Hosted by Darren Baker
A PAK-40 dio by TT
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:13 AM UTC
This is a small dio/ display base that I did a few years ago and put to the side for a while . I thought I would show it to ya'll and see what you think . It is the old tamiya kit oob with the tamiya brick set for walls with some balsawood thrown in .

I'm kinda in a slump on this one - so if any one has a few pointers i 'm listening
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:34 AM UTC
Nice diorama. I like the layout and general composition. To improve it here is what I would do.
I would weather/darken the balsa beams with dark brown washes (house hold furniture stain would be good too). I just noticed, in reality you would not see construction with beams of that length and thickness so the length of the beams is a bit of a streatch (but that's not a big deal and it would be a major fix).
The bricks are a bit uniform in color, again, a bit of brown wash or different colors of red would really make the wall jump to life.
I love the off kilter individual bricks and would love to see more on the floor.
The poster seems a bit to clean and flat. Add some wear and tear to that, roll the corners, add some pastels and that'll be nice.
I like the sandbags holding the gun legs.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:41 AM UTC
Carlton

This is a really neat dio idea and good work so far. Your floor looks very convincing I only have a small comment... I see too much of it. I mean this in this way. They are standing with the gun in a destroyed building probably it was one or two stories high but I don`t see that in the dio. I personally would add more rubble like bricks and planks on the ground inside the house. and make a small corridor from the corner to where the gun is standing. This gives the diea that the germans did took away some rubble but only for easier putting the gun in the house.
Further in the last pic the loader seems to have some overpaint on his sleeve.

Other then those two points you are well on your way for a stunning dio. I like the addition of the Poster on the wall (maybe you oculd weather it a little bit and show the results of several weeks hanging there) and the camonetting looks real. I also like the Dust on the gunshield.

No a great dio already and with some additions it will be a pricewinner

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:19 PM UTC
All I have to say is the thing about them there beams. Other than that very good job! I like the whole idea behind it. Very creative!

~Chip :-)
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 607 posts
Armorama: 490 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments and input , I'm going to try some of the articles on making buildings and see what I can do with this model . It might be a while , so be patient with me . thanks toad-13 out .
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
Armorama: 727 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:05 PM UTC
G- Luck toad. Keep us posted!

~Chip :-)
LittleNick
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:31 PM UTC
Very Good Dio
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Armorama: 275 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:13 AM UTC
Hi TT: Nice dio! A very good idea, I like the way your eye is drawn by the overall composition into peeking right over the barrel to see what they are shooting at. The beams are good but they do look a little too clean, like they came right from the lumberyard. And I would agree a little more rubble would add to the dio, but its hard to decide when its too much. The floor is GREAT!! How did u get that worn burnt look to it? The camo nets are a nice touch. GOOD JOB!
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 07:12 AM UTC
Slodder hit all the points I was going to mention. Great minds and all that. #:-)
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:42 AM UTC
nice idea and dio
Yeah, follow the suggests of slodder!
Only a pair of others suggests:
-you can burn a a part of the poster (I always do this in my dio), it looks like very real
-you can do also some slogan, written or graffiti on the wall. The soviet and european resistance use to do it and they looks nice..
regards
 _GOTOTOP