USMC Color for Vietnam?
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,209 posts
Armorama: 1,143 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi,
I'm building the new Bronco 1/35th M114A1 as used in Vietnam & wanted to place it at Khe Sanh during the siege.
I'd like to pick your brains as to the best color I could use for this for this.
Generally, I use Vallejo but if you think a better match could be found by using other paint manufacturers then I'd love to hear it.

Also, would the Marines have used the yellow USMC stencil for markings on the piece like the Army did?

Thanks for your help.

Joe.
sdk10159
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 556 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 10:28 AM UTC
Joe,

I always thought that Tamiya Olive Green, XF-58, was a good match for USMC in Viet Nam. You can fade it somewhat with a little Khaki or Dark Yellow.

As for the markings, I believe that they used yellow.

Steve
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, April 06, 2012 - 05:41 PM UTC
Hi Steve,
Thanks for getting back to me.
As I understand it, there was a difference between the olive drab used by the US Army in Vietnam as compared to the US Army in WWII; ie. the olive drab was "greener" in Vietnam (no pun intended).
Now I'm also led to believe that the USMC vehicle coloring was different to the US Army, but by how much? What was the difference?

As for the markings; I know that they were yellow but my question is this: would the M114A1 155mm Howitzer be stamped with the yellow USMC stencil anywhere on it? Mabye the barrel or gun shield or somewhere else.
I've seen period photos of the M114A1 used by the Army in Vietnam with the white US Army stencil painted on but I haven't seen any photographic evidence yet of the Marines following suit.
Period photos also show the USMC M48A1 medium tank with yellow USMC stencilling (so I know they used it somewhere) but I'm wondering whether they used the stencil on all their equipment.
I hope I'm making sense!

Joe.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC
From what I have seen, the green was the same for the US Army and USMC at that time. I would use Testors Model Master Dark Green to represent the darker green of the time.

Quoted Text

As for the markings; I know that they were yellow but my question is this: would the M114A1 155mm Howitzer be stamped with the yellow USMC stencil anywhere on it? Mabye the barrel or gun shield or somewhere else.

It would probably have the yellow USMC and a serial number on the trails or the upper recuperator tube; definitely not on the barrel. The barrel should be unpainted steel since it was part of the recoil system.

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 04:07 AM UTC
Joe,

Note the difference in the barrel on the howitzer in the picture. This is what you want for Vietnam; no matter who used it (Marines, Army, Nungs, SVN)
gary
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hello again you two!
Nice to hear from you both!
Gino, I meant the recuperator tube & not the barrel. I just said the barrel because I didn't know the name of the recuperator tube. But now I do, eh!!!
As for the barrel-I know the Vietnam version shouldn't have that groove at the end so I got the metal barrel from Bronco which is for the WWII 155mm Howitzer-you know, the one without the groove at the end!

Another question while I have the ear of you two vets: How many guys in the 155mm crew? I think I read somewhere that it was 11. But I've never seen that many guys crewing this weapon in period photos in Vietnam! Fill me in guys.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Joe.
trickymissfit
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 11:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello again you two!
Nice to hear from you both!
Gino, I meant the recuperator tube & not the barrel. I just said the barrel because I didn't know the name of the recuperator tube. But now I do, eh!!!
As for the barrel-I know the Vietnam version shouldn't have that groove at the end so I got the metal barrel from Bronco which is for the WWII 155mm Howitzer-you know, the one without the groove at the end!

without getting into something I want to avoid, let me say this in three basic parts:

1. this would be gun three on LZ gator in January 1968. There were eight men on that tube when I arrived a month before The two of us made nine men (I was in the learning curve). Of the eight men, one was always on guard duty somewhere, so you really had seven men all the time. But that crew didn't have a "section chief"! Unusual I know, but not all that uncommon.
the crew consisted of:
1. gunner (thats the guy setting on the trail, and also the normal position unless your seven feet tall)
2. the assistent gunner or more commonly refered to as the "AG". He the guy that fired the thing and opened the breach
3. loader
4. telephone guy (we didn't use radios on guns)
5. the guy with the swab and rammer staff
6. somebody to handle powder and set fuses
7. would normally be the section chief, but like I said we didn't have one. He'd just kinda fill in where he was needed the most.

