_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Quick Halloween Campaign FOR ALL !
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:42 AM UTC

My dearest fellow modelers,

I'm not named General Faillure without reason. I suggest to you a quick and dirty campaign, for ALL to join in. Nah, not a real modeling campaign. But I'm sure many will join in.

In a few days, many of us start to work at the exciting Market Garden Campaign. But even if you don't do Market Garden, this may be something for you.

If your modeling table looks any bit like mine does at this moment, you really NEED to join us in the Big General Faillure Halloween Modeling Table Cleanup Extravaganza !

(At this point I can't resist copying a few fellow modelers' pictures from another forum thread here )

Since organizing campaigns is subject to specific rules I don't want to break, I'll babtize this an Extravaganza instead. These are the rules :

Timing : this upcoming weekend : 25 and 26 October 2003
Specifics :
- discard all rubbish and loose ends, shavings and sandings, cuttings, leftovers... from your work area
- everything that belongs in boxes, should be placed inside those boxes, and the boxes on the shelf where they belong
- put some order in your kits, in your paint jars,...
- completely empty your working table, and clean it. (at this point you may want to make sure your wife is an accidental witness to what you are doing ! )
- empty your modeling table garbage bin (if you don't already have one this may be a good moment to consider installing one)
- replace old knife blades, sharpen them, replace old brushes, clean brushes, give your airbrush a thorough cleaning
- you may also want to use the opportunity to install a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit near your work area
- make sure your wife knows what you have done. You can remind her the coming twelve or so years when she complains about your modeling area.
- get a roll of fresh kitchen towel or tissues, dust everything, air the room for a day or so to get rid of those lingering paint smells
- vacuum the room (or have it vacuumed by the first curious family member who is attracted by the stumbling noises in your work area)
- sharpen your pencils, discard pens and markers that are dried up
- check your stocks : do you have the glues, the paints and the tools you need to start a new campaign ?
- do whatever else you thing that may be useful to improve your working area
Rewards : Since this is not a campaign : no ribbon. But maybe Jim is willing to add a small garbage can in your profile if you join in.
Proof : if you can take before and after pics, that would be nice. But if you don't have a camera, you're just as welcome to join in. All you need to do is commit your name in a reply here below. And if you have any good ideas how to improve the work area with fellow modelers, please POST THEM HERE !!!

Who's joining ???
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:49 AM UTC
Hey - can you see through that magnifying glass on that black light???????
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:02 AM UTC
Alright, you shamed me. I am going to go take the "before" picutres right now.

Shaun #:-) #:-) #:-)
airwarrior
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
Armorama: 1,227 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:29 AM UTC
looks at my horrible evil desk.........its sad.......you know,this is A DAY after I cleaned it up #:-)

A WHOLE DAY!!!!

I'll probably eneter this,might do a dml cleanthrough,with the vacum formed cleanliness pack by verlinden #:-)
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:41 AM UTC
Well, if Keenan is joining because he's shamed, I'm....

Laughing!

No - I'll join in too and take a picture of my carefully crafted chaos this evening...

Gunnie
boosahmer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 651 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
it sounds like a fantastic idea, except for one little thing......I clean up the workspace, move things around and out of the way, and when I step back to see what I've accomplished, all I do is mess up another area....sigh...so I'll pass on this campaign, and keep the mess right where I can handle it best! #:-) #:-) #:-)
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:08 AM UTC
Okay, just got back up from the hell hole. Awfully damp down there but it is mine. The Stack o Kits are in an upstairs closet. So, here is the picture. I promise I will take a picture from the same angle on Monday or Tuesday. The cleaning gaunlet has been thrown down and I must defend my honor. Please be aware that this is only half of the room were the magic happens. There is a cabinet with a TV and VCR in another corner.

Shaun "Bustin' out the broom and paint this weekend" Keenan

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey - can you see through that magnifying glass on that black light???????

I think that one's mine!!... is there a magnifying glass in there?

Just remember... things were pretty tidy when I took that pic! :-)

I'll post a pic if I get things looking tidier... but it won't last!

All the best

Rowan
jrnelson
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 719 posts
Armorama: 566 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:51 AM UTC
I'm in with my before shots...

People tell me I'm pretty anal - lol....... I wonder what gives them that idea? Anyway, this is about as messy as "my space" gets. I'll post some more pics after a good thorough cleaning
This is my workbench.. I have all the academy M-10 sprues laid out for inventory. This little baby will find it's way into my trench dio eventually. (Can't start it yet

This is my "on deck" pile. These are the lucky few that have made it out of the closet. They will be completed in a timely fashion..... hehe

This is my "aftermarket" stash... this junk is destined for the "on deck" kits.... I have no idea what is in these boxes. Now would be a good time to go through all this stuff.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:14 PM UTC
Clean carpet and drywall!! Heck, where do you guys spill your paint and flip you cigarette butts? You can't airbrush your walls? Man, that sucks. At least you don't have to fight the spiders like I do.

