_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Panzer tubular tail light ( late ) DAYBEFORE
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 10:08 PM UTC
Yesterday was the day before !
Thus thousands of panzer were fitted with the tubular rear light, there is no evidence on what were the colors ( one color when the light is on, one color when the light is off ).
This question is interesting for a lot of modellers: how to paint it !

Some references give a blue or violet light

I am collecting relics in a modelling way, making a link between the real thing and models.
Collectors for vehicles are not modellers and they dont share the same questions or aspects.

I got a relic of a Marder III Ausf M armour plate and it has good remains of the tubular tail light on it. Though damaged after being 60 years underground, it offers the answer to the question.
Answer or invalidation of theory

So now, I think for the first time, modellers over the world will know what is the color when light is off
It looks satin black !
It has nothing to deal with a neon light with contact on both ends, it is a tubular plastic globe with two contacts on one end. The globe is screwed on that end. The brackets are made of plastic and are painted sand yellow. Unfortunatly, one end of the bracket is missing: just to say it is a holder for the closed end of the globe.

Of course we will still see blue painted lights on models for a long time, like we still can see red fire extinguisher on panzer despite all my efforts.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1163250742/external+fire+extingushers
I am a modeller with one hand for collecting the real thing. And I am always surprised with modeller's community and its beliefs and gurus.

Another great answer to a great question will be : what is the color when the light is on !
This will be the day after !

Propositions:
Blue
Red
Green
Orange
Yellow
Violet

Cheers
eric GEORGE
( this post was just under my shoulder )

SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 04:16 AM UTC
eric George,

Wonderful!

Thank you for posting the photos. It will be very interesting to see how the globe looks once it has been cleaned and all of the dirt removed from its interior.

Is there any indication or remains of the light bulb in the interior? One must assume that there was some form of internal illumination.

Perhaps there were more than one internal light bulb and the tubular light functioned similarly to the rectangular Notek tail light for keeping convoy distances.

Do you intend to clean and study your light some more for evidence on it's actual functioning?

Thank you again for sharing this significant and important information with the rest of us.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 08:03 AM UTC
Eric George, you are the man!

Your discovery is almost as important as the Tomb of Tutankhamun.
Minsk94
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 408 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 08:13 AM UTC
Can you comment this photo, please?

Did you try to clean it, or that is what it looks with light inside?
Thanks,
Alex
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
One problem with light colour is that the gas inside the bulb also dictates the colour given off. Also was this light always on when the engine was running or was there an on/off switch. Regardless of the answers to these questions thank you for your pictures.
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 09:51 PM UTC
"Is there any indication or remains of the light bulb in the interior? One must assume that there was some form of internal illumination."
Sorry for my english. The black tube is a cover for a globe.
No remains of it inside. To let you know it was dug out from deep in the earth in Normandy / Cotentin

"Perhaps there were more than one internal light bulb and the tubular light functioned similarly to the rectangular Notek tail light for keeping convoy distances."
Bulb was internal. But with only 2 contacts for the bulb, it will not work as a Notek rear light.

"Do you intend to clean and study your light some more for evidence on it's actual functioning?"
I would like but the remains are very poor.

"Thank you again for sharing this significant and important information with the rest of us"
I am so pleased to bring the light !

Eric
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Can you comment this photo, please?
Did you try to clean it, or that is what it looks with light inside?
Thanks,
Alex

Alex...
I thought my albums were Private... Can't you wait the day after ?
Eric
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 - 09:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric George, you are the man!

Your discovery is almost as important as the Tomb of Tutankhamun.

Thanks !
I will ask my girlfriend to read your comment !

Eric
JFeder504
Visit this Community
Nord, France
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 02:52 AM UTC
Panzer tubular tail light ( late ) DAYAFTER
Now everybody knows the tubular rear light is satin black, simply curious people like me would put a light inside.
And said God let there be Light, and there was Light !

Blue tubular tail light… Mmmhhh let’s say… Electric Green !
Pics were taken without flash for the camera.

Sorry for not having a four bulbs lamp to fit inside. I have no remains of the inside bulb.

Let there be drums, and there was drums !

Cheers
Eric
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:00 AM UTC
Green makes sense considering that's the same color found on the rectangular-style Notek light.
SdAufKla
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,238 posts
Armorama: 2,158 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 03:27 PM UTC
Huh!?

Well, I'll be... ain't that something! Like Bill says, it does make sense give the Notek light.

But I would have never guessed that florescent green color from that black tube...

I assume that without the light, and after cleaning, the tube is still the same satin black color?

Merci, Eric!
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 07:21 PM UTC
Hi Eric
This is great news for all of us in the panzer buisness. Satin black it is and always will be. Please tell your girlfriend, that she has a true modelling hero for a boyfriend, AND that should be rewarded in any way he likes it
Regards
Jacob
robertkru
Visit this Community
Austria
KitMaker: 28 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2018 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi Eric
Thanks for saving the pics for us modellers. On Missing lynx they are gone. We have discussion in German Forum without new results. To restart the discussion: In my opinion the light was 1 bulb inside a greenish glass cylinder which was painted/coated black except the 4 vision squares. Simple and easy.
Regards from Vienna
Robert
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2018 - 08:15 AM UTC
This is a game changer. I lost the clear light for a jagdpanzer IV. Now, I can just sand some appropriate rod flat and paint.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 06:14 PM UTC
That conclusion was like a well written movie drama=totally unexpected ! Black and spooky green,who'da thunk it ?
Thanks for the intel !
J
Armorsmith
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,000 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 06:25 PM UTC
Verrrrry interesting.
 _GOTOTOP