_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Soviet T-10 to T-10m
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 04:37 AM UTC
I am not going to BLOG it in this thread, but I have bought Commander's T-10M kit and I am muddling through research on it. I will be doing a review, but if anyone has some good references on the T-10M in particular, feel free to share it.

The kit looks pretty good so far, bu there are some issues I need to research out, like engine screen sizes. The kit comes with a KVPT AAMG, so any detail shots of that would be appreciated as well.
caryl576
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 165 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 07:08 AM UTC
Quite a nice photo of a dismounted one here

http://clubs.ya.ru/4611686018427452319/replies.xml?item_no=1155

Training poster for KVPt here

http://tipolog.livejournal.com/10981.html

T10M info

http://armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/Modern/T10/t10M.php

http://liveguns.ru/tanki/t10

Any use?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:43 AM UTC
Couple of walk-arounds for the T-10 series...but not sure if they are M's as the engine decks do not match blueprints...

This is a odd one with a strange set of engine deck screens.
Prime Portal

SVSM with what seems to be a more "normal" T-10M:

SVSM T-10 family of vehicles (3 sets of photo's)

Missing Links Thread

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:45 AM UTC
Thanks Anthony. There is a little help there. I always thought the T-10 series was better documented than it now seems to be...hmmmmm.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:50 AM UTC
Unless I am really off, the KVPT used as the co-ax and AAMG on the T-10M is also the same weapon used for the ZPU series of AAMG guns. If so, that might make it a bit easier to get info on it.

Toadman's tank pic of ZPU-1

Obviously there are differences in setup from gun to gun for its intended mission, but I should be able to use a brass barrel for the missing co-axial weapon that is not in the commanders kit. More to come...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 08:55 AM UTC
Intakes on the Commanders kit seem to be a lot like those on the Object 757 prototype...would that be the same on a T-10M?

Obj. 757 at SVSM
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Jacques

T-10 User's manual

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1735

http://www.popmech.ru/blogs/post/341-kak-vyimirali-dinozavryi-poslednie-tyazhelyie-tanki-chast-4/

some walkarounds

T-10 M

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1791

T-10

http://dishmodels.ru/wshow.htm?p=1686

http://photo.qip.ru/users/pakuro/3673829/?page=1

I hope they can be useful

cheers
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 06:27 PM UTC
Guys !

The correct name for this heavy machine gun is KPVT - not KVPT !
EdCraft
Visit this Community
Sverdlovsk, Russia
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
T-10M in Czechoslovakia:
TheGreatPumpkin
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 690 posts
Armorama: 672 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 04:59 AM UTC
Jacques,
Here's the problem you face: there were 2 factories building the beast and they each made 4 variants. They look similar, but were different enough NOT to be interchangable! Anyway, the model is based on the master made by Cookie Sewell for his Military Modeling articles from a ocuple of years ago, so you can be confident that Cookie got it right. He based it on one vehicle and stuck to that, since there are a ton of varaints that are only casually related to one another. I've got the kit as well and should be hammering it out next year sometime. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Georg
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 06:06 AM UTC
Found another source: krasnayazvezda T-10 page

Georg - thanks for the info. There are still some issues that need to be resolved with the kit vs. a real life vehicle. I already understood that the 2 factories put out 4 different vehicles each (plain, A, B and M) but that the -M MIGHT have been more interchangeable than earlier production vehicles, MIGHT being a really big might. My biggest problem/concern is that there are just so few sources of photos and info about the T-10. I really thought it was better documented, but thinking on it, I have no idea why I would have thought that.

Do you know what Cookie's inspirational T-10 tank was? I have yet to find one that has the outside deck vent as in the kit.

The kit has ref pics of a T-10 A/B as listed on thetankmaster, but the images are no longer accessable. Even on that tank those outside vents look different...

I just want to make sure I get my info straight before I do a review and probably put my foot in my mouth...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 06:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Guys !

The correct name for this heavy machine gun is KPVT - not KVPT !

