_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Best OOB T-72
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 05:45 PM UTC
Hi Gentlemen,

What is the best T-72 kit OOB excluding the Tamiya kit, without having to do conversion and total overhauls to make accurate. just a good solid T-72, maybe T-80 or variant of it that i can do a little scratch building if needed. Thanks for any responces.

Gary
kruppw
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,117 posts
Armorama: 1,115 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hey Gary, Tamiya kit is the only one to go with right now. It's still not 100% correct, the lower hull is an M1 series, but from what I've read, the turret is only good for an East German variant. I could be wrong, but I do know that if you want a russian variant, you will need some aftermarket parts for the hull and turret. Good luck with the T-80, there is no correct model out there yet. Dragon/zvezda kit are dimensionly wrong and well the skif kit is just crap.

Chris
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 06:32 PM UTC
...Tamiya kit aside all the T-72 and t-80 kits are awful, Gary

The "best" is the old DML one which now is sold by Revell and Zvezda...but although it looks nicely moulded, actually it's full of inaccuracies.

Russian AFV fans like me have been waiting for a decent kit for ages. We hope in a Trupeter release, but nothing has been made yet.

If I were you I'd wait. If you are eager to build a Russian tank, you can build a Tamiya T-55 oor a new Zvezda T-90

Cheers
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 08:59 PM UTC
Hi Gary,

As Mauro said (Hi Mauro), except Tamiya's, any good OOB T-72 doesn't exist nor T-80, you have to use conversions or scratch build them.. Maybe you can wait for it, if you have the patience..

Beside that, the best T-72 is Tamiya's with Miniarm conversions in my opinion..

Good luck

CC
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 09:39 PM UTC
Hi Cagkan

The lack of a T-72 decent kit really puzzles me!

Many kits depicting the oddest subjects have been produced in the latest years. Some of them are about vehicles incredibly rare. Think for exemple to Tamiya Bt-42.. The real tank has been produced in only 42 exemplars! Also some of the DML panzer kits actually are replicas of prototypes which have never fought...
In spite of that, one of the most diffuse tank of the Warsav pact, a tank that many countres all over the world have been employed for an incredibly long time, a really "history maker".... is still overlooked by the kit companies

That's a SHAME INDEED !
cagkancakir
Visit this Community
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 434 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 09:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many kits depicting the oddest subjects have been produced in the latest years. Some of them are about vehicles incredibly rare. Think for exemple to Tamiya Bt-42.. The real tank has been produced in only 42 exemplars! Also some of the DML panzer kits actually are replicas of prototypes which have never fought...
In spite of that, one of the most diffuse tank of the Warsav pact, a tank that many countres all over the world have been employed for an incredibly long time, a really "history maker".... is still overlooked by the kit companies

That's a SHAME INDEED !

I really can't understand this matter either, T-72s are out there for close research since the Soviets collapsed, many countries (some of them are NATO countries now) still using them as a main tank.. So big companies, what are you waiting for?? They have weird marketing strategies that investing in hardly known vehicles instead of widely used (and using) tank..

By the way, I am waiting a decent T-72 from Zvezda after their success in T-90..

CC
Krokogen
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 137 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, May 04, 2012 - 10:35 PM UTC
Unfortunately at the moment the only good model T-72 - a Tamiya.
Dragon / Zvezda - a very simplistic and wrong.
T-80 is not a modification of the T-72. T-80 model is available only from Dragon / Zvezda also incorrect.

T-90 from the Zvezda unfortunately also did not meet expectations of ten years, the model is wrong about everything. Do not hope for the correct T-72 of them.

I hope remained meng model, who said the line t-72/90, and judging by the latest new product (merkava 3d) can do it.

For updates to Tamiya model worth taking only products of Miniarm

Of course all of the above applies to 35 scale.
BBD468
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 2,465 posts
Armorama: 2,383 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 01:15 PM UTC
Thanks for all the responces gentlemen! i really appreciate it.

Well crap! It really makes no sense to me that the Tamiya kit is still the only offering on that subject. I would rather spend the money on the T-90 and wait for a good T-72 release from Trumpeter or the like. But how long will that wait be? The T-72 is my 2nd favorite modern russian Tank outside the T-62. I really want to build the ZTZ 99 with Digital camo some day aswell. Is there any rumors of a new T-72 kit stirring about? Also, what are the best Upgrade options for the Tamiya T-72 if i get impatient waiting for another kit? Thanks again fellas for all the help.

Gary
 _GOTOTOP