2. this would be gun one in the Que Son valley at numerous garden spots. This crew started out with seven men total, but got down to five due to WIA's. Same jobs, but you just did some more stuff. We did get down to four men out on the Lao border for about 24 hours, but they brought a couple newbies out from the replacement depot
3A. This is also gun one, but out at Thien Phouc (A102). Seven men it was, but two were short. No guard there as the local CIDG's did it. We had a section chief who was very short. Got down to five and whoever the first sargent was mad at. Same basic duties

3B. Pig is CBL'd. Crew is down to two and a guy limping. Didn't matter much as there was no gun anyway.

3C. another howitzer is flown out, but is declared junk. Same crew size anyway, so we can't shoot much

3D. a nearly new gun is flown over from the states in about 48 hours. First sargent goes back to Chu lai and cleans out the transit hooch. Brings back three guys, but soon loose one. Start functioning with four men. Commo guy has to help with the rammer staff. Top makes a return trip and gets two guys from Chu lai replacement depot that are slated to be infantrymen. We got four men and two guys doing OJT. We loose two more to ETSing. Sargent Major finds another guy for us. We shoot with five men till I go home. Never got more than the five as the WIA's and worse took their toll on replacements. At one time or another we were down to three men. Usually the first sargent would show up to help us get thru fire missions (sometimes he drag along an LT he caught standing around).

So basicly you can make your crew anywhere from eight to five guys. Four is getting pretty light, and with three men your not really fit for combat.

Remember there are only three guys between the trails except for the swab and rammer staff guy, and he gets outta there as the breach is closing (saftey issue), The telephone guy will be way back to the rear of the gun, but normally never to the side. Section chief will be right behind the gunner and very close to the loader, but still outside of the trails.
gary

Another question while I have the ear of you two vets: How many guys in the 155mm crew? I think I read somewhere that it was 11. But I've never seen that many guys crewing this weapon in period photos in Vietnam! Fill me in guys.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Joe.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 12:45 PM UTC
I think I am saying basically the same thing as Gary...

By the MTO&E (Army manning document) an M114A1 towed howitzer has a crew of 11.

Quoted Text

(1) OPERATOR: MOS 13B.

(A) CREW SIZE/MOS:

POSITION GRADE MOS STRENGTH
-------- ----- --- --------
HOWITZER SECTION CH E6 13B30 1
AMMO TEAM CH E5 13B20 1
GUNNER E5 13B20 1
ASST GUNNER E4 13B10 1
CANNONEER E4 13B10 3
PRIME MOVER DRIVER E4 13B10 1
CANNONEER E3 13B10 3

Most crews were manned at 8, eliminating 3 cannoneers who also double as ammo crewmen and/or the driver. You can operate with as few as 5 in a pinch, but it makes it rough.

joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, April 07, 2012 - 08:06 PM UTC
Okay, thanks for that fellas.
I've been putting a few figures together & that's roughly what I've got.
I always thought the guy on the telephone was in charge. Shows how much I know! I also thought he would be using a prick 25/77. Is this not the case? And who is on the other end? And would he have a map of the surrounding terrain/AO?
I was also going to place him outside of the trails but thanks for the advice on the crew situation. Much better to have a realistic looking crew, isn't it?

Another question: The kit comes with ammo & other bits & pieces (Gino, you've reviewed the kit so you know what's in there) so can you guys talk me through the loading sequence?
Obviously, the round is placed in the barrel first. But then what? And what kit parts relate to this sequence?
Also, what other equipment would be around the firing position? For instance, a metal bucket with water to swab out the barrel, etc? What does the swab look like?
Any little details you can remember! I like the little details as they make the whole scene far more realistic!
Thanks again.

Joe.
trickymissfit
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 07:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think I am saying basically the same thing as Gary...

By the MTO&E (Army manning document) an M114A1 towed howitzer has a crew of 11.

Quoted Text

(1) OPERATOR: MOS 13B.

(A) CREW SIZE/MOS:

POSITION GRADE MOS STRENGTH
-------- ----- --- --------
HOWITZER SECTION CH E6 13B30 1
AMMO TEAM CH E5 13B20 1
GUNNER E5 13B20 1
ASST GUNNER E4 13B10 1
CANNONEER E4 13B10 3
PRIME MOVER DRIVER E4 13B10 1
CANNONEER E3 13B10 3

Most crews were manned at 8, eliminating 3 cannoneers who also double as ammo crewmen and/or the driver. You can operate with as few as 5 in a pinch, but it makes it rough.

