Wespe M16? Opinions?
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi all,

I'm usually an aircraft guy, and have spent plenty of time on the P-47 SIG and ARC. Due to a change in career venue, I've found myself with a bit of a shift in focus and have started doing more armor as a result. I've always built 48th aircraft, so 48th Armor is fitting in nicely.

Since my work focus is Air Defense Artillery (I'm the new director of the Army's ADA Museum) and we've got an M15 and two M16s in the collection (one running!) I was looking for an M16 that I can take home with me at the end of the day.

I found the Wespe kit online, and after finishing a Gaso.line M1 40mm Bofors and converting a Hobby Boss M4A3 to a 105mm Howitzer version, I figured it'd be the next logical step. Looking at the pics of the Wespe kit, the windshield armor looks incorrect, but has anyone built this kit?

I'd planned on ordering the Kengi M3 and scratchbuilding an M45D mount, but if the Wespe kit is worth it, I'll go that route and convert the Kengi kit to an M15.

Thanks all!

Jon
GregCloseCombat
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,408 posts
Armorama: 2,394 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 11:44 AM UTC
Hi, I haven't ever tried a wespe kit but here's a link for those who have
http://www.network54.com/Forum/433829/thread/1290564708/last-1296413878/Who's+built+Wespe+resin+kits-

also, I think Bandai did one too

Sure wish an updated HT line would become available.
Cobrahistorian
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 710 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2012 - 12:25 PM UTC
Hey Greg,

Thanks very much for the link, I kinda had that suspicion.

I think I'm probably going to stick with the Kengi route then. I can cast and scratchbuild the turret and the M16-specific stuff.

The Bandai kit is waaaay over scale and wrong in just about every dimension. I've got one of the M13s sitting in my office and it looks weird, especially sitting next to the Tamiya 1:35th M16. It's nearly as wide, but stubbier in length. It would take a significant amount of surgery to get it right.

Oh well...

Jon
 _GOTOTOP