_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
The Wall : 1/16 scale pictures part 2
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
Where were we ? Oh yes, that wall.
Once the wall was finished, I added a rusty rainpipe (8 mm tubing, sprinkled with tile cement, spraypainted, weathered and washed).

Then I started painting the wall. First came faded black letters that should spell something like "...natie" and "... Antwerpen", typical inscriptions for Antwerp port warehouses. You see them on the left top of the pictures, very faint.
Then came the graffiti tags and "pieces". I found some nice examples on the internet, and had a lot of fun painting these. Maybe I should now try my luck on a REAL wall in the Antwerp docks
When the tags were finished, I sprayed a faint black coating over them to give them a worn and weathered look.

When the wall and the concrete were painted, I assembled the elements into a diorama, adding a section of dirt. There are some bushes of grass against the borderstone, made from painted chestnut rusks.

The dirt is made up of plaster. On top there's a layer of tile cement (this is really a magic compound to make dio's !) mixed with shavings of red brick. It gives a "dirty" aspect.

All that was lavishly washed with a white spirit / oil paint mixture in black and browns.

To paint everything except the wash, I used Vallejo and Vallejo Game Color paints
. These come in a range of fabulously vibrant colors. Vallejo is too thick to spraypaint (Vallejo Airbrush is not for sale in Belgium), but I discovered you can easily dissolve Vallejo paint with Instanet, a detergent to clean windows with. Instanet and Vallejo make a wonderful marriage. I use an Evolution airbrush. It took some trial and error to find the right mixture, but 50 to 60 % instanet works best. To mix the paint, I use water bottle caps. I collect them at the office, and you see my supply (blue caps) in the container on the left of the picture. I mix the paint in there, then discard them after use. Using them twice could send fractions of dried paint into the paintbrush, and you know what a spoiler it is to have to stop to dissemble your gun, clean it and oil it before you can go back to the shooting range.

All I needed to do next is throw in the M35 and the dio's almost done. I have some more grasses and leafier plants to add, and I need a few figures to make it complete. I'll work on that after the Market Garden campaign.

That more or less rounds up the story. If you need any more info, plse feel free to PM me.

Jan
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thats impressive work! You could probably pass off that wall as being real. Cant wait to see it finished.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:29 AM UTC
General you are a true artist... Well done, those graffiti look incredible. I remember you were thinking of "tagging" the M35 as well; is that still on?

Mario M.
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 12:42 PM UTC
Well done Jan! That wall looks absolutely fantastic - you'd swear it was the real thing. Thanks for the tips, especially about the tile cement - looks great!

Cheeers,

Cokes.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:33 PM UTC
All i can say is "WOW!"

There is a large chunk of the actual Berlin Wall here in Dallas (at the Anatole Hotel), and your rendition looks "SPOT-ON"... very realistic!
Machu
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:51 PM UTC
That's a nice wall there :-) nice graffiti
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:12 PM UTC
Jan,

impressive work dude !!!! I love the looks of the grafitti ! I had to look a couple of times to get convinced that the first picture wasn't a real wall....

Awesome detailing !

How did you do the rust effect on the rainpipe
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:23 PM UTC
Very very good work.It was a pleasure to see that..Congrats Jan
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 09:11 PM UTC
Absolutely brilliant Jan. The wall is amazing! Everything from the graffiti, the drain-pipe, the mortar, the weeds, to the worn appearance all are perfectly made. Im glad you decided to spare the truck from the pens of the vandals. When finished this will look awesome. Great work overall!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(Danny) How did you do the rust effect on the rainpipe

8mm plastic tube, with 2 mm wide strips of lead folded around at the rainpipe suspension points. I wet the whole thing and then sprinkled some of my *magic* tile cement to create the crubled rust effect. Then painted a primer (spray can automotive repair primer ) and sprayed a range of rust, reddish brown and orange (Vallejo acrylics) over it. Added some highlights and then gave it all a washing in brown tones. (oil color in white spirit suspension). Then glued the whole thing in place. The wall behind the pipe was sprayed with a hint of black to create a shadow effect. At the suspension points, some washing in rust tones was applied to imitate the effect of rusty rainwater on the bricks.

Quoted Text

(Plasticbattle) Im glad you decided to spare the truck from the pens of the vandals.

My Irish friend, vandals are vandals. No matter how good something looks, they hit it with their spray cans. The reason I have not yet done it, is because the truck has no large single surface to spray something on. I consider tagging the cabin side, even including windows. Then add a soldier (or a Belgian civilian Antwerp policeman) and two US MP's assessing the 'damage". But whatever happens, I decided to scratch those soldiers first, and do the truck tagging after that. Maybe this could be some anti-war tag. There were quite a few of those around at the beginning of the Gulf wars. That would make an interesting diorama.
I'll go and find some suitable soldiers this afternoon or in the coming weeks.
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 - 12:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

.Thanks for the tips, especially about the tile cement.

This is something I discovered by accident. A few diorama's ago, I needed regular cement, but the bag I kept in the basement was dried up. A box of cement tile was sitting there on a shelf and I decided to try that as an alternative.
Tile cement has a clear advantage over regular cement (for modeling purposes) : it contains elements of glue that are required to keep your tiles against the wall for years. Once it's on, it STAYS on. Cement often starts to crackle from your dio after a few year. Furthermore, the stuff is quite sticky when wet, and it dries quickly.
I recommend you give it a try ! It comes in many colors. I have white and dark grey. Dark colors work best. They already have an almost "natural" color when you apply them. The white version really needs painting, whereas the dark version can be stained with washings, allowing more variation...
IDHUNTER
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:15 PM UTC
Very nice! Do you have more photos of the M35?...possibly posted earlier?
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 06:01 PM UTC
Jan, this graffity doesnt look real, IT IS real. Many congrats on your work, the sharing of your techniques and the idea. I hope when finished i ll see the whole scene.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 08:52 AM UTC
Hey Jan .... I just noticed the yellow box of the evolution airbrush. I have this under the christams tree .... only one week left to get my hands on it. What are your thoughts on this airbrush ... any tips? Cheers
 _GOTOTOP