_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Behind the Times Again?
Trisaw
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
Okay, I think by now it's time to raise the call again...

Does anyone believe that figure companies, resin or plastic, are falling behind the times, AGAIN?

I ask this is because years back there were hardly any figures in ACUs. Now after Afghanistan and Iraq, there's a huge influx of ACU figures from various (mostly resin) makers. Have resin figure makers caught up to the times of your nation? Seems like the only nation's soldiers that is reflected to today's uniforms is Russia. Am I wrong?

So how about U.S. Multicam figures? Yes, a resin company has a few offerings, but what about the rest of the figure makers who released so many ACU figures?

A Russian resin maker has blessed us ultra-modern U.S. guns, heads, communications, and tidbits other makers often neglect. However, I think it's time for the (resin) figure makers to catch up to 2012 and make figures that reflect the times or risk falling behind yet again. I mean it's been a few years already and Multicam has already been worn in the field for a while now.

What do you think? Am I jumping the gun here since ACU seems pretty standard, or do you think the figure makers are slipping? What nation's figures need to be brought up to 2012?

(One thing I've noticed is a lot reflect the desert. Why no jungle, Artic, woodland, or night ops?).
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 02:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So how about U.S. Multicam figures? Yes, a resin company has a few offerings, but what about the rest of the figure makers who released so many ACU figures?

This is not really an issue. The cut of the uniform is the same for UCP ACUs and Multicam uniforms (which are actually ACUs as well, ACU refers to the cut, not the camo pattern). You can take any figure intended to be UCP ACU and paint it up as Multicam.

I actually think we are doing pretty well on resin figures. The plastic figure makers really need to catch up though. With the exception of Master Box, there really are no modern figures in plastic.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 - 05:09 PM UTC
Patience. You know the Javelin gunner is next, followed by (probably) the SF Engineer Sgt.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 12:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Seems like the only nation's soldiers that is reflected to today's uniforms is Russia. Am I wrong?

Russian modern figures are very scattered too- the problem is the wealth of uniforms and personal equipment that has been used since 1990 is very broad. So on the one hand you can take a figure from 1993 and the cut of uniform will be the same for a figure as late as 2007/8 maybe even 09/10- the camo patterns change but thats just a matter of paint.

However, since about 2002 the Russians have begun using different cuts of uniform and equipment- none of which I have seen portrayed in plastic or resin. ANT Miniatures does produce some with very modern equipment but they are mostly confined to police type units and Spetsnaz who usually utilise somewhat differing uniforms and equipment from ordinary troops. Perhaps ANT or another company will release more up to date figures soon.

I do agree with Gino here though, I think the resin companies are doing quite well, it is really the plastic companies that need to keep up.
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 10:45 AM UTC
Nothing to moan about from me i'm afraid. I feel that everything is currently being pretty well covered for.

We have a ton of US figures in lots of different poses depicting special forces and standard infantry in ACU's etc. HobbyFan has six figures depicted wearing the CRYE multi cam uniform and equipment, and other figures are being constantly released wearing pretty much up to date gear.

On the allied front, theres Blackdog doing a whole mix of different armies, Brit WMIK crew, Canadian armour crew, Gecon ISAF infantry etc. AA have a good back catalog of fairly modern Brit soldiers and continue to expand. D-Toys are also rapidly expanding their line.

Then we have a shed load of modern Russians from companies in Eastern Europe. In about the past 5 years we've gone from no modern Russians apart from a few cold war figures to just about everything imaginable; infantry, special forces, afv crew etc, and ever increasing lines of cold war era subjects.

So really i'm very thankful at the moment for the attention that modern subjects are getting. I have to say we have absolutely never had it so good. If I was going to request one thing, i'd ask for some better quality early OIF figures, in DCU's and the basic IBA.
Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 01:30 PM UTC
I'd like to see Artic. I guess I'm spoiled by "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare" which shows U.S., NATO, and Russian soldiers in all sorts of garb for all sorts of operating environments, including wetsuit, Artic, and civilian attire.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 02:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I guess I'm spoiled by "Call of Duty, Modern Warfare"

In my best small town mechanic voice, "Well there's your problem."

I wouldn't rely on video games as references. They are rarely correct. Take a look at pics of modern soldiers and you will get a better idea of uniforms and gear.

Trisaw
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks, Gino...

What do you think of the 70mm Knight Models military figures? Do you think they're accurate or just hype? I recall reading a post about the SEAL and a real SEAL commented on that figure...some of it is accurate and some of it is fictional. I'm more interested in the U.S. SOF and Delta figure from Knight Models, knowing that there are more accurate ones out there for the price.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 - 11:06 PM UTC
Sorry, I haven't seen nor heard of the Knight Models figures.
spoons
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 527 posts
Armorama: 500 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:05 AM UTC
A set of British figures in plastic from Iraq or afghan would be nice.
AAs are OK but are lounging figures and dragons British infantry are a world of trouble!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 01:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A set of British figures in plastic from Iraq or afghan would be nice.
AAs are OK but are lounging figures and dragons British infantry are a world of trouble!

Have you seen the shots of the upcoming Airfix 1/48 sets? I wonder if they will be any good.
 _GOTOTOP