_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Merkava IV LIC questions
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 09:56 PM UTC
Dear Friends,

Finally, I have started to build this beast, but I have some questions and I hope you may help me out...

First things first: any good walkarounds?

The other one is that am I doing something wrong, or does the barrel not fit at all into its place?

I will do it without extra bits, I have only bought ET's chain ball armour set. What about the cover on the baskets, it this standard on all vehicles?

Thanks a million!

Adam

glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 01:21 AM UTC
First things first: any good walkarounds?

There is a nice Mk. 4 in the Latrun Museum, if you can find somebody to take some photos for you.

The other one is that am I doing something wrong, or does the barrel not fit at all into its place?

I am not familiar with the problem.

I will do it without extra bits, I have only bought ET's chain ball armour set. What about the cover on the baskets, it this standard on all vehicles?

If you mean the turret basket, the answer is yes, although that in service they loose the covers.
Same is with hull baskets.

Happy modelling
Michael Mass
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Thanks!

As of the barrell, mine does not fit tightly at all, so gavity pulls it down... I will have to find the correct position and use some CA glue:)

Regards,

Adam
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 04:29 AM UTC
Jimbo,

I will try to help you out for what I can (I would not consider myself an IDF armor expert especially arriving after Mr. Mass, but I built the first Merk.IV - no LIC - released by Academy)

Here we go:

Walkarounds: except for books that are supposedly your best source (and a visit to Latrun), try this website (several pages and links to wade through so you will have to spend some time on it):
http://www.supervideo.com/MXCD-ROMOS.htm?bcsi-ac-20a76bc15dbd50f6=1E8B927900000503xX5LTJ7CPH6IYN93pECtWlUPdNjdAQAAAwUAACwQNgAIBwAAcwAAAEtXBAA=
Also be careful as the website has many Merkavas, not only Mk.IV LIC.

The gun on the first issue did have a problem. You can find some info here:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/133971&page=1
He shows that you have to re-cut the same square on the other side of the gun plug (and also provides many other additional info). Check if the same applies to you.

The cover for the baskets I have found in pics to be:
- standard for the two hull baskets on the sides of the crew access hatch
- almost always there for the turret bustle rack. I have seen some exceptions on operational tanks (although the tarpaulin was rolled up and put inside the rack anyhow) but never an empty rack during operations.
My personal recommendation would be to source resin ones (e.g. Legend) as they are not too expensive but would greatly improve the final look of the beast (and I know because I went the other way and have regretted it!).

Make sure to post progress pics and above all, as usual, have fun!

HTH

JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 07:00 AM UTC
Thanks Nicola!

I have decided to start a build log the get better feedbacks

http://armorama.com/forums/191658&page=1#1603919

Adam
 _GOTOTOP