_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Skif Tiran any good?
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 767 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 01:02 PM UTC
Has anyone built the Skif Tiran 5 ? I've not had any luck finding reviews or info on pretty much any Skif kits.
Thanks in advance...
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 01:18 PM UTC
Walk...no run away as fast as you can from it. Skif's T-55 kits are horrible.

The best way to get a Tiran is using the Tamiya T-55 and Legend conversion for a Tiran 5. The other "Tiran" kits (Lindberg, Esci, Trumpeter, etc.) all suck.

Here is what you can do w/Tamiya and Legend for a Tiran 5.

Build log here.
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 10:34 PM UTC
Dino,

Your model is a nice build.

I will recommend the fine and accurate Tiran 5 conversion, done and sold by Blast Models. Perfect !!
http://www.phpshopxml.com/blamod.shop/CID/68dd75b57d60cd02b00a77daa1706a71/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/BL35019K
Worth every Euro !!

If I may relate to your Tiran 5 markings, they cannot "live" one with the other.

Best regards
Michael Mass
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 10:55 PM UTC
Michael- Firstly, it is Gino, with a G. I know the markings are off, as I stated the last time you pointed it out, it's too late, it has already gone to the very happy buyer who didn't care how it was marked.

I haven't built the Blast one, but have heard it is good too.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Walk...no run away as fast as you can from it. Skif's T-55 kits are horrible.

I agree, it's awfull indeed is the worst T-55 kit!

Great job Gino!
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 11:15 PM UTC
That's what I needed to know! Thanks!
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 11:24 PM UTC
Sorry, I meant Gino, but have a friend named Dino, and it jumped out aotomaticaly.

And .. yes, now I remember (old brain..)

Sorry for the mix, buddy

Michael
Whiskey_1
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 279 posts
Armorama: 272 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Has anyone built the Skif Tiran 5 ? I've not had any luck finding reviews or info on pretty much any Skif kits.
Thanks in advance...

The words Skif and Good are never brought in relation to eachother.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 01:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry, I meant Gino, but have a friend named Dino, and it jumped out aotomaticaly.

And .. yes, now I remember (old brain..)

Sorry for the mix, buddy

Michael

No problem, we all need our memories jogged every once in a while.
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 670 posts
Armorama: 410 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 06:50 AM UTC
In defence of Trumpeter`s kit.IMHO it is`nt that bad - i`ve got one in my stash and the only thing stopping me building it is space !,alright it does`nt have Tamiya`s slick look and "shake and bake" build qualities but just recently someone posted a really nice build of one on here.
On the other hand,i had an Esci T-55 - this went from the stash,to the bench and then to the bin quicker than you can read this, a TRULY horrible kit !!
UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:46 AM UTC
I had also been kicking around the idea of building the Tamiya kit as one captured and pressed into service by the IDF before getting any Tiran mods, but I'm not really sure how that would work out.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:54 AM UTC
I don't think any were used before modifying them into Tirans.

As to the Trumpeter T-54/55s, they are only slightly better than the Skif kits. The details are soft, assemblies are simplified, the road wheel attachments are really poor, etc., etc., etc... Some of their earliest ones also had a wierd, almost ungluable plastic and the road wheels were attached by screws. It really isn't worth the effort to fix all that is wrong with them when the Tamiya one is so much better.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 12:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As to the Trumpeter T-54/55s, they are only slightly better than the Skif kits. The details are soft, assemblies are simplified, the road wheel attachments are really poor, etc., etc., etc... Some of their earliest ones also had a wierd, almost ungluable plastic and the road wheels were attached by screws. It really isn't worth the effort to fix all that is wrong with them when the Tamiya one is so much better.

Its bigger inaccuray is that the lower hull it's at least 3 mm too high..... The shape looks totally wrong! There are no alternative to Tamiya kit in my opinion. Others T-55 kits are too wrong and ugly

Anyway here an old review about the T-55 kits (it's been written before the tamiya release)

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~TANK-GUY/KIT-REVIEW06.html

UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 02:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This is what got me thinking about it;

>>>The First Tirans came into IDF hands during the Six Day War. These were mostly late model T-54s as distiguished by the roof top ventilator although some T-55s were captured as well. While exact numbers are not known, enough were captured to arm at least 3 battalions during the 1973 Yom Kippur war........

.......Like most other tools the IDF began an almost immediate improvement project to modify and upgrade the captured vehicles. Some vehicles are seen with early straight barrel 100mm guns and only two water cans added to the rear of theturret. By 1973 the 100mmm gun is repalced by the standard 105mm found on western tanks, now built under license in Israel......

......By 1973 only the rear stowage basket, the affore mentioned 105mm modification. 2 watercan holders were placed behind the loader,along with a small storage box. the vehicles seen were armed with one .30 cal. crew served weapon mounted sectraly on the turret top......

http://idf-armor.blogspot.com/

But, I don't know much about either IDF or Russian post-WWII armor.
glock17c
Visit this Community
Jerusalem, Israel
Posted: Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 09:20 PM UTC
Hello Bret,

The T54 and T55 were captured in 1967 (6 day war), and entered service as they are under the names:
Tiran 4 - for T54
Tiran 5 - for T55
All tanks were Soviet made.

