_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
brittish africa uniform color doubt
aminxe
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 106 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 - 09:23 PM UTC
hello,
after having painted a number of miniart eight army figures uniforms in middle stone i am begining to wonder wether this is the right color since many pics i see around are in light sand color.can you pls give me your advice.
aminxe
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 12:45 AM UTC
link to pic

garthj
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 282 posts
Armorama: 229 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:03 AM UTC
Hello Amin,
There is no easy answer to your question. Many of the various countries who took part in this campaign included Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and of course Great Britain. Uniform colours varied from light sand and beige to khaki drill and darker. Remember also the bleaching effects of the sun, washing and also that many of the reference photos from the North African campaign are taken in bright sunlight, making many uniforms appear almost white. A variation of colours is very acceptable.
Regards,
Garth
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:26 AM UTC
Im not a uniform expert, but the colour you used is OK. But if you paint them all the same colour on every figure, it will not simulate reality. Many different batches of clothes were issued at different times and from different suppliers and then with with ware and tear, bleaching, washing etc .... the colours change slightly giving a variety of colours. Looks more interesting on models as well.
aminxe
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 01:08 PM UTC
yes i agree with everyone.as from today i'm going to start using valejo light sand on some and bleach heavily the middle stone of some others.I'm already doing that on helmets adding steel scratches as well.Its that sometimes instructions are so missleading.One mini art box i have says the socks are yellow green...!!!! thank you all for your commnents.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hi Amin,

I can honestly tell you that the NZ 2ef uniform was more of a bleached middle stone than sand & I can vouch for it as I had a complete uniform minus boots for 20 yrs before selling it when moving to Australia

The equipment was khaki for the water bottle & combat webbly pistol holster & a burnt sienna colour for the Sam Browne leather holster & straps, the belt was a the same as the combat pistol pouch with brass buckle & the buttons on the shirts were very similar as well.

Hope that helps

Cheers Mike
aminxe
Visit this Community
Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:17 PM UTC
hello,
"the belt was the same as the combat pistol pouch" ,you mean bleached khaki? i am painting the buttons with OD 1. while the buckle is brass.
 _GOTOTOP