_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
T-62...again
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:37 PM UTC
Tamiya T-62 is one of my "Give-this- Kit-a-Chance" projects : a new resin turret (CMD) + a new set of tracks + Cookie Sewell's FSM building article = Eh Voila ! ( I'm an optimistic Frenchman )... But I've just received Cookie's article and it has seriously dampen my enthousiasm, considering the work to be done on the kit hull. So would the Verlinden T-62 set be a good Plan B ? I already know I would have to replace the replacement turret , thanks to Terry Ashley's review on PMMS website, but I would appreciate other users feedbacks about this set (#1627)...

TIA
Frenchy
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
Frenchy,

Have the Tamiya kit, both CMD turrets, three different PE sets, Fruili tracks and the Verlinden kit. But, have yet to start the project.

The Verlinden kit, while mastered by a great guy, does not include the needed hull corrections but some fender details stuff. The CMD turret (early or late) is the ONLY way to go (unless there is another resin turret). The front fenders are the only scarcely idea as they are not included in the Verlinden kit.

Now, no offense to Cookie, but the one real drawback is the lower hull. If you are an AMS pseudo-masochist ( ) then start the scratch-build. If you are not, then build the lower hull with the error. Trust me, very few will notice the omission. Not an error, just the omission.

Dave
AMPS LA
cdave
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:19 PM UTC
Frenchy,

Have the Tamiya kit, both CMD turrets, three different PE sets, Fruili tracks and the Verlinden kit. But, have yet to start the project.

The Verlinden kit, while mastered by a great guy, does not include the needed hull corrections but some fender details stuff. The CMD turret (early or late) is the ONLY way to go (unless there is another resin turret). The front fenders are the only scarcely idea as they are not included in the Verlinden kit.

Now, no offense to Cookie, but the one real drawback is the lower hull. If you are an AMS pseudo-masochist ( ) then start the scratch-build. If you are not, then build the lower hull with the error. Trust me, very few will notice the omission. Not an error, just the omission.

Dave
AMPS LA
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 07:20 PM UTC
Hi Dave
Thanks for the input(s) ! I am not suffering from AMS (not yet, but who knows ) and I think I will follow your advice. The bad news is that anyway I will have to deal with some "budget overspending"...

Frenchy
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:05 AM UTC
Yeah, I'm in the same boat..

3x of the basic kit
Fruil and armor track tracks
Model point barrels -I'm not counting the AEF one..-
Fruil AAmg
New Eduard etch set
CMD turret -again not counting the AEF ones that were in one box I got via e-bay-
Verlinden transfers
rolls and rolls of pics from Aberdeen
Every book that even mentions the T62 including ones in Russian I can't even read!
Aries BBD conversion

to date completed -detailed or not- T-62's

ZERO!

I am NOT a well man.

Mike
who is drooling over the instructions for the Eduard Bradley interior and turret interior sets as well..

see above -re: not well-
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:16 AM UTC
Wow Mike, YOU surely know what "budget overspendings" means
It's too late to back down now...

Good luck with your (expensive) project !

Frenchy

penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 929 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:45 AM UTC
"budget overspendings" !!!
You must ban these words !
Very soon, it's going to be Xmas, and there will be plenty of new and exciting kits appearing on the shelves !

about the JordiRubio AAMG : this is the "early type" oh Dushka... used on very late WWII armor and not for very long after WWII. For a T62, you need a "late type" Dushka, if I'm not proved wrong... for which there is no after market set !
The late type is the model derived from the naval machine gun !

I think that the "late type" was already used on T55s, so you should find a very nice one with the tamiya T55 !
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC
If money was not a problem, maybe I would buy another Tamiya T-55, just for the AA machine gun !

PenPen : there are words I would like to ban, but my wife would not....

Frenchy
Dmitriy_Li
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 02:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

maybe I would buy another Tamiya T-55, just for the AA machine gun !

As a matter of fact Tamiya's T-55 is not the bad idea at all. You can get pretty good and accurate DSHK, road wheels, drive sprockets, idlers, lights, instrument boxes, gas tanks, and a lot of other nice little details for under $34. That's the price of FM DSHK + CMD road wheels alone.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 06:19 AM UTC
Eh I didn't look at the budget question from that angle . That for sure needs a close re-examination...
Thanks for the tip !

Frenchy
 _GOTOTOP