They entered service with slight modifications mainly in gear arrangements, communication and machine guns.

The new Brigade was #274, where the leading Battalion was 453, that was used also for training the new crews.
All tanks were marked 109mmm-צ

lATER ON (BEFORE THE 1973 WAR, 105mm gun barrels were adapted to the existing breech, (100mm breech was suitable for 105mm gun, with the cj=hange of the thread and firing pin.
This Tiran 5 was called Tiran 5 Sharir (for the 105mm new gun.

During the 1973 YKW, many more T tanks were captured from Syria and Egypt, and 3 more Brigades were built.
Another new derivatve entered the IDF Armored Corps , and it was the Tiran 6 (Soviet T62) with its original 115 mm smooth bore gun.

The 3 new Brigades were 889, 320, 265, where all new 1973 captured T tanks were marked 130mmm or 131mmm.
Czech made T55 also were captured within these T tanks. All T55 received the Sharir 105mm gun, and no T54 entered service after 1973.

just my 2 cents
Michael Mass
SabIngaMartin
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 171 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 05:09 AM UTC
Well I agree with Gino
The best way to get a Tiran is using the Tamiya T-55 and Legend conversion for a Tiran 5. The Legend one is accurate and cheap.

Gino, Nice build blog and very colorful Tiran, Hope you build some more soon.

It looks that Tamyia change their policy and going to use their kits to produce more and more variant, thus I will NOT surprised to see soon a Tiran from them.

Robert

Dr.Robert Manasherob
www.sabingamartin.com

UncaBret
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 07:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It looks that Tamyia change their policy and going to use their kits to produce more and more variant, thus I will NOT surprised to see soon a Tiran from them.

Now,that I could live with!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 - 09:16 PM UTC
Here a walkaround (Latrun exemplar)

http://svsm.org/gallery/tiran5

rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
I know it's pretty late to jump in here, but if I may.....
If you happen to have the Trump kit (I got one as a gift) it's possible to get a decent model from one. This is mine, using some Lindberg parts, a few bits from Acad, and a fair amount of scratch. I changed the angle of the swing arms to get the whole chassis lower, rather than try and section the hull. I wouldn't do it again, but it's modeling.

Now if Tamiya did one, I'd line up for it.
JoeBev
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
Yes the Tamiya T-55A is an excellent kit and The Blast Models Tiran 5 conversion is also great. I did this combination and was very satisfied. I did replace all the molded on tie downs on the 2 stowage baskets and the top of the turret with resin ones from Tiger Model Design. The external fuel tank plumbing is easy to do. I used copper wire and made my own connectors for the fuel lines. I used Modelkasten tracks, but Fruils are easier to deal with. i also added mounting rods for some of the stowage boxes and jerrican racks , so they were properly spaced from the turret surface.
Good luck.
Joe Bevans
AMPS 2nd VP West region
AMPS So Cal
Removed by original poster on 10/22/12 - 03:47:12 (GMT).
gilbertsakr
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 302 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 07:14 PM UTC
hi

I had the opportunity to buy a skif tiran 5s on ebay for a very good price and I combined it with an italeri t55a kit

the results were very promising

I used all the tiran components from the skif kit and added them onto the italeri kit; in addition to some scratch built bits and pieces

the outcome is amazing and the tank looks fantastic

I will post a few pictures in the next couple of days and leave you to be the judge of it

cheers
young_sven
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 749 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Friday, October 02, 2015 - 08:27 PM UTC
Tamiya also do a very nice Tiran 5, so you don't have to go the Tamiya T-55 + Legend/Blast conversion any more unless you particularly want to work with resin.

Edit: I see now that this is a rather old post from 2012. At that time the Tamiya Tiran 5 did not exist.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hi

I had the opportunity to buy a skif tiran 5s on ebay for a very good price and I combined it with an italeri t55a kit

the results were very promising

I used all the tiran components from the skif kit and added them onto the italeri kit; in addition to some scratch built bits and pieces

the outcome is amazing and the tank looks fantastic

I will post a few pictures in the next couple of days and leave you to be the judge of it

cheers

Looking forward to it. I started building armor models when the world's entire selection of 1/35th scale plastic armor kits filled half a page of the Squadron flyer, so we learned to do a lot of kit bashing, converting, and scratch building.

A skilled modeler can always "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear," and sometimes the desire for a challenge (or a challenged financial situation) will lead you to take that old kit out of the stash, and do something spectacular with it. I was really pinching pennies during the recession a few years ago, and decided to make Nichimo's old King Tiger look as good as Dragon's, using only the odds and ends in my stash. It was a fun project.
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 03, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC
Tamiya's Tiran 5 is a very nice kit but still has a few errors and lack of detail carried over from their original T55. Saying that, there are new mouldings and it does make for a decent model.
I made mine into a Tiran 4 using the DEF models resin set along with a few extras..

Blog - http://www.plasticarmour.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=428

Hoping to start to get some paint on it after we move house soon.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP