Hosted by Darren Baker
Airfix 25 pdr and Morris Quad
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:17 AM UTC
I started this kit as part of the Art of the Battlefield Campaign, but as often happens, ran out of time. Anyway, I'm enjoying this build so much I've decided to share it with all of you as a build log. Here is what I started with, pulled this kit from the stash 20(!) years after I bought it for the grand sum of $4.75:

And some initial work on the Quad. This kit is definitely not for the faint of heart; lots of flash and sinkholes.

dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:21 AM UTC
Next, basic assembly. This kit is needing lots of putty. The parts of the limber especially were a very poor fit. I also scratchbuilt some windows for the Quad, as they did not come with the kit. 8 panes so far (the lower windows had sliding glass), with the two-part windshield to be added once the roof is attached. I'll try to get some better pictures of the windows.

A close-up of the gun. I had to replace the barrel, it just couldn't be saved. I made a new one out of a spare Sherman barrel and some drafting tape:

dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:26 AM UTC
Then, I ran across Darren Baker's excellent write-up of the DML 1/35 25 pdr and limber, and as time was running out on the campaign, my project took on a life of it's own. As I started adding a few details to the Morris Quad, I just kept on going. Each wheel received 8 lugnuts, and needless to say, after I did 5 of those my nerves needed a break. About 60 scratchbuilt pieces later, here is where I was at:

At this point, I still planned to add a lot of details, such as headlights, windshields and wipers, mirrors, and some details around the hitch on the back. And of course the limber and gun will receive the same treatment. It won't be completely accurate (the back end of the Morris, for example, would have to be completely rebuilt, but that would have implications for the interior, and I was already to far into the build to take the vehicle apart again), but it will be a heck of a lot more detailed! It's amazing how much fun you can have with a kit that cost less than $5 and some styrene sheet and rod.
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:30 AM UTC
And here is where I was as of last night. I estimated I've added about 100 scratch built parts so far (mostly on the wheels), and will probably add at least another 100. Everything is dry fit in the pictures, so wheels may not be exactly straight. Haven't decided yet if I will mount the firing platform to the limber. I have seen some pictures with it this way, and I sort of like it. Just need to figure out exactly how it was mounted, as I'm sure it was heavy! Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 02:36 AM UTC
As I'm working to finish up the roof of the Quad, I'm trying to figure out what the brackets on the roof are (to the left of the spare tire in this one, with a mirror image of it being on the other side (from chrispit1955's photostream on Flickr, used here for discussion only)):

Does anybody know what they were used for? Also, if anybody has any close-ups, I'd love to see them.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm trying to figure out what the brackets on the roof are (to the left of the spare tire in this one, with a mirror image of it being on the other side

According to the blurb on Wikipedia:
"Quads in 25 pdr and Anti Tank Regiments had no need to carry the gun traversing platform on the roof. The brackets were duly removed, and usually substituted by a metal framework to provide an area for the storage of kit."

Starting to read this, I was thinking about Darren's feature on this gun, and would you be able to apply all the details he supplies on to this basic old kit... and then it turns out that's what you are doing (within reason).

Quoted Text

amazing how much fun you can have with a kit that cost less than $5 and some styrene sheet and rod

How true.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 04:58 AM UTC
The ground plate should be slung under the gun itself. the brackets are I believe for the very early 25pdr when the gun was mounted on the 18pdr carraige. I will verify this information ASAP. The picture you have provided is of one of the Garrisons Quads and so I should be able to get your answers and funnily enough it was very wet aswell this weekend just gone.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 05:58 AM UTC
Mark,

Haven't seen you posting anything here in quite some time so welcome back! I and a few others in our local club have this mouldy goldie in our stashes. It's great to see it being built and especially with all the TLC you are putting into it. I'll be watching this faithfully as it might inspire me to give the kit a try. There can never be enough Blogs in this forum! :-)

Cheers,
Jan
erhntly
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
I enjoy seeing a Airfix. Waiting more ...
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 07:52 AM UTC
I just love blogs like this and especially about some of these old kits. I saw one of these at a local shop for $8 and was thinking of trying it. How is the parts fit in general?

Regards,
AJ
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 - 10:13 AM UTC
Thanks for all the responses so far!!

@firstcircle and CMOT: Mmmmm, so I wonder if I should leave those brackets off then, even though I've already built the back two. It's funny that the Airfix kit has those but not the other two. CMOT, I'll wait to hear back from you before I make a decision on that.

As far as mounting the firing platform under the gun goes, that will take some serious scratchbuilding. As is, the kit provides a simple rod, with the result that the platform hangs too low. Although, if you use the kit part you can still remove the platform...

@Jan: thanks for your post, and yes, my posting has gotten sparse. Between work, family, and looking for a new job there's not much time left...

@erhntly and weathering_one: much more to come, as I have a long list of parts still to be added/modified. As far as the kit parts go, the fit is ok, but some pieces, like the hood and back end of the Quad and the bottom piece on the limber needed some serious puttying and sanding. That said though, I like the challenge of seeing how far I can go by using a kit like this one. It's good practice, especially for scratchbuilding!!
dutchboyinohio
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
Small update, about all my nerves and patience could handle tonight....

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 07:30 AM UTC
Mark,

Very enlightening project with what appear to be great results. At times it seems that you're adding as much plastic as came in the kit.
Thanks for sharing this with us.

