ID this truck
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 08:39 AM UTC
Ola People

Last week this picture came in for the collection but I am not able to ID the truck pulling the PAK 36. At first I thought it was a lend Lease Dodge. And the Bedford MW is also a contender as it is known that several versions found their way into the wehrmacht. But I am not sure. Is there anybdy who can ID this truck first glance? I really would appreciate it.

With friendly greetz

Robert
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
Interesting find Robert It seems there's a spare wheel fitted to the side and I've noticed the "IS" letters on the licence plate (Province of Hannover) along with the WH marking on the right. Could it be a ex-civilian truck ?

Frenchy

barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 09:46 AM UTC
Could it be something less exotic? I'm thinking Krupp Protze with some cargo-bed mods. That's based on the spare wheel, odd hood slope, and the raised rear wheel arches in the cargo bed...

Tom
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
@ Frenchi
Yes and that was the reason I bought the picture for my PAK 36 collection. Indeed the WH marking could indicate it is a Civillian vehicle pressed into service. And the Licenseplate seems to back it up. Which makes it pretty unlikely it is a Krupp protze as a really small amount ended up in civilian hands.

@ Tom
If it was a Protze it would have meant they made a completely new cargobed and there is no mudguard/crew protector above the spare wheel that every protze has. Otherwise the poor soul sitting against it would be in for a nasty surprise when the vehicle went over a bump with that wheel. Checked the raised portions in the back with a magnifying glass and they appear to be crates or storage boxes. I have numerous pics of the Krupp Protze in both the variants (Pak and cargo) towing the gun but they don't seem to match up with this vehicle
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 07:42 PM UTC
I know it's a bit far-fetched, but could it be a Horch-based light truck ? The wheel hubs resemble those of the Horch 830...

Another conversion :

Frenchy
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:30 PM UTC
Just a suggestion... sidewalls of the cargo bed look about right.

casper
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 395 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 11:25 PM UTC

Judging by the spare wheel and drive wheel hubs/flanges and the tyre dia it seems to be a Wanderer with modified bodywork.
The Wanderer W11 had a pintle hook for towing light artillery (37mm AT).
Son-of-a-Gun
Visit this Community
Hamburg, Germany
KitMaker: 18 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2012 - 02:15 AM UTC
Hi Robert!

Just from looking at the picutre I would say it's a Steyr 640. As far as I can remember there is a resin kit from Plus Model.

Best regards from Hamburg
Son of a Gun
chrisgrove
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 08:41 AM UTC
Doesn't look like a six wheeler to me - and the Steyr 640 has always looked much narrower than that to me. Sorry - that doesn't help much!

Chris
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 09:05 AM UTC
The rear mudguards look like they are coming straight down from the cargo deck,at an angle, rather than being round and following the curve of the wheel.
The spare wheel is unprotected, and seems to sit somewhat proud from the body work, but still in line with the loading space body work.
The tailgate has an odd crescent shape cut out in it..

The civilian no plate has to be significant, it has to be a civilian truck, pressed into military services.

Robert, any indication of the year this picture was taken?
Mfg
Henk
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 06:05 AM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for thinking along with me.. It really is a puzzler I have a lot of pictures of the Pak36 and a fair amount of them are with vehicles and I have not found a single one in my pictures that matches this truck.

@ Frenchi
Far fetched as it might seem. It indeed seems to match the wheelhubs and even the front fender just visible in front of the sparewheel seems to be fitting. However. Again if it is this truck they did some big rebuilding of the truckbed and fenders on the back.

@ Matthew
I'll have to do some research into that type of Adler. The pic is not clear enough to determine if the truckbed is similar but the quick search I did make it look like a contender as well.

@ Roger
I have several pics of wanderer kubels towing the Pak36 and they are close but not really close if you get what I mean.

@ Lars and Chris
I'm not convinced it is a Steyr 640 either and I'm convinced as well it is a 2 axle truck since there is wash from only 1 wheel visible under the cargobed. It was the width that at first ade me think it could be a lend lease Dodge but that doesn't explain how it got a civilian licenseplate.

@ Henk
Sadly this is one of the pictures in my collection that is not written on the back. (Zal je net zien ) so yeah that makes dating this pic very hard. You pretty much summed up what I think about this pic as well and it is a strange vehicle. Actually Cliff (MrRoo) had quite a good theory about the crescent shape cutout at the back. With it being a modification by the crew to get in and out easier when the gun is attached to the vehicle.
I know there are lists of numberplates online and which vehicles they belong to as far as can be determined maybe I can find a hint there.

the search goes on.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 07:51 AM UTC
Not sure if you saw these already.. . the colour museum photo at least has the mudguards as Henk described them.

http://www.trucksplanet.com/catalog/model.php?id=366
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 - 08:26 AM UTC
Here's another view of the Adler W61 at the National Military History Center (Auburn, Indiana):

A few more here

HTH

Frenchy
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 08:00 AM UTC
Again it is close. But it doesn't have the sparewheel on the left and the truckbed somehow seems much too large for the vehicle in my picture. Not in height but in width and depth.
 _GOTOTOP