Great work areas, everyone. Mine is still a work in progress but it is better than anything I have ever had so I am happy.

Shaun
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:38 PM UTC
Allright Keenan - this is truth and reality here!

I haven't touched my "room" since Sunday evening rounds of beer in my Workshop. Drank away my sorrows when my team ('da BROWNS) actually lost another they were supposed to win...

I ain't just showin' one pic of my chaos - but five of them. It takes more than one to get in all this splendor!

I took this straightaway when I got home from work this afternoon - no deviation other than to kiss the wife "hello". I've got all manners of stuff here - and a lesson to those who don't own their own space. I can quickly clutter up my 15 x 10 room without thinking about it. Wife doesn't enter unless she's wearing a Badge, and signs the Access List. Hint, let the spouse in more often and things might not get cluttered.

For the sharp-eyed - yes - I do have our Propane Tank and Patio Caddie Grill in my Workshop. I wish I had a creative reason to tell you why I do...

By the Weekend's End - I shall have it all back into my IKEA-style cabinet where it's supposed to go...

Gunnie
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
Ahhh Gunnie, I am on to you now, Badges? Kisses? Obviously something is amiss in that so called modeling room. Perhaps badges to measure radiactivity. Kisses to assure your spouse that you haven't infected the house while she was away? Oh, yeah, I am on it...

A grill, inside the house? Dead give away...

I am on to you.

Shaun
GunTruck
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 01:18 PM UTC
VBG!!! :-)

I'm more Soviet than both GIB and Jacques put together! I knew the sharp-eyed would catch on!!!

Gunnie #:-)
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
Gunnie....
You got a Teddy in your room?!? A Teddy..?????
Real modelers ain't got no Teddy!
Real modelers got ...................................A Penguin! !

KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 05:55 PM UTC
General Failure.... man - what a mess... wait - is that Jimmy Hoffa I see over there underneath that pile of rubble in the corner! Hey - mystery solved!!!!
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Who's joining ???

NOT ME! like Marty says if it's not messy it's not creative
best not show this thread she'll have me sign up in no time
waterboy
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 332 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 09:02 PM UTC
CLEAN UP CLEAN UP!!!! Don't be absurd. Did anyone ask Rembrandt or Picasso to clean up. I'm an artist not a housemaid. My workspace is just another way of expessing my artistic talent :-) :-) Huh My wife didn't buy that line of crap either. Now wheres my dust rag?
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
Hi,
My name is Tankcarl,and I have a messy work area.I give myself to a higher authority,namely any DSB member with a lower #.
I accept my failings at keeping my area clean.
I promise to clean my bench.
I will strive in the future to clean it one day at a time.

Then,

I WILL BUILD MORE MODELS !!!!!!!!!

(++) (++) 49 (++) (++)
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
k. I'm in. Anyway my mom told my that if i won'c clean my room she's gonn take a hammer and use it on all my models so i think i should clean up. I will take before and after pics and cya..
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC

I actually cleaned up my workarea last week after my wife made this comment,
"ummmm, it's getting a little out of control over here..."
Do I still get my ribbon??

BTW- Ikea has these great wooden CD boxes that are great for holding all sorts of modeling supplies. I put my revolving brush holder thingy on top.

Peter
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:20 AM UTC
Does this mean all my spider friends have to go?? Whos gonna take my flying sprue jumpers then?? Oh well, I'll try to dust around them.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:21 AM UTC
Mine will be cleaned........Packe dup to get Moved!!!!!! to a new house!!!!!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My dearest fellow modelers,

I'm not named General Faillure without reason. I suggest to you a quick and dirty campaign, for ALL to join in. Nah, not a real modeling campaign. But I'm sure many will join in.

In a few days, many of us start to work at the exciting Market Garden Campaign. But even if you don't do Market Garden, this may be something for you.

If your modeling table looks any bit like mine does at this moment, you really NEED to join us in the Big General Faillure Halloween Modeling Table Cleanup Extravaganza !

Is this really you? or has your wife stolen your call sign in a bid to get modelers of the world (yourself included) to tidy up the organised chaos we make?
Besides Halloween is supposed to be scary and believe me my work area is!!!!!
Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 483 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:54 AM UTC
I am going to join even though my area is clean atthe moment. if you look at the 'describe your workarea' thread those pics are clean, b/c I wanted to tidy up for that thread... two days later it's a mess again!
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:22 PM UTC
Believe it or not, I do 98% of my modeling when I'm at work. Tough job, huh? Anyway, my work area is whatever table I set my tool box beside. So I have to completely clean my stuff up as I go. I do have one question for Gunnie:

What's the deal with the two purple lighbulbs? Are they the "True View" or whatever they call them? Do they make a difference?

Patrick

_GOTOTOP