I don't know how they did it stateside, but each battery was taxed for personell. You lost a certain amount of men to build what was called a service battery. This battery didn't have any guns, but was tasked with all the ammo supply and other things back in the rear. Every section lost a couple guys to that alone (remember you gotta have ammo, food, and fuel to operate). Always looked to me like the Headquarters Battery could have done this same job, but it didn't happen. Then out in the bush they took another man from each section and built an ammo resupply crew out of them. You had to have them no matter what. That's why we operated at a much lower strength on the guns themselves. But when they had to call out a piece due to lack of man power, they'd find folks pretty fast back in the rear to get you going again.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2012 - 08:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, thanks for that fellas.
I've been putting a few figures together & that's roughly what I've got.
I always thought the guy on the telephone was in charge. Shows how much I know! I also thought he would be using a prick 25/77. Is this not the case? And who is on the other end? And would he have a map of the surrounding terrain/AO?
I was also going to place him outside of the trails but thanks for the advice on the crew situation. Much better to have a realistic looking crew, isn't it?

Another question: The kit comes with ammo & other bits & pieces (Gino, you've reviewed the kit so you know what's in there) so can you guys talk me through the loading sequence?
Obviously, the round is placed in the barrel first. But then what? And what kit parts relate to this sequence?
Also, what other equipment would be around the firing position? For instance, a metal bucket with water to swab out the barrel, etc? What does the swab look like?
Any little details you can remember! I like the little details as they make the whole scene far more realistic!
Thanks again.

Joe.

the main reason you always used a field telephone was that the radios operated on the fire push, and you want the least amount of radio traffic possible on it. This is what you use to act as a go between with you and the FO or infantry platoon. Even air strikes came off the fire push. Can you imagine ratteling off co-ordantents with six guns chattering and trying to talk with a FAC? Also they ran on batteries and all you need is a dead battery during a contact fir mission.

I can't tell you about everybody out there, but here's what we did. (note: this will be at a base camp setting with true parapits and bunkers)

1. one guy takes care of all the projectiles and powder & fuses. If oyu shoot a lot over the night the others will help him out.
2. the AG takes care of the primers, cleans the breach, and makes sure it's all proper
3. gunner might clean the scope, but that's about it. He will often help resupply ammo (rank has no privledges)
4. The others will also help out where needed except for the section chief

now lets shoot the beast! I'll take you thru a typical fire mission, and try to explain why this is done the way it was.

* phone rings and we got a "battery adjust". They will call out an azmuth. The gunner would hop on the trails while a couple guys would shift the whole gun to where he said to. The loader (lets say it me)will be told what we are going to shoot and wether or not it uses a timed fuse. Lets say it's a one round zone sweep (we shot lots and lots of them). That means he will need nine rounds. The next thing he's told is the charge of powder. We shot a charge seven 75% of the time, so we'll go that way. I'll ask if it's contact, or just a regular mission. If it's contact, I grab rounds from a select lot. The same with the powder. If the charge is less than a seven we will now cut the powder charge to lets say a charge three. Rounds selected usually will be fused up already unless we want a timed fuse. I lay the rounds next to the inside of the left trail (gunner's side), but the powder stays outside the trail. While I bring the rounds over (by now I have help) the section chief or AG or whoever is close by will set the time fuse if needed. Normally the chief will hand me the powder, and he also can verify the charge (never saw one do it).

We're ready to shoot the thing. An actual deflection comes down, and I set the round in the breach. The AG has the firing lock in his hand with a primer in it. The quadrant comes down, and I grab the big end of the rammer staff to sorta guide it onto the base of the round. Together we seat the round in the rifeling of the barrel. As soon as I hear the thunk of the round hitting home I turn and grab the powder, and put it in the breach. The AG closes the breach and looks strait at me to see where my hands are. When he sees my hands plugging my ears he pulls the lanyard. I then will grab the next round standing beside me and get ready to load it. The phone guy will give the next set of numbers to the gunner (nobody else speaks by the way). I load the round and powder, and here we go again. As soon as the breach is in full recoil the guy with the swab will follow it back into battery while the AG is opening the breach. He swabs out the breach and swipes the mushrum head on the breach door. The AG is changing primers while I load the next round and powder. He slams the breach closed, and looks into my face. Just before pulling the lanyard and confirming I'm ready he'll glance at the gunner to see if his right hand is raised. If it so he fires the gun. On a good 155 towed of that era, a crew will yell bore clear before the third round hits when firing a charge seven at max ranges (about 90 seconds). The whole process from the phone call to the bore clear yell takes about five to six minutes when doing a zone sweep. If you get a four or five round zone sweep we change loaders after about forty rounds for saftey reasons alone.

