_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help - 2LI Recce Plt CVR(T), Bosnia '95-6
FutureNostalgic
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 - 07:12 AM UTC
Hello all,

I'm in the process of building a couple of AFV Club CVR(T) Scimitars, which I intend modelling as vehicles of the 2LI recce platoon, Bosnia circa 1995-6, but I'm really struggling with vehicle identification and was wondering if anyone here could help me out with a bit of information.

The first Scimitar will (hopefully) end up as 06 FD 20 (callsign 21), the vehicle of Capt Ian McGregor, recce platoon commander - for this I'm working with photo references from Europa Militaria No. 22 IFOR and a photo in Ben Barry's book "A Cold War."

I think I'm mostly OK with this vehicle apart from the tac markings - the IFOR book shows a small rectangular decal/marking below the front numberplate (white background with "21" in black numerals), and the photo in Ben Barry's book shows the same (I think) vehicle from the rear (at the Sanski Most "Mud Factory") where there appears to be a white rectangle with white "21" numerals on the bottom right of the rear turret stowage box. The problem is that this second photo is a bit small and difficult to make out, the Bosnian mud all over the back of the Scimitar ain't helping much either. So, my first question:

Am I right about the rear tac marking on 06 FD 20, and if I'm incorrect, can anyone suggest what the correct tac marking is?

My second question is, I hope, a little more straightforward, namely, could some kind soul please give me some suggestions for the identity of my second Scimitar, what numberplates and tac markings it should carry and where the tac markings should be located?

I've been researching 2LI Warrior MCV's as well and think I've just about got the various tac marking and vehicle callsign numbers sorted out, but those of the recce platoon Scimitars have me completely mystified - there doesn't appear to be many (any?) photos of these vehicles online.

The things (I think) I know are:

(1) 2LI recce platoon consisted of eight CVR(T) Scimitars during the Bosnian deployment, organised (if the chart on page 4 of Europa Militaria No 25 "Warrior Company" is correct) as 2 Scimitars as platoon HQ plus three sections, each with two Scimitars.

The few photos of other units I've managed to find list callsigns of 21, 22, 24, 31 and 33, so a supplementary question is, is there a common callsign numbering system for recce platoons in all regiments and if so, what is it? There appears to be a common callsign system in the same way with attached Warrior recovery vehicles, which is what got me wondering about this point.

(2) Capt McGregor's vehicle carries "21," so presumably his 2/ic's vehicle is "22"?

Any and all information, pics, etc. will be very gratefully received.

Sam
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Callsigns are normally the same within regiments.

Callsigns 1 would be 'A' Squadron, 2 'B' Sqn, 3 'C' Sqn. etc.

His callsign of 21 indicates > B. Sqn. 1 Troop leader. and his 2i/c would be 21A. The troop Cpl and L/Cpl being 21B and 21C. (a four vehicle troop).

depending on how many troops within the Sqn they would follow on with prefix Callsigns 2, 3 and 4 etc....

This is changeable depending on makeup of the Sqn. and troop size.

Hope that helps.

Keith.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 07:44 AM UTC
Not quite Keith - the British callsign system changed drastically in the 80's to standardise callsigns across all unit and subunits. While what you say is true (in that A Coy would be 10, B Coy 20 etc) the same system applies to the Support Groups and RHQs. A (daily changing) callsign indicator is used to distinguish between similar c/s on the same net, eg. 21 the RSO and 21 the Recce Tp Ldr.

Thus in an Infantry Battalion Support Group, callsigns are as follows:
10 series - Mortar Pln
20 series - Recce Tp/Pln
30 series - ATGW Pln
40 series - Aslt Pnrs

Within Recce Pln (or an Armd Regt Recce Tp) the c/s are listed as follows:
20 Recce Tp/Pln HQ
20A Pln/Tp Comdr
21 Recce Tp/Pln Ldr
21A Recce Veh
22 Tp/Pln Sgt
22A Recce Veh
23 Tp/Pln Sgt
23A Recce Veh
24 Tp/Pln Cpl
24A Recce Veh

Info courtesy of Dick Taylors Warpaint Vol 2 and my own memory.

So Sam, 21 makes perfect sense. And if it's on the front, chances are it's going to be on the back too.

Cheers,
Ken

PS. The pics you mentioned of other units having c/s of 31 etc suggest that they're vehicles from an Armoured Recce Sqn, not Recce Pln or Tp.

PPS. I can thoroughly recommend Dick Taylors Warpaint series of books. There's a world of useful info in them.
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2012 - 11:37 PM UTC
Many thanks for the update mate, I hope we have'nt baffled him completely

Keith.
Dutchy3RTR
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 337 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2012 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hehe, I've just reread my reply and yes, it is all a bit confusing, isn't it.

Sam - if you want/need any clarification just yell...
 _GOTOTOP