Cheers,
Jan
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 09:38 AM UTC
mark this is a great project and looking really good!
i.prefer the airfix kits they maybe old but theyre a challlenge with the patience i know i cant say much about how old the kits are too me as im only 23 but do love a good airfix braile scale kit. speaking of which ive just got a very old kit off ebay last week the airfix chieftan and it doesnt say 1/72.scale just " 00 "so that sugesta to me very old.

ill be keeping an eye on this build intriguing me to go get it myself at the weekend.
look forward to the update

anthony
weathering_one
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 458 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2012 - 04:40 PM UTC
As others have said I love what you are doing with this old kit. I also appreciate blogs like this that inspire. Can't wait to see how this ends up.

Regards,
AJ
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 07:27 AM UTC
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, The frame on the back of this Quad is to carry a spare ground plate, every unit carried items for the guns and this is one of those modifications with a purpose in mind.
Chillidragon
KitMaker: 104 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 20, 2012 - 09:41 AM UTC
Sorry - maybe a little off-topic (or not); the Quad and Chieftain kits were vevedr intended to be 1/72nd; 'OO' is a model railway gauge with compatible vehicles etc at 4mm to the foot, or 1:76.2 (OO gauge itself consists of 1/87th track with stock scaled at 1/76th above the wheels). Most Airfix kits are 1/76th except for a few (Jeep, CCKW. LCVP) which are 1/72nd - these were from the Heller range.
Chillidragon
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 05:56 AM UTC
Off to a splendid start here - apologies to all. The above would read as follows if I could edit it...

"Sorry - maybe a little off-topic (or not); the Quad and Chieftain kits were never intended to be 1/72nd; 'OO' is a model railway gauge with compatible vehicles etc at 4mm to the foot, or 1:76.2 (OO gauge itself consists of 1/87th track with stock scaled at 1/76th above the wheels; I model in P4 gauge, with 1:76th everywhere). Most Airfix kits are 1/76th except for a few (Jeep, CCKW. LCVP) which are 1/72nd - these were from the Heller range."
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:02 AM UTC
Welcome to the Braille Scale Forum and Armorama, John. If you look in the upper right corner of the message area of a post you'll see when that post was written. In the case of Mark (dutchboyinohio), his last post is dated May 10, 2012. Life's necessities can and do often interfere with a build and obviously this might be the case with this Blog.

On the point of editing a post, you have a limited time (1.5 hours or so) that you can edit your post. After that it is there to stay. The only exception to this rule is when you are the principal poster in a Build Blog. In that case you have almost unlimited time to edit your posts in that Blog.

As for your comments about scale, this is the Braille Scale forum and therefore anything 1/72 scale or smaller resides here. The Airfix box pictured in the original postings is from the period when Airfix had all their vehicles labelled as 1/72. Most of their vehicles were 1/76 but 1/72 was gaining in popularity and advertising them as 1/72 was purely a marketing ploy at the time. While we're on the topic, Airfix's first "vehicle" kit was the Bristol Bloodhound, originally released in 1960 and it was 1/72 scale.

If you are interested in a bit of Airfix nostalgia you might like to check out the review of the Airfix Build and Convert Book Review here at Armorama.

Hope that you stick around this forum and join in the fun by posting some of you work here.

Cheers,
Jan
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2012 - 07:25 AM UTC
Continuing on the off topic theme (but maybe we'll pull Mark back in, who knows...) interesting what you say about the Bloodhound - I guess it was 1/72 as it was really an aircraft so fitted in with that range.

The badging of 1/76 as 1/72 of course resulted in that oddity where the Mark IV tank was labelled 1/76 on the box and 1/72 on the instructions inside the box!
Chillidragon
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 - 02:12 AM UTC
Jan:

Yes, I know about the bloodhound. I'm also aware of the marketing ploy, the crafty little scamps!

I have never modelled armour in anything other than 1/76 or 1/72. I wrote about the mislabelling of kit scales, and I fail to see your point in mentioning the name of this forum when I had already seen it. Nor should the seemingly stalled build exclude anyone from comment; indeed, it might provide further encouragement to continue.

BTW, all my armour projects are now in 1/76: Rail Scale.
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 24, 2012 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jan:

Yes, I know about the bloodhound. I'm also aware of the marketing ploy, the crafty little scamps!

Crafty indeed and from what I have read there were more than a few threats of litigation over their little advertising ploy. Then again, sometimes negative attention is still better than no attention.

Quoted Text

I have never modelled armour in anything other than 1/76 or 1/72. I wrote about the mislabelling of kit scales, and I fail to see your point in mentioning the name of this forum when I had already seen it.

John, there was no malicious intent or slight meant but merely an attempt to promote "conversation" and hopefully let others who might read these postings know that the Forum exists and is active. With all the forums available here on Armorama you might be surprised at the number of newcomers who are at first overwhelmed by the variety. :-)

Quoted Text

Nor should the seemingly stalled build exclude anyone from comment; indeed, it might provide further encouragement to continue.

As I mentioned in my earlier post and Matthew (firstcircle) also commented, perhaps the revival of this thread might entice Mark to perhaps add his comments to the ranks (if not add to his Blog). From personal experience I have had old Blogs of mine revitalized even after as much as two years after their last posting. f

Quoted Text

BTW, all my armour projects are now in 1/76: Rail Scale.

It is certainly always nice to see another small scale builder join this forum. You may not be aware but at this moment a campaign has recently begun that might interest you. You can read more about it at Matchbox AFV Nostalgia Campaign. It is strictly 1/76 and the main enlistment page will have a link to the actual campaign building thread.

Cheers,
Jan
 _GOTOTOP