_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The Wall : 1/16 scale. Pictures
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:07 AM UTC
I promised some pictures about the 1/16 dio I'm building.

While I'm at it, I'll show you the steps I took to do this.

I started off with a large piece of Ytong building block

You can find these at any DIY store for about a dollar a piece.

Ytong is a fun material to work with. It looks like ready-made scale concrete, and it cuts very easily with any sharp object. I used a scribling tool to cut mine. You can find a scribling tool (very practical little gimmick I really couldn't do without ! ) at micromark for 11.95 USD.

Within the Ytong, I designed the scale version of a 5 by 2.5 meters concrete slab, including cracks and details.
I then cast a silicone mold, and copied the concrete slab in hard plaster. I use Keramofix, a German brand for that. I understand you can compare this with the so-called "dentist plaster". This makes exact copies, hard en perfectly cast.
I made several of these, changed a few to make sure they are not all identical, and placed them together to form a concrete truck parking area.
The picture shows the scribed piece of Ytong on the right, the silicone mold on the left.

To build the wall, I did the exact same thing. Thanks to the Ytong texture, the brick wall gets a rich, realistic feel of an old industrial building. Two slabs were glued together to form one huge wall section. This was primed, then sprayed black, then sprayed brick-colors.
When dry, I sprinkled dry tile glue (a sort of cement) in the seems. I dusted it around with a broad make-up brush so the cement stayed nicely inside the cracks and hardly on top of the bricks. I then carefully sprayed a mist of water over it all and let dry.

I was very pleased with the result. I tried to make an artistic picture with the business end of my M35 fuel supply truck in the foreground, but the whole thing looks a bit foggy. But I can tell you : it looks so real that some of my model soldiers come down to pee against it !

You'll get the rest of this story later tonight. I gotta go down to cook dinner now : we've friends coming over to eat sushi and I should have been preparing that since about half an hour already. My wife is now yelling for me to come down, so I have to abondon ship here an now. Cya !

More pics to follow.

yours truly , the soon to be black-eyed General Failure
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 06:16 AM UTC
Permission to pick on you sir - you're cooking sushi ? #:-)

The wall looks Great, another reason to got to Lowes!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Permission to pick on you sir - you're cooking sushi ?

Yessir ! I've a black belt in Sushi, Sashimi and Bento
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
but,
cooking sushi?

isn't that a contradiction ?

Can't wait to see more photos- looks interesting!

Anyone know if Ytong is available in the US?

Peter
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:15 AM UTC
Good grief , you've got the Swedish Cook avatar !!! :-) :-) :-)

You're right, you don't cook sushi. But the rice needs to be cooked first. You know this isn't my mother tongue....
 _GOTOTOP