So noted, and thanks. I knew that, just did not type it correctly. But the "system" will not let me edit it out so...
kampfy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 03:54 AM UTC
I'm looking forward to a review of this kit. The T-10m has always been one of my favorite AFV's.
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 04:25 AM UTC
Jacques:
I would recommend the T-10 Heavy Tank book from Russian Books Motor for drawings of the different components of the T-10. Also there is a nice T-10M 4-view drawing and walkaround in the Ground Power Oct 2000 issue (don't know how accurate it is). For a nice 4-view drawing of the T-10A there is a book Эксмо Танковая мощь СССР, page 607 (it seems a factory drawing). Please let me know if you get a copy of this drawing since I have been looking for it.

Best Regards,
Raul Urbina

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 01:21 PM UTC
At your own risk... Farpost

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:56 AM UTC
Jacques,

This is somewhat late in the day but I just wonder if the MIG conversion kit for the Syrian T55 would be a decent enough source for the KVPT 14.5? It comes ready-mounted on a pintle mount so one would assume that the mount would hopefully have been based on the fittings for the T10M.

T10 is one of my favourites and I have a Navigator kit of the T10 awaiting my attentions - but of course,I only have to worry about a 12.7mm!

Regards,

Brian

PS: Did you ever produce the review - and if so - where please?
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 03:19 AM UTC
No review yet. To be honest, I am not quite sure what to say about the kit yet. It is that complicated of a issue and the kit is something of a disappointment. I do have this on my list of things to do, but once I dug into it, I quickly relegated it to the back burner. I think I will have to gather my myself and just dive into this mess to get it sorted out. Once you see the review, you will understand what I am getting at.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:34 AM UTC
Jacques

'Looking forward to it; the Navigator version isn't that much fun either and I've put that one off for at least 5 years! I was going to try an update it to a T10M but have decided against it, although at some stage I'll require an M version, if only to justify the Conqueror I have from Accurate Armour.

Good luck with it all and I look forward to your comments in due course.

Regards,

Brian
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 03:15 PM UTC
Jacques,
I am also looking forward for your review. I have the T-10M Navigator kit and I have been thinking of buying the Commanders kit to build from both a T-10M that I feel comfortable with. Or maybe I will find the courage and time and follow these steps:

http://scalemodels.ru/articles/5738-navigator-1-35-t-10m---poslednijj-monstr.html

Like Cookie Sewell said in his Military Modelling article " If one keeps that in mind and does not have a major problem with building what is only going to be a reasonable approximation of a T-10M, then the project is worthwhile: if you decide you want a spot-on replica of one specific tank, plan on waiting for a good, long while. I opted for 'Column A'".

Hopefully soon I will yield to 'Column A' and just buy the Commander's kit or find a T-10 A/B Navigator kit and build one before I'm too old.

Please let us know if you need any information on the T-10M to finish your review.

Raul
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 04:18 PM UTC
I’m currently work on Commander’s version right now. I’m replacing a lot of the running gear parts with those from tamiya, road wheels, suspension arms, and a few other small parts. Detail is much better with the tamiya parts mine are not cast that great. I had to unwrap the upper hull and plan to rebuild all the storage bins on the side of the hull, some nasty casting in this area. I’ve also noticed that some of the details don’t match up the one that Cookie built, plan to match plan drawings the best I can. The only thing that sucks about the kit is no tracks are included. I have one set of KV-1 tracks from master club and might order another set. But I will post the build once I’m finished with it.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 05:04 PM UTC
Chris, I have many of the problems you are mentioning and was planning to use a Trumpeter IS-3 for parts similar to what you are doing.

And you need the IS3 tracks for it, not KV tracks. Careful. I almost made the same screw up. Trumpeter's 650mm TK-12 tracks should work. I have not tried them on the sprocket yet.

I will start to post notes, and pictures, as I make/take them.
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 05:13 PM UTC
Thanks Jacques for the heads up on the tracks even though the kv tracks fit the sprocket. By the way, do you know if the stowage bin was used on the back of the turret? I'm finding plenty of plans showing it, no pictures of the real deal yet.
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2012 - 05:49 PM UTC

For discussion purposes only

Regards,
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 05:40 AM UTC
http://bemil.chosun.com/nbrd/bbs/view.html?b_bbs_id=10044&pn=0&num=56171 Yes, look at the line on the back of the turret...

http://svsm.org/gallery/t-10/IMGP0716 ...but not always...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 06:01 AM UTC
Just found this link A Russian modelers build of the Navigator kit He did a VERY good job.
 _GOTOTOP