_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Building a Czech T-72M..advice?
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,095 posts
Armorama: 743 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 09:53 AM UTC
Hi all,

well, ive spent some time surfing, googling, and pouring thorugh the forums, including various threads by all the major "whos who" of T-72.

I have the Taymia (what else?) kit, SP front hull, CMK update/detail, Echelon decals, RB barrel, and some older 6 spoke wheels (chesapeake mabye?).

Im still looking for the right turret.

What turret do I need? From pictures the ones I see the front seems to be very "squared" off, like a T-72A Dolly Pardon turret... but then ive heard that is not right for the T-72M.

so any suggestions on the turret? Im also not afraid of some putty work if I can save some cash and rework the taymia kit turret.

It would also appear that some Czech tanks do have the addtional 16mm of armor like the taymia kit hull. And they also seem to have a few that still use the early 8 spoke wheels.

so any advice would be welcome.
thanks!
Andy
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 894 posts
Armorama: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 05:57 PM UTC
Hi Andy,

first of all the 6 spoke wheels are the newer version the 8 spoke are the old ones

you are correct about the glacis plate, I have pics of Czech tanks with this extra plate in a Tankograd book (Tankograd has a few books with Czech T-72 info by the way.

As far as the turret goes, yes you can do without an aftermarket one. The Tamiya one has the wrong shape but is not too bad. If you can find some drawings the problem is easy to correct. I recall I have some drawings in 1:35 but forgot which type, I'll take a look and scan them for you if they are the right ones if you want to. Basically the sides are too round on the back part of the turret and the top-front part is too high, you will indeed need to add some armour to the front of the Tamiya turret which will make it look more "squared" like you said.

cheers

Matthijs
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 - 06:13 PM UTC
Here some very good Czech walkarounds (click on the pics they are huge)

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/tanky/stredni-tank-t-72mk-_velitelsky-tank_/

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/tanky/stredni-tank-t-72m4-cz/

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/tanky/stredni-tank-t-72/

http://www.brdm2.estranky.cz/fotoalbum/tanky/T-72/

I hope they will be useful for you

cheers
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 03:38 AM UTC
Matthijs[/quote]
Quoted Text

Hi Andy,

first of all the 6 spoke wheels are the newer version the 8 spoke are the old ones

Hi Mat...I meant that they were an "older kit", not that the wheel type was old..

Matthijs[/quote]
Quoted Text

I recall I have some drawings in 1:35 but forgot which type, I'll take a look and scan them for you if they are the right ones if you want to.

that would be awesome if you can find some drawings. I would have much more satistfaction fixing the Taymia turret than plunking down $50 for a resin one!
you can email me direct at [email protected] if you wish!
Cheers!
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Here some very good Czech walkarounds (click on the pics they are huge)

Hi Mauro,
Thanks, i spotted those in the pinned thread "building a T-72" at the top of the forum. They are great pictures!

maybe after this one ill do a early T-72 with the gill armour as seen in those pictures.

Cheers
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 04:44 AM UTC
I found them, they are of an T-72M, They were actually in the WWP book of a Czech T-72. I'll scan them at work tomorrow for you
gecon31
Visit this Community
Szczecin, Poland
KitMaker: 204 posts
Armorama: 204 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 04:50 AM UTC
Hi!! If you want to see how to build a czech T-72 M4 take a look at here:

http://www.modelwork.pl/viewtopic.php?f=87&t=26439

I know it`s a polish forum and every word is in polish language but I think that those pictures will tell you everything.
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found them, they are of an T-72M, They were actually in the WWP book of a Czech T-72. I'll scan them at work tomorrow for you

Thanks so much!!
Andy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 03, 2012 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it`s a polish forum and every word is in polish language but I think that those pictures will tell you everything.

thanks, however I think I want to do a M1 using the Echelon decal sheet. Though I will keep the M4 info in mind for a future project!
Cheers
Andy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 03:52 AM UTC
I was able to borrow a WWP T-72 M/ M1 book from a friend, which is fantastic so I can detail this baby up a bit.

Im going to do some drawing/kit turret comparisons as I think I am going to dress up and correct the kit turret vs. going aftermarket.

And I may stick with the addtional armor on the front as well. I will be correcting some of the detail issues on the upper hull too.

build log to start soon!!
cheers
Andy
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hi Andy,
Verlinden should have an engine/bay out soon (hopefully) which includes a corrected engine deck. I'm waiting for that before I start my Finnish T-72M1. More Finnish splinter!

Cheers,
Jim
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 05:32 AM UTC
Jim,
The T-72 engine bay is already available:
http://www.verlindenonline.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2170

Andy,
Be careful with the KMT mine plow/roller mounts on the SP designs as if I remember, it is for a Russian T-72. George Keseyan did an awesome job for a T-72M you many want to look:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/105563#871592

Good luck with your T-72,
Raul
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Be careful with the KMT mine plow/roller mounts on the SP designs as if I remember, it is for a Russian T-72.

I think I am going to keep the kit uparmored hull, as it looks like the later Czech T-72 M1 have this feature, along with 6 spoke wheels. So that should keep me from needing to worry about the KMT mounts.

Now I am armed with the WWP book, so Ill be going over each area in detail and seeing what improvements I need to make.

Cheers,
Andy
skyhawk
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Andy,
Verlinden should have an engine/bay out soon (hopefully) which includes a corrected engine deck. I'm waiting for that before I start my Finnish T-72M1. More Finnish splinter!

Cheers,
Jim

Hey Jim, good to meet you in person at AMPS!
after your comment, I took another look at that Verlinden offering (normaly I barely look at verlinden stuff). Though that $30+ price tag makes me want to cough a bit....

I wonder if a certain favorite Korean manufacturer would be interested in doing a corrected T-72 deck.......
junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 11:08 AM UTC
Nice to meet you Guys too!
That would be good; I would rather just have the correct engine deck rather than having to shell out for the engine and bay as well.

Jim
chefchris
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,544 posts
Armorama: 1,464 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whoa.... great work. I bought the Panzershop set when it came out yrs ago and boy was i dissappointed with my $90.00 purchase.

Didn't Iraq obtain a lot of T-72 G from Czech sources back before GW 1?

Chris
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 05:41 PM UTC
I also have that M4 Panzershop conversion and it is indeed crap Still havent't had the guts to start working on it
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2012 - 06:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There are some impressive jobs there, thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP