_GOTOBOTTOM
MAFVA Forum
The official forum for the Miniature AFV Association.
Hosted by Tom Cromwell
Tankette 47-3
Scribe
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 03:18 AM UTC
All
Well Tankette 47-3 is now in the hands of TNT and hopefully those in the UK should get theirs by the weekend or early next week. Below you will find Paul Middleton’s review of the issue.
The next issue is well on the way & will be printed just after the MAFVA Nationals in June. If you are due to renew do not hang about as we are printing just enough to cover membership.

Regards
Neil

Tankette 47-3 review by Paul Middleton
Issue three of 2012 has arrived with yet another splendid cover photo, this time an M4A4 Sherman. Inside the cover is a page of photos of 88mm FlaK 18 (both real and small scale) to go with john Rulton’s excellent article.
Page 3 as always carries the Association admin details, Neil’s editorial about recent kits, and a short preview of the MAFVA Nationals.
We then turn to John Rulton’s article on building the FlaK 18 in “Braille Scale” Part 2. This is an extremely well rounded article as it describes where to source the parts, how to build it, and backs the words up with plenty of photos, website references and a set of plans by Geoff Lacey. This is very similar in approach to the old Chris Ellis articles from Airfix Magazine in the 1970’s, which allow an average modeller to improve a model, or built something different, and John has improved on the style!
Chris Lloyd-Staples provides reviews of the Masterclub replacement wheel set for GAZ-AAA based vehicles, and also Albion Alloys tubing.
The centrespread for this issue is the SdKfz 250/1 Ausf. A (Alte) mit 2,5cm (Hotchkiss SA 34) PaK 112(f). Bit of a mouthful, not unusual for German designations. This is in fact the ‘Old Model’ 1 ton Armoured half-track but fitted with the French 25mm anti-tank gun. I can only recall one photo of such a combination, in service in North Africa, so it may have been a one-off. Five 1/35th scale views of this small vehicle should make life easy to convert the basic kits from any scale.
If Interwar British armoured cars interest you then Dick Harley has given us a splendid article on the Lanchester armoured cars. Building on a previous article and combining information from other sources, Dick has expanded the knowledge of this archaic armoured car giving names, locations and markings, as well as information sources.
A follow up on the article in the previous issue on waterproofing brings some interesting corrections and observations by Robert Lockie. We then have the ‘John Ham page’ of reviews covering kits from Armourfast and Airfix, decals by Mike Starmer and Kingfisher and a book from Osprey.
The final article for this issue is a kit bash to build the Chieftain Khalid. This obscure (for most of us) AFV was the half way stage between the Chieftain and Challenger, and was sold to Jordan. As well as photos of the model at various stages is a beautiful photo of the Khalid at Bovington Taken by John Woolford. Another great issue with a variety of subjects, the magazine can be obtained from the usual sources or via this website. Paul Middleton 1528 15/05/2012
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 12:49 AM UTC

Haven't had mine yet (but not unusual as post is a bit funny where I'm concerned), but I remain hopeful and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Jason
Scribe
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2012 - 08:06 PM UTC
All
The Tankette 47-3 has started arriving in the UK, several reports in so far.
Neil
Sunray
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 146 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 - 07:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Haven't had mine yet (but not unusual as post is a bit funny where I'm concerned), but I remain hopeful and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Jason

Hello Jason,

I can confirm that you were on the mailing list. So keep watching.

Gary Williams
MAFVA President

Membership Secretary
Back Issues
Jasonbee71
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 686 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC

Evening Gary,

It arrived this morning, look forward to sitting down with it and a cup of tea later on........

Jason
 _GOTOTOP