_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Australian M3 Stuart "Buna"
brettgibson
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hi all,

I'm up to the painting stage of my M3 Stuart at Buna. Any help of what green they were painted would be helpfully (US, Brit or Aust). As well as a paint match for the colour

I will post WIP pics of this build when I get my cable up and running again, in a couple of days.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 09:52 PM UTC
I think you will find they were left in US Olive Drab with the white Australian Vehicle Registration number added over the (often) blue drab USA number.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 10:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you will find they were left in US Olive Drab with the white Australian Vehicle Registration number added over the (often) blue drab USA number.

i agree with you the russians did the same thing as the aussies
Nylonathatep
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 58 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 - 11:49 PM UTC
Most likely ASC 'J' Khaki Green No. 3. Given the number of bits added on to the M3s I'd have a hard time seeing how they could not have been repainted.

Quoted Text

The colour of the vehicles has been the subject of much speculation. Most tanks would have arrived in Australia in either US Army olive drab or British khaki green. Given that a number of modifications were done to the tanks, that there are photos of the 2/6th’s tanks in camouflage during their training, it would seem most were repainted. If this was the case, then the colour would be Australian Khaki Green No. 3, a similar, but not identical, colour to the British khaki green

source: http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/m3inactionph_1.htm

Possible mixes posted some time ago on Missing-lynx I believe:

Quoted Text

Mike Starmer reckoned that the FS matches that Mike Cecil came up for;

ASC "J" (Khaki Green) = FS. 33070

Paint mix
10 parts Humbrol 150
2 parts H100
1 part H33

I noted it for future reference for some Aussie stuff I want to build at some point, I haven't used it.

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 - 10:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Mike Starmer reckoned that the FS matches that Mike Cecil came up for;

ASC "J" (Khaki Green) = FS. 33070

Paint mix
10 parts Humbrol 150
2 parts H100
1 part H33

I noted it for future reference for some Aussie stuff I want to build at some point, I haven't used it.

[/quote]

yes that is the Post-1942 Australian Service Green formula. Mike Cecil also did Pre-1942 Australian Service Green, Light Stone and Earth formulas using Humbrol enamel paints as reference. No formula in acrylic though for these colors and looking at paint conversion charts some of the Humbrol paint shades are not done by other manufacturers
 _GOTOTOP