_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jeep Italeri vs Tamiya Dimension difference?
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 06:40 AM UTC
Ola Guys

I have a question.
Is there a dimension difference between the Italeri and Tamiya Jeep. Are some of the parts between both kits different in size?

I'm wondering about this as I have the brilliant Memphis Belle Figure set from legend that I dug out of the storage last week and I have a Tamiya Jeep. But somehow the figures do not fit exactly right. This got me wondering as I know that some of their older offerings like the Motorcycle riders (Ex coree / Dynasty) were made to fit the old Italeri Motorcycles. And therefor do not exactly quite fit the Tamiya motorcycles. So I was wondering maybe this Memphis Belle set was one of those as well?

Does anybody know the Dimension differences between the Jeeps? If there are any?. Or maybe somebody built the Memphis Belle set and in that case I would love to hear what the jeep kit used was.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
baggemats
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 02:54 AM UTC
Not sure about the tamiya/Italeri differences but the old tamiya differs from the new one.
That's a very nice set of figures, saw them once on a show
Greetings Mats
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:17 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

Im working on the same thing actualy...and you are right, those figures dont fit worth a darn...

First, about your question. There isnt very much difference between the two kits. the only 'slight' variation ive seen is the contour of the area above the dash board (instrument panel)..its slightly smaller (height) and slightly different rounded corners. Other than that, the two kits are VERY close to each other in dimentions. In fact, Ive used the Italeri jeep for some projects (if I needed to do mods to the body, as it comes in seperate parts), and Tamyia for others. Just swap out the wheels on the italeri kit and you will have a great looking jeep.

As for those figures... Ive been scratching my head as to how they actully fit together. I think that the pair that sit in the far corner are actully sitting on a radio! Note the square indent on the butt. Im stil working on them, and have already concluded that I will need to do some modifications to make them look like they are naturaly sitting in the jeep.

maybe this comming weekend Ill put some time into fitting them into a jeep body and see what I come up with...post some pictures as well.

Cheers
Andy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 03:33 AM UTC
Ola Mats
Thanks for yiour feedback And indeed they are nice figures. That was what immediately struck me when I saw the set for the first time. Now I finally can make something out of them.

@ Andy
Cool I'm really looking forward to your results with this kit. And thanks for the feedback on the Jeeps. I kind of found out that the set was made for the Tamiya Jeep but as far as I can figure out it really needs some help getting all those guys in it. Aside from that putting all the parts of the figures together was a puzzle in it's own which after quite a while I managed to put together every figure only to find out I am missing arms for three. Which luckily after contacting Legend I get send to me.
When I examined and put together the two guys holding each other in the back I noticed that they both sit quite high. The guy on the left without the headwear has the indentation of the sparewheel in his pants so at least he is leaning on that which leaves the other figure in kind of a weird position leaning backwards on nothing.
There is another thing that puzzles me and maybe you have an answer. In the set is what looks like a seatcushion. But for the live of me I cannot think of where that one should be placed. The Tamiya Jeeps cushions seems to do their work perfectly.

That said. as soon as I have the arms in I will start assembling the rest of the figures. It is an awesome looking set. Still have to do some research on clothing colors as this is pretty much the first set of American Aviators that I paint. Know nothing about colors and I certainly have no knowledge of patches and such.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hi Robert,

my set had some duplicate arms....or something. I need to go do a parts check again.

next chance I get I will assemble a base Taymia kit and to some test fitting, take some pictures and post them here. Maybe we can have the moderators turn this thread into a Build Log and we can both post our progress (and fusteration!) in the same thread...

we can both encourage each other....that is a lot of figures to paint!

Cheers
Andy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 09:55 AM UTC
Ola Andy

Well maybe you have the arms missing from my set
But that doesn't matter. The guy that mailed me back from Legend was very nice and said he wanted my address so he could quickly send the missing parts. Which was really a good piece of service.

The Jeep I'm using already got assembled a long time ago for another project that got forgotten eventually. And a few of the easier figures were already glued together. Some of the figures really have monumental castingblocks So I'm foreseeing some constructive surgery on some of them. Which Magic Sculpt will be a great help with.
Also not having any built instructions caused some confusion with the figures. It was not untill I saw a built here from another guy that I knew where the 10th figure should be. Also the set is missing a dog.

