Hosted by Darren Baker
M88
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC
I just finished this baby for my club show's 'special award' category (Vietnam) unfortunately I won't now be able to attend.....grrrrrrrrrrr

The kit is the AFV Club M88 with some details scratchbuilt (lightguards, forward MG mount, jerrycan racks) and is finished as a vehicle of 1/10th Cav featured in the squadron book on vietnam vehicles. The 'load' is made from plastic card and bits from the spares box and is there just to keep the cables taut.

Markings are handmade from microscale and archer decal sheets and the model is painted with modelmaster acrylics.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
I'm sure this one would place. The weathering is just right. When you say the decals are "hand made", do you mean you printed them or they came from an am sheet? I've been wanting to build one for a few years, now. Unfortunately, it is more dificult to locate than a snowball in hell.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 06:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Unfortunately, it is more dificult to locate than a snowball in hell.

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/Product-Detail.cfm?P=SKUAFV35011&N=10

HTH

Frenchy
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 06:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm sure this one would place. The weathering is just right. When you say the decals are "hand made", do you mean you printed them or they came from an am sheet? I've been wanting to build one for a few years, now. Unfortunately, it is more dificult to locate than a snowball in hell.

The pennant was cut from red and white decal sheets, the '81' came from a sheet of 1/48 aircraft number decals and the bumper codes etc made from archer rub down numbers/letters put onto clear decal film and then added to the model. Only the stars were 'ready made'.
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 - 05:18 PM UTC
great build.very nice work.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thanx for the comments. It's a pretty old kit now and suffers from numerous sink holes and poor fit in some places but it still builds into a brute which captures the size of the original I think. I've now started on an AFV CLub Valentine and its looks like 1/48 scale next to this thing...
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 10:31 AM UTC

Here's mine, made an engine sling to keep my cables taught
bat-213
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 - 05:50 PM UTC
hi guys,they are both great builds,one day i will start my m88
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 703 posts
Armorama: 499 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 - 02:41 PM UTC
This for James, what is the bumper # you used and are they correct. Also what did you used on the smoke grenade despensors on the front of your 88.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
Well, not really sure about the bumper numbers, doubt if they are good. I built this thing back in 97 or 98. It has a FULL interior that is mostly scratch built. I purchased a resin interior set from, I think, MR Models but I have to tell you it was junk, just big blobs of resin. I used those as templates to scratch build, and added a lot that was missing, tool racks, tool boxes, radio racks and radios, all the wiring, cabling, weapons and racks, you name it, it’s in there. The covers on the smoke grenade launchers is just masking tape. Wrapped around then one piece added to the front. I used crazy glue to fill the seams. I do that on a lot of my models, the tape has texture that looks like fabric.
 _GOTOTOP