_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M1 Sherman Markings
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 12:33 PM UTC
Hi i was wondering if any can confirm for me that the M1 Shermans during the 67 6 day war had both the black and white stripe on the rear engine deck or the white stripe on the turret top, also i am wondering what markings the m1 sherman had before this conflct eg the 56 campaign etc any picture references would be greatly appreciated as i am looking at modelling some more M1 Shermans with hvss suspension etc
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 02:10 AM UTC
Some good pics here;
http://idf-armor.blogspot.com/
LAH1SS
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 231 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 11:50 AM UTC
Thank you for the reply mate i have that site bookmarked and have had a look through it well but no luck unfortunatly. It will come in handy though for the halftracks i plan on doing later
tgannon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:46 AM UTC
Re. 1967 M1 Super Shermans, it is always difficult to be definitive without photographs. I have some that I cannot post at the moment. Based on them, there were M1s with the stripe on the rear deck only, just from the vent splash backward. Others took the stipe all the way over the vent cover cover. The tanks coming around the old city with Motta Gur had the partial rear stripe and possibly one on the turret. Two are visible from the front, but in the same unit, I cannot see a turret stripe from the rear. It could be there, just not overlapping the bustle. Book sources are the Concord titles from Steve Zaloga as well as several Osprey books.

Tom
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:01 AM UTC
Zaloga shows a blue x with white outline on the engine deck in 1956 (Armour of the Middle East Wars 1948-1978).
 _GOTOTOP