If you shooting time fuses you have to take a few seconds to adjust the time settings. WP must be handled more carefully so you can't just toss the round in to the breach (same for Illumination rounds).

H&I's were another story. Sometimes you shot two dozen and that was it, but most of the time it was around three hundred rounds from about nine in the evening till dawn. We all rotated jobs, but speed wasn't a needed thing. We even took a couple coffee breaks! We always took the rounds out of the back of a truck (always knew how many targets were to be shot before hand). The guy on the swab and another guy would handle the rounds off the truck and fuse them up as needed (usually about a dozen at a time). really heavy nights would often get you help from others not on the crew (first sargent would round up folks to help). If you got down to five guys or less they would gtrab anybody they could to help shoot. The place would look like a trash dump in the morning with pallots and powder cans everywhere. We seldom shot charges less than a seven white bag or five green bag unless were starting out. Then we often shot charge ones at the ridge line (mostly for ammusment). So there would be a truck load of powder cannisters and lots and lots of trash everywhere.

On very heavy contact missions that lasted awhile it wasn't uncommon for everybody in the battery to be down there giving a helping hand (first sargent called it "cross training"). I was involved in one once that used an infantry platoon to help hump ammo and powder (another platoon was cut off and surrounded). I've seen Majors hump ammo just like a PFC, and as I said rank has no priviledge when you got work to do.

Your doing Marines at Khe Shan, and they probably wore flak jackets. It was cold and wet up there, so they'll have long sleeves. As a rule a flak jacket and a howitzer is never done much, but they were really doing alot of counter battery fire, so they were a must. We often shot in combat boots and underwear (if we had any). Specially if it was raining. Americal had an SOP that you had to wear steel pots while shooting, and Marines were part of the Americal. I would assume they shot from parapits as they'd been up there awhile. Imagine they were shooting a lot of green bag powder as the neighbors were right ontop of them. Tough A.O.!

Lastly there is a regular swab, but it won't last all that long. We had a sand bag wrapped about the shaft with a bucket of water. The trick was to have the swap wet, but not dripping. The fumes would turn your stomach!! The rammer staff was about six feet long normally, unless you were shooting "high angle fire". Then it would be about three feet long or even less. 155's don't do a lot of high angle so don't worry much about it.
gary
Beast
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:00 AM UTC
The proper green for Marine units in vietnam would be Forest Green FS #24052 which was a semi-gloss with yellow markings. Here is a list of colors used by the US over the years;

AJP SEMI-GLOSS, Late 1944 thru 1957
A true O.D., AJP had this color matched from
early NOS parts. Most representative of what a jeep
was painted.This is our most popular color.
Late 44' thru 45' MB's
M38, M38A1, M170, M-37
Plus all Korean equipment

319 WWII, LUSTERLESS / FLAT 1941-1944
Light O.D.
MB

24087 SEMI-GLOSS, 1957 to present
Dark O.D. The last color used before
camo patterns started.
M151, M151A1, M151A2s

24052 SEMI-GLOSS, Korea to Vietnam
Forest Green, Marine Corps. shade of green
M38, M38A1, M151
Plus all M-series U.S.M.C. equipment

30277 Lusterless Desert Sandust
1970 to present.

33070 WWII Lusterless
1941-1945 typical Ford color.

34052 WWII USMC Lusterless Forrest Green

34079Lusterless Forrest Green
1970 to present.

34094 Lusterless CARC Green Substitute.
1983 to present.
M151A2s primarily
Hummers
M-35's etc.

30051 Lusterless CARC Brown Substitute
1983 to present Vehicle application is the same as CARC Green

#24052 is the same as #34052 as far as color, the difference is that #24 series paints are semi-gloss where #34 series paints are flat finish.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hi fellas,
Thanks for this wealth of information.
Gino, I was going to model the radio operator with a map of the AO. Would this be a correct thing to do?

Dave, thanks for the color guide! Some very interesting stuff there. Are you able to transfer that knowledge into a type of paint to use? Sometime ago, I was told that the Tamiya acrylic color for the JGSDF was the right color to use but I cant remember if that was for the army or marines. There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information out there.

