_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Replacement Tracks for Vulcan Vickers kit?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 04:57 PM UTC
Does anyone know if a set of replacement tracks is available for the Vulcan British Light Tank (Vickers)kit at all or in the near future?

Cheers
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 06:39 PM UTC
I don't know of any Cliff. The detail on the kit tracks is a bit 'soft' but they aren't too bad to assemble, just a bit fiddley to clean up.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 07:35 PM UTC
I did a bit of browsing and found that Friulmodels has them listed as "coming soon"

http://www.friulmodel.hu/en/
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 07:55 PM UTC
Did the Vulcan happen to use the same tracks as the Universal Carrier? I'm no expert on the subject, but the tracks as well as the running gear look very similar to me.

If that is the case, Modelkasten makes non-working Universal Carrier tracks. Quite fiddly and time-consuming to make, they do look fabulous when done.
25PDRFG
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 187 posts
Armorama: 181 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 08:36 AM UTC
try resincast failing that accurate armour or cromwellall have carrier or mk1vs listed
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 09:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

try resincast failing that accurate armour or cromwellall have carrier or mk1vs listed

I wouldn't use resin tracks, as they have to be heated to bend around the sprockets and idlers - the Vulcan suspension is far too fragile to cope with that.
ChrisDM
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 697 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 04:54 PM UTC
The fragility or otherwise of suspension should be an issue?

If you heat the track correctly it should form around the suspension just fine

International Models Asian, and has been said; Resicast make Universal Carrier track in resin. Personally I have found the AA track is not that great

Modelkasten make the only universal carrier track in indy link but it is RARE. I am always on the look out for it and have so far only acquired two sets. It is OOP and a look on the wants boards on various sites reveals a lot of people are lookig for it. A saved search on ebay may be your best bet

I would be incredible suprised, bowled over stunned in fact, if Fruil manage to make these in white metal. The tracks are the most delicate I have ever seen in 1/35 scale. Even if they could be cast in white metal the hole for the 'pins' would be miniscule and in white metal the links would be prone to bending very easily when you tried to insert the pin

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I look forward to seeing how they achieve it!

With any luck someone close to modelkasten will encourage them to re-release it on the back of the vulcan vickers kits
 _GOTOTOP