_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Grass color
Marcoian
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hello all,
this is my first post here, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest me a good color or color mix to paint spring/summer green grass (preferably Tamiya, but other brands will also do). Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Marco
War_Machine
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 702 posts
Armorama: 385 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 09:22 AM UTC
Hello Marco
Let me be the first to welcome you to the site.
As far as question is concerned, I usually paint grassy areas with a base color of olive green and then highlight with dark yellow and flat yellow. More often than not using just one color to paint grass yields a pretty unconvincing finish, in my opinion. I suppose you could use dark green for a base if you're trying for a more lush field of grass. It's just my personal experience that grass in warmer times looks more realistic if there are some lighter/dried out areas as well.
Hope this helps a little.
Marcoian
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hello Ed,
thank you very much for your reply, I'll give it a try.
Cheers,
Marco
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
Armorama: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 09:46 PM UTC
This answer assumes we're talking about grass in the wild, not a well-kept lawn.

Grass looks quite different in spring and in summer. In early spring it's just coming back to life after the winter and will be a mix of light yellowy-green (new growth) and light brown (old growth).

In mid-spring the fresh growth will just about mask all the old stuff, and the flowers will be starting to show - they turn the tips various colours but the most common is a silvery-green.

As summer comes on, the leaves darken (as do trees' leaves) and the flowers start to ripen into seed, which starts the same silvery-green but slowly goes light brown as it matures. A lot of grass species have slightly blue-green leaves when they're mature.

In high summer, left to its own devices, grass will eventually turn brown. It's like a field of wheat - which is, after all, just cultivated grass. But there will still be green growth near the base, especially if it's cut back. It will also vary a lot in height.

Only cultivated fields have one variety of grass. Wild grassland is a mixture of species that will vary in colour and in their growth patterns. Also, the local soil and climate have a lot of influence over what grows and how quick its life-cycle is. So, as I always end up saying - your best bet is to check what location you're wanting to model, and then look for pictures of that specific place. For these purposes they won't need to be contemporary wartime photos.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello all,
this is my first post here, I would be very grateful if someone could suggest me a good color or color mix to paint spring/summer green grass (preferably Tamiya, but other brands will also do). Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
Marco

instead of painting my grassy areas usually get the stuff for train layouts from a company called woodland sceanics they have all differect things you can use for grass or weelds or any other kind of plants
Marcoian
Visit this Community
Italy
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hello,
thank you all for your tips, I made some grass from natural fiber because I wanted do depict the very irregular aspect of a country field, for the same purpose I'll also use some paper plants by Fredericus Rex.
Cheers,
Marco
 _GOTOTOP