_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Filming Soviet Propaganda
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 05:52 AM UTC
Hello all,

I have been wanting to build this diorama for awhile now, and I finally started work on it. It is to replicate a propaganda video shoot. Soviet anti-tank troops run past a knocked out tank while being filmed. I initially planned to have some Russian officers observing the filming, but I am no longer sure if I want to use the Mini Art figures as they are much smaller than the DML and the Bravo*6 figures.

The Panzer IV itself is an Academy kit that I have tried to modify by replacing the armor skirt, and other small details. I hope the battle damage I have put on it is realistic enough and I hope I will be able to weather it properly.

The Panzer IV so far:

My initial plan but smaller, I was planning to have it slightly larger, but it is obvious that the Mini Art is smaller (the sitting figures).

This is what I am leaning towards right now:

Thanks' for looking, any advice and criticism is welcomed.
Regards,
garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
Looking good so far, sounds like an interesting idea.
Let us see more as it comes along.
Regards,
Garth
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Hi Vlad,

Looking like it is coming along nicely & am prety sure I know the photo you are talking about. In relation to the differnet figure size a few of the guys at my local IPMS were discussing it. Now we all & i mean the whole modeling world try & make our models, dioramas look as real as possible.

So my question is why do we the modeling guys not model the figures in "real life". Now I am 5ft 2 not avergae size for a guy but i am real, we have guys 6ft, 5ft 8,6ft 3 etc etc. some are skinny, some are round,some are solid build. If you went of average of most guys sat 5ft 9, then you could still add a shorter & taller figure or two??

Just (MHO) & take on things, plus (IMHO) slighty different sized guys together add a little varation, just like when we add hills & dips & gullies in dioramas for effect & realism.

Keep up the great work, will be watching.

Cheers Mike
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

slighty different sized guys together add a little varation,

Just don't push it too far

Frenchy
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 11:04 PM UTC
Frenchy my friend I like your sense of humor!!

Lol but I'm not quite that short!!

But yes that proves my point exactlly

Cheers Mike
VLADPANZER
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 549 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 07:34 AM UTC
@ Garth: Thanks’, I hope to get some work done during the next few days.

@Mike: Thanks’ for the advice, I agree that having a few varieties in size would actually be more accurate. But if the three figures that are standing are of the same height and the three figures that are sitting are of a different height … it just feels awkward. So I have decided to look for more Soviet officers sitting down, that way I would have a variety of sizes and heights between the sitting figures.

@ Frenchy: Those are some interesting and humorous pictures, specially the first one … would be a great little vignette.

Will be painting the base coat on my panzer tomorrow, not sure of the camouflage scheme just yet or what division it should be in. I have also started painting the two running figures, I hope to finish the uniform and equipment soon. Pictures to follow soon …

Thanks’ for the advice once again.
Regards,
 _GOTOTOP