I like the idea of having a duo built out of this. t is a good way to encourage each other indeed. It are certainly the most figures I cramped in such a small place.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
I recently bought the Italeri jeep and trailer kit, mostly for the trailer. I compared the Italeri jeep to the newer Tamiya jeep and they are almost identical in dimensions, although I can't comment on Italeri's fit yet. If Italeri's fit is good it would be as good a looking model as the Tamiya, and I am embarassed to say, possibly better than the Cyber Hobby jeep, what with the grill and wheel rim issues.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 12:31 AM UTC
Ola Biggles
Thanks for checking out the dimensions. So it should not make much difference then. I'm going for the Tamiya Jeep and whereever the figures don't fit Magic Sculp will come to the rescue.
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
Armorama: 77 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 08:19 PM UTC
I had no problems fitting this crew to the Tamiya jeep. Creases in the rearmost sitting figure, line up with the spare tire treads, figure next to him is sitting on 2 gear boxes from the spares pile, with his right hand on the shoulder of pass. seat figure. Creases on the seated firewall figure line up with the passenger seat figure, who is sitting on packs. Left rear fender figure is sitting on gear and pack. Standing figure was replaced with the Hornet bomber crewman, the stock standing figure will be turned into a photographer. Dog will be replaced with a scottish terrier. Each figure was pinned for strength, and easier final assembly/paint. The toughest part was removing the casting blocks... pictures are available on my member page...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dog will be replaced with a scottish terrier.

This Scottie was called Stuka. Here is she with her owner Captain James Verinis, co-pilot of the Memphis Belle :

Sorry for the digression...

Frenchy (proud Scottie owner )
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2012 - 10:53 PM UTC
I would'nt add the arms until most of the figures are properly positioned, drivers right hand should be grasping the steering wheel and the left arm resting partly on left rear fender ledge. The forward rear figures right hand is resting on the front passenger seat figures shoulders, shift lever fits into indentation on the drivers right leg, firewall seated figures left leg partially rest on the passenger figures left leg, his butt on the firewall bonnet. Left rear figures right knee rest in the indentation of the right rearmost figures knee. Get some packs and gear boxes from your spares and fill the empty spaces where the feet, butt, etc. rests. I used some verlinden packs, a medic box, a gun in a scabbard and an attache case. Also two gear boxes for the 2 connected rear figures, a radio might work but i didnt try it, maybe some ammo boxes might work too... Good luck...
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC
Does anybody know if there's a 1/35 scale scottish terrier out there? Resin, plastic, or metal?? Or will I have to scratchbuild one?? Thinking of using the Legend Patton bulldog as a base for sculpting... Frenchy you're a scottish terrier freak, you must know of something out there. If you don't know, who does, haha..
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 - 06:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anybody know if there's a 1/35 scale scottish terrier out there? Resin, plastic, or metal?? Or will I have to scratchbuild one?? Thinking of using the Legend Patton bulldog as a base for sculpting... Frenchy you're a scottish terrier freak, you must know of something out there. If you don't know, who does, haha..

I'm afraid scratchbuilding Stuka is the only way to go. Using a Bull terrier as a base would make her look she's on steroids

Maybe you could use the little crouching dog included in Mantis Miniature set #35012 ?

You'll just have to change her ears

Frenchy
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There's a little dog in one of the Tamiya accessory sets that would be just about the right size. Just add longer hair to it.

duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:10 AM UTC
Frenchy, thanks for the tip on that Mantis kit, first time I've seen that one. 18 bravo, yes i considered the Tamiya dog, was actually gonna use it until I ran into a little dog that came with a Dragon kubelwagon crew, ears are propped up a bit and is a little skinny, I would have to bulk it up a little bit and add fur. In the meantime i am converting the stock standing figure into a photographer, and converting a Warriors figure into a cameraman, i might also add a female figure from the Bronco "allied female soldiers kit to round out this particular diorama. I should have WIP pics soon...
duckdawgs
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:41 AM UTC
Frenchy, just checked out that Mantis kit you suggested, pretty cool, but Mantis 1/35 animals set 11 #35043 has a Scottish terrier lying down, a black one... think i done found mah solution...
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Frenchy, just checked out that Mantis kit you suggested, pretty cool, but Mantis 1/35 animals set 11 #35043 has a Scottish terrier lying down, a black one...

Looks like I've missed this one

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP