_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Dachau dio idea
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:31 AM UTC
Hi,
somebody posted about the idea of making a dio set in Dachau recently, I can't find the post but thought who ever it was might be interested to know that there is a documentry on the liberation of Belson next week on channel 5 (this is uk t.v). I know its not Dachau but there could be some interesting footage on there for you. Especially if it shows the areas where the russian troops were held.
If you are in the uk, i think its on wednesday at 8pm.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 11:44 AM UTC
Mar,
there is nothing left of the site were the russian troops were held I have the vistors center book on it and they more or less lived in holes in the ground there are about 50,000
russians buried behind the main site incedently the soviets made a spelling mistake on the memorial there. not to far away the other side of hohne the rail head were they used to march them to the camp from is still in use today . and also in fallingbostel there is another
lot of mass graves of between 20-30,000 pole and slavs. Last time I was at the camp they were excevating one of the old huts . its a very strange place to vist. by the way my brother in law is off to Auschwitz with the school this weekend
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 01:51 PM UTC
I have a few pictures of Dachau camp taken in 1973 if someone's interested. There was only one barrack bldg standing, guard towers, the incinerators and the admin building that is (or was) a museum. A rew pics of posters etc inside the admin bldg.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 03:20 PM UTC
kkeefe... if you have pictures, POST EM... would love to see what you have!
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 679 posts
Armorama: 409 posts
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2003 - 08:53 PM UTC
Mike, i know theres nothing left its all been lanscaped i was at "Fally" on excercise on the 59th anniversay so we all went down to visit and pay our respects. It may be that the programme shows original footage of what it was like then. I know dachau was an "Arbeitslager" think thats write, my german is rusty though, Work camp. But it may have something which may help the dio builder.
 _GOTOTOP