Thanks guys.

Joe.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 11:01 PM UTC
No, the RTO would not have a map. He would have a ROF (Record of Fire) sheet on a clipboard. He is not receiving any coordinates that you could translate to a map. He is getting firing data; shell/fuze combo, azimuth of fire, and quadrant of elevation. He records this on a sheet to keep track of what they fired when, how many rounds, etc..
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 11:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometime ago, I was told that the Tamiya acrylic color for the JGSDF was the right color to use but I cant remember if that was for the army or marines. There seems to be quite a lot of conflicting information out there.

HI Joe

IIRC, US Army = Tamiya XF-74, USMC = Tamiya XF-61 (for Vietnam )

HTH

Frenchy
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hi fellas,
Thanks for the info guys.
Frenchy, thanks for the paint reference, I'm now on the case with that!
Gino, is this Record of Fire sheet on a regular size clipboard? Is it an official form? Would the form be printed & then the RTO guy fill in the boxes, for instance?
Thanks for your replies.

Joe.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 12:50 AM UTC
Hi fellas,
Thanks for the info guys.

Frenchy, thanks for the paint reference, I'm now on the case with that!
Above, Dave mentions that the color was semi gloss. Forgive my ignorance here but I'm very very new to model painting, but how do I change the Tamiya XF61 Dark Green, which is a flat color, to a semi gloss?

Gino, is this Record of Fire sheet on a regular size clipboard? Is it an official form? Would the form be printed in ink & government supplied & then the RTO guy fills in the boxes, for instance? (I hope that makes sense!).

Thanks for your replies.

Joe.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 01:47 AM UTC
Talking about the semi-glossy look, I guess you could maybe do away with it

Whiskey Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines at Khe Sanh (no visible USMC markings BTW, only a nickname... BADNEWS ? ) :

Frenchy
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 - 04:51 AM UTC
The ROF is a standard Army form and is on a standard 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper. It looks like below.

DA Form 4504

You can simply copy and paste the above pic into .ppt (or another graphics program), resize, and print it out for your dio.
joegrafton
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 12:19 AM UTC
Nice photo, Frenchy!
That helps me a lot!

Thanks for the picture of the ROF, Gino.
That also helps a lot!

Joe.
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 05:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, the RTO would not have a map. He would have a ROF (Record of Fire) sheet on a clipboard. He is not receiving any coordinates that you could translate to a map. He is getting firing data; shell/fuze combo, azimuth of fire, and quadrant of elevation. He records this on a sheet to keep track of what they fired when, how many rounds, etc..

never saw a clip board at the phone slot, but that's a really good idea. The phone was the one slot on the crew that I never filled anytime. I usually rotated with the gunner and AG at certain intervals (getting tired). I never was keen on being the assistant gunner, but would do it when a warm body was needed. Seen too many guys get their hands smacked in recoil. The gunner's slot was not so bad, but even it got to you shooting in the dark. We always double checked the time fuse settings before ever firing the first round, but I usually didn't set them as I had otherthings on my mind. The section cheif usually just stood around with his hands in his pockets (), and most wouldn't have known if you fired out or were spot on anyway.

The worst thing I ever shot in was super thick fog on mountain tops. You couldn't see the loader it was so thick, and so much moisture that it was like rain. We always shot them much slower as it was easy to get somebody hurt.
gary
trickymissfit
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 05:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Talking about the semi-glossy look, I guess you could maybe do away with it

Whiskey Battery, 1st Battalion, 11th Marines at Khe Sanh (no visible USMC markings BTW, only a nickname... BADNEWS ? ) :

Frenchy

could well be "Bad News", as that was one of the most common names painted on a pig. The first gun I was on was named "Bad News", but later a pin head corpral renamed it "Beechwood 4567". That would have been gun three on Gator.
Gun one out west was named something that started with a B, but can't remember what it was. It was CBL'd in September and the new gun wasn't named at first. I later named it "Big Boy Pete" with a picture of Yosemitte Sam on it holding his two pistols in the air. I later did another gun with Bugs Bunny on the shield and also did a couple other guns. Captin loved it, and the Army came out and took photos. Funny thing is that I never did take a picture of the art work myself.

When a gun is lost, it's considered to be a bad omen to christen the new gun with the same name as the older one. But you can do something like "Bad News II"
gary
 _GOTOTOP