Hosted by Darren Baker
correct leopard 1a4
timeslip
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:31 PM UTC
Doing a bit of kit bashing. Who makes the better lower hull and running gear of a Leopard 1A4 Tamiya or Revell/Italeri in 1/35 scale?
kampfy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Doing a bit of kit bashing. Who makes the better lower hull and running gear of a Leopard 1A4 Tamiya or Revell/Italeri in 1/35 scale?

I don't know about the lower hull but, neither kit gives you 100% accurate road wheels. On the Tamiya kit they are too small while Italeri has these weird grooves on the rubber and the bolts are too small. If pressed though I would go with Italeri's, though there are plenty of aftermarket road wheel sets.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 04:03 PM UTC
I have built Leopards using both the Italeri and Tamiya kits.

I would stick with the Italeri/Revell suspension and it is a simple fix with the road wheels to attach them to a Dremel tool on LOW speed and sand them down to remove the grooves.

For aftermarket road wheels go with Accurate Armour or Mouse House Enterprises if you want to go that route.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 10:21 PM UTC
The Italeri kit is better in almost every respect (except the wheels and those stiff tracks) so avoid the Tamiya one. Tamiya simplified the details and mangled the hull dimensions for rug-running motorisation.

Watch out with the axles on the Italeri one - they can be snapped by the over-stiff tracks because they are only thin plastic. Reinforce them or at least "pre-curve" the tracks to ease the tension...

Tom
timeslip
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 09:09 AM UTC
Awesome. Thanks for the advise.
aussiemodeler
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 10:22 AM UTC
not mny are aware that the italeri lower turret rear is incorrect. the tamiya lower turret rear is correct.
HermannB
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 4,099 posts
Armorama: 4,067 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 06:44 PM UTC
Perfect Scale Models has a set with corrected roadwheels

http://www.perfect-scale.de/product_info.php?language=en&gm_boosted_product=Leopard-1-Spann---Trieb--und-Laufrollen&Raeder-und-Ketten-1---35=Leopard-1-Spann---Trieb--und-Laufrollen.html&products_id=42&

Hans-Hermann
timeslip
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 06:27 AM UTC
Just got in my wheels in from Accurate Armour. What a waist of money, every one is out of round. All that I can see different is the cuts have been removed from the outer wheel. AVIOD this set. Just going to sand them off myself. Dremel here I come.
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Armorama: 4,817 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Just got in my wheels in from Accurate Armour. What a waist of money, every one is out of round. All that I can see different is the cuts have been removed from the outer wheel. AVIOD this set. Just going to sand them off myself. Dremel here I come.

You should contact Accurate Armour, they are known to have excellent customer service.
gcdavidson
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Armorama: 1,563 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 09:30 AM UTC
or you could wait a couple years and take your chances that someone will release a new tool Leopard 1.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 12:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

You should contact Accurate Armour, they are known to have excellent customer service.

I agree...contact Accurate Armour with your issue and they should deal with it very quickly. I have used the AA road wheel set a few times and never had an issues with non-round wheels. They might not even know about the problem.

timeslip
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC
Thanks for the tip. Email sent. In the mean time, it's putty time.
 _GOTOTOP