_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Merkava IV LIC intermediate build
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 06:56 AM UTC
Dear Friends!

I have decidet to bring one of my builds to the international level IDF (and modern era modelling in general) is not a usual topic in Hungary so here I hope for better observations.

First of all, it will be mostly OOB. Other thing to note is that I am really "just" a hobbist, so all I use is the kit and the ET Models chain-ballset, maybe some home updates (vire, foil, etc.). Tools and materials are also basic, udget is low.

As of the Academy kit, I find it quite nice, and really easy to build (so far), with crisp parts that go together like a dream. Comparing to photos, of course there are some flaws, if it is easy to correct, I will do it, but this one is intended to be a chillout build (I had my laser eye surgrey recently).

The only problem encountered so far is the barrel that has the cutout on the wrong side so it does not fit into its place. Easy to correct though (photos soon!).

The turret basket is a little problematic too, but I will cover it like in the reality (suggestions are welcome - but home-made only:)).

What I really do not like, is that this box does not contain te PE parts of the original IV version, so this perforated cover on the two hull baskets is made out of plastic and look awful (so if anyone has spares of it because of using a more comprehensive PE set, maybe we could havea deal).
Same for the base of the turret basket. It is a pity!

So far I have glued the bigger parts (due to my eyes), and now I am in the phase of (minor) filling/sanding and refining the details - so this is when your help is needed

Any suggestions and observations are welcome, either if it is about errors or possible improvements.

Thanks for checking this out! Photos are coming!

Adam
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 04:38 AM UTC
Sooooo...the photos, as promised.

Please note that I had no time yet to remove minor glue stains, putty and some flash due to my eyes (I will give it a try this weekend).

Since the turret basket will be covered, I just glued it together without too much care for the details. Right now I am working on the barrel end to make it fit into place.

As of the "springs", I have filled the emptyness with sprue, and applied 2 component putty on the most visible parts. While it was soft, I carved lines in it. After hardening, I will (at least try to) sand it into the shape of a spring. For me it is easier than to create a real one .

That is all so far, I am starting to go into the details, and recreating the welding lines... Which I have to identify first according the photos...

Suggestions, opinions and observations are always welcome!

Adam
Removed by original poster on 04/20/12 - 17:13:32 (GMT).
Captin_Caveman_III
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,069 posts
Armorama: 1,062 posts
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2012 - 02:54 PM UTC
It's a clean start!
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks, unfortunately I did not have more time to progress.

But I figured out something annoying.

I have ordered ET Models' chain ball set for 11,99.
And now I have just realised that Legend's set (which also sells for 11,99) includes the turret and hull baskets AND chain armour...

Is the Legend chain so bad or the ET so great (or just unreasonably expensive)?

I could make good use of some feedback on this.

Thanks!

Ps.: do I need the kit turret basket for Legend or it replaces everything?
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi Guys, I am busy with the usual stuff on the turret (antenna, grab rails, etc.). I will send some photo updates but nothing radical has happened so far.

But I have a question... I see that some kind of device is missing on the kit (they give the console only). What is that (pls see photo) for? If it is attached, what else should be added to other parts of the tank?

Are there any more necessary updaes to make the tank "operable"?

As of the RPG chains, I have found out that I will use ET chains and balls with the Legend console. Legend balls look like the "toilet rig" and ET ones are more solid and have etched hooks as well.

Cheers!
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 09:44 PM UTC
Adam,

although not 100% sure (maybe more schooled memebers will pitch in), the actual device is part of the incoming missile detection system. I am surprised to see such a clear pic as I understood the stuff is still classified, but that should be its purpose.
As for making a tank "more" operational if it has it, I have seen pics of tanks involved in Cast Lead without it.

HTH

JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 12:39 AM UTC
Thanks Nicola,

This is a simple (early?) Merkava IV from Latrun I guess (the photo is from PrimePortal). So I think this is not part of the Trophy system. Two more consoles are also found on the rear sides of the turret.

Adam
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Nicola,

This is a simple (early?) Merkava IV from Latrun I guess (the photo is from PrimePortal). So I think this is not part of the Trophy system. Two more consoles are also found on the rear sides of the turret.

Adam

Its most likely a Laser Range finder detector/warning system. Basically it detects incoming laser radiation from an enemy tank that is trying to take a shot at it.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 12:56 AM UTC
Thanks, and it is for detection only? I see no other countermeasures on this vehicle.
_Viper_
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 163 posts
Armorama: 86 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 04:04 AM UTC
Again out of my limited knowledge but the only active system I am aware of takes the form of the droid shaped mast generally put on the right side at the back of the turret. I think ET Models and also Voyager make one. Again out of memory I seem to recollect that for recent operations only 1 tank out of a platoon was fitted with one.

Thanks to Scott for having corrected me! Laser was the key word and I had missed it in my explanation. But those are used for detection only as we both said and yes, there are two more facing the back of the turret.

Another detail in terms of the operational look of the tank would be the covers on the baskets (already covered in your introduction) and the bag to catch empty cases on the MG coaxial with the main gun (not in the Academy kit).

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Without venturing into too many details, AFAIK the 'droid' is not active either, just a passive detector. The Merkava IV 'Trophy/Windbreaker' is a full active system and the turret has significant changes to it:

This is the only photo I have of a production detector in use; usually they are covered or in most cases, not installed.

Jim
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2012 - 07:07 AM UTC
Thanks Jim!

I was sure that it is not part of the Trophy system, but as you have said the point is that I do not have to install it. Good news! Thank you again!
 _GOTOTOP