Accurate Armour DPV crew has seats molded on each figure. We need to cut them, because they aren't the same seats than in a W.M.I.K.

There are also CMK figures but I don't know for which period they are OK.

The AFV crew has enormous helmets, not realistic I think, but the body armor corresponds at a CBA Mk1.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you Rob for your informations. And sorry for my mistake.

The Accurate Armour DPV crew has seats molded on each figure. We need to cut them, because they aren't the same seats than in a W.M.I.K.

There are also CMK figures but I don't know for which period they are OK.

The AFV crew has enormous helmets, not realistic I think, but the body armor corresponds at a CBA Mk1.

No problem Alex.

Yes I did see that the AA crew figures has seats moulded, but I figured they could be fairly easily cut away.

Regarding the CMK figures. Sadly these are best avoided. I can't recall whether they are actually depicted wearing body armour, but they certainly display an incorrect mix of equipment. I think they are wearing soldier 95 webbing and chest rigs, but with the much older 58 patten bergan. Certainly no good for the circa 2003. Maybe they could be chopped up and modified a bit, but I think CMK figures are generally not too great anyway.
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 08:14 AM UTC
Hi Rob,

Just for your info the earlier CBA had the front pocket for the Kevlar plate, the cover came in DPM, UN Blue and Desert Cam. The idea was that it would provide protection from shell splinters/shrapnel, and a plate added if it was touch more dangerous, yes there was always a shortage of plates!

By the way your box arrived today, cheers matey.

Cheers

Brian
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 05:16 AM UTC
I just found a figure in my stash which might work. For sure this figure was meant for 1991 Gulf War, but could you confirm it will be fine for Op. TELIC 2003 as well?

Thanks
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hi Jiri. That looks like Warriors modern British infantryman figure, which was available on its own or with the Warrior IFV crew.

I think he should be ok for an Operation Telic 1 trooper. He's wearing the Arktis chest rig which seems to have not been as common as the assault vests but was still used. The only thing which might be incorrect, and its hard to tell from the photo (I have the figure but in my stash at my parents house), is the middle pouch looks like an old 58 pattern utility pouch, which was totally out of use by 2003. You could modify it into a non-issue pouch by just carving off the securing strap for the top flap on the front (which is the distinguishing feature of it being 58pattern).
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:47 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Rob, this explanes a lot
afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2012 - 06:57 AM UTC
No problem Jiri! I look forward to seeing your build!
Jockbw
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 06:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jiri. That looks like Warriors modern British infantryman figure, which was available on its own or with the Warrior IFV crew.

I think he should be ok for an Operation Telic 1 trooper. He's wearing the Arktis chest rig which seems to have not been as common as the assault vests but was still used. The only thing which might be incorrect, and its hard to tell from the photo (I have the figure but in my stash at my parents house), is the middle pouch looks like an old 58 pattern utility pouch, which was totally out of use by 2003. You could modify it into a non-issue pouch by just carving off the securing strap for the top flap on the front (which is the distinguishing feature of it being 58pattern).

Dug the figure out of the stash... the pouch is suppossed to be the respirator from the sculpted details - but it is not "fat enough"...

hope that helps..
skarik
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi all,

finally I decided to backdate the Blackdog figures. I only need two for my small dio and this is what they turned in to. For scratchbuilding I only used Tamiya epoxy putty, strips of paper, some PE parts and especially pouches and gas mask bags I took from Dragon´s Brits set and from some resin figures I had in my stash.

Comments are welcome...

afv_rob
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 08:38 PM UTC
Excellent work Jiri, they look great!
